99% sure I'm going to quit my membership

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you have good company (regular playing partner?) then it could well be worth every penny.
I know a lot of people but they have to WORK for a living..... then at weekends they actually seem to spend time with their families too... i don't know how they can even justify their own memberships!!!! :p

I agree with you. I play once every two weeks because of work/family commitments. And when I do play, I feel I need to stay for a drink after the round (even though I don't drink), otherwise others will think I'm rude and that makes playing in comps with these members a bit tricky. When in truth, I don't drink and I need to get back home to help with the baby.

Most of the guys I play with are playing 3 times a week. They therefore definitely get their money's worth.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Still a 1% chance I might not but I'm fighting to justify paying £1050 per year to play as little as I do.
I keep telling myself that I could play more but I just don't think that's going to happen.

If I play every week somewhere else with either a 2-for-1 voucher and some nice person off the forum or a members guest rate it'll cost probably about £20-£25, if I did that for the 20 weeks per year that the sun is out then that's a total outlay of £400/500 and probably a whole lot more fun that playing round the 18 temps we have out at the moment and (probably) doing that alone. I doubt if I could even manage to arrange a game every single week so it would probably be more like 10-15 rounds.

It's not about the money... it's about wasting it.

To an extent I think that places like teetimes.co.uk and 2-for-1 vouchers are really going to change the way that golf clubs SHOULD think about their members, their fees and the conditions of the courses that they expect the members to put up with.

Played at Tilgate in Crawley with Foxholer 2 months ago... it cost £1 :p and I really enjoyed being there even though the course is one that I hate and it was in awful condition. The company is becoming far more important than actually playing.

I kick myself for not writing down every round I played in 2013 at my club (and 2012 for that matter), I'd like to know just how much 'value for money' I actually got, especially seeing as a lot of them were comps which I had to pay a further £5 to play in anyway.

The other option is join Holtye, a great 9 hole course just outside east grin stead for £400 a year. ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Despite the club being closed/partially open at the moment and costing a lot more than JO pays I think I get my money's worth. From the time the clocks change until they change back I am usually there seven days a week playing or practicing. There's a huge comp diary, matches and plenty of roll up swindles to play in the other weeks. It isn't the best club in the area but it is friendly and the core members make it fun on and off the course

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The other option is join Holtye, a great 9 hole course just outside east grin stead for £400 a year. ;)

I got relief from an Adder there in a match! The oppo had the balls to ask if the rules allowed it........Dunno but my rules do!

Back to thread, I am in the same boat but paying £1700 next year I guess. I am looking at Heaver. £400 for 10 games and keep your handicap. Decent track too.

If anyone is interested in joining me or can recommend anything similar in Surrey/Sussex/Kent please pm.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said only you can decide if its a justifiable cost. I completely understand where you are coming from though, my subs have risen from £730 to £899 over the last 3 years. I will play less this year as I'm back in full time employment. I wouldn't worry about the drink issue, out of my four ball 2 will have a pint, 1 has a pot of coffee and I'll have a soft drink. We all have a bite to eat. I know quite a few who don't partake in the alcohol side of things.

Any way I hope you make the decision you see best and if you're in this part of the world you will be welcome at mine. Maybe not the range though 😜

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oddly it's because most people can't play without some intake of alcohol afterwards and as a non drinker I feel like a prat propping up the bar with a tea pot. I could try and befriend some other tea drinkers but they're either nearly dead

That's me to a tee then James (see what I did there?).

Unless it's a late pm game, it's a pot of tea for 4. Unless it's a Forum meet of course when everyone lines up behind me at the bar ..................

Idlenorth1

Head Pro
Visit site
Just gave my notice that I will not be renewing with my current course, at 12 miles away it is just takes too long to get there, especially if I want an mid week evening game and have to try and negotiate birmingham rush hour just adds too much time
Plus it's becoming harder and harder to get a weekend tee time as guests are booked in from 11am due to lots of new posh sheds too stay in the deals they do for play and stay. If I can't get a game at weekend early then no point paying subs
Played around 35/40 max times last year at £850 so not too bad but add in fuel costs and traffic it's just not worth it, no idea where I'm going from 1st April as no courses offering flexible memberships around here

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thread has been a big circular argument I fear, as I think we all agree, it isn't the absolute amount that counts. It's relative. If what you pay in, is not matched by the value - to you - of what you get out, then it's not good value and you have a decision to make. To me, the course, its convenience, no tee times, members only at weekends, and the social side add up to more than what I pay. JO has his own maths to do.

"Associate Membership" or whatever is fine - but it's a careful calculation for clubs. It's the course and providing the golf that uses most of the clubs money, so they need to be sure that full fee payers aren't subbing the "casuals" as it's the "fulls" who are mostly providing the course.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
James - before you jack in the membership pop down to play Pyecombe for free (we are on a reciprocal with your course). We are still on full greens and only 2 non-grass tees - even after this rain.

I know its probably a bit far for you to travel and the course is not as strong as Ifield in some respects, but I have been happy joining Pyecombe due to the fact it is playable all year round. They do 'Associate' memberships where you pay a couple of hundred quid then pay and play (at a reduced rate) - but it means you can play in medals and stablefords.

PM me and we can arrange a date to play if you fancy it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Oddly it's because most people can't play without some intake of alcohol afterwards and as a non drinker I feel like a prat propping up the bar with a tea pot. I could try and befriend some other tea drinkers but they're either nearly dead or they aren't in the bar in the first place! (just like me)

I think I'm just the wrong age.... when I'm 55+ and have nothing better to do every single morning other than going to the course for 9 holes and having a tea and scone afterwards I think membership might suit me down to the ground.

I don't understand your comments about drinking after a round. Most people drive to the course, so they are restricted in their alcohol intake. It is not like you are hanging around for hours afterwards. I would say half the members I play with, or against in club matches, don't have an alcoholic drink. Never even thought about what someone is drinking to be honest. Sometimes I have a beer, and sometimes a soft drink. It's the chat that keeps me in the bar, not the beer.

I don't think you are cut out to be a club member James. You don't seem to want to make the effort to meet other members. Play in the roll ups, get partners for the club comps, enter all the individual comps. I made a real effort when I joined my club in the first year, soon got to know a good group, and now never struggle for a game with golfers I like.

I am sure you could find some decent people to play with on a regular basis. You are not a bad lad at times.;)