Advice needed

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Those Top-Flites are decent enough clubs and I see no immediate reason to change unless the grips are so bad that the clubs are slipping in your hands.

You could try re-gripping yourself, a set of budget grips can be had for less than £25 and there are lots of how-to videos on YouTube.

Alternatively go on ebay golf clubs section and just type "set", then sort on nearest to your location, you'll find lots of sets at bargain prices that you can probably collect to save money.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Quality irons back in the day and if they're in decent shape, apart from the grips, I'd hang onto them and use the money elsewhere.
Regripping is easy and doesn't have to cost a lot. Some standard Tour velvets will do.
I'd, maybe, leave the 3 iron for a while - not easy to use well.
A bit of glue will fasten down the ferrules

Last edited:

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Those Top-Flites are decent enough clubs and I see no immediate reason to change unless the grips are so bad that the clubs are slipping in your hands.

You could try re-gripping yourself, a set of budget grips can be had for less than £25 and there are lots of how-to videos on YouTube.

Alternatively go on ebay golf clubs section and just type "set", then sort on nearest to your location, you'll find lots of sets at bargain prices that you can probably collect to save money.

A couple of them (especially the wedges) now have super smooth grips, they really are bad. Things like the three iron are fine, clubs like my 6 and 8 iron are just about bareable but probably do need changing. They have been a decent set of clubs to me, I just wondered if its worth getting them re-gripped. I would have a go myself but I am not sure I'd be too confident with it

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Quality irons back in the day and if they're in decent shape, apart from the grips, I'd hang onto them and use the money elsewhere.
Regripping is easy and doesn't have to cost a lot. Some standard Tour velvets will do.

Thanks for the advice. I am watching some Ping G15, Ping G10, Cobra Amp Cell, Nike VRS Covert 2.0 and Cleveland CG16 on eBay but you reckon I may be just better off sticking with my current irons and investing in a new putter etc?

I should mention, woods wise, I only have a driver (which is old but in great condition) and a really old 7 wood which is of no use to be honest, as the condition is not good. Perhaps I should look at a 3-wood and fairway wood or something rather than new (2nd hand)irons

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A couple of them (especially the wedges) now have super smooth grips, they really are bad. Things like the three iron are fine, clubs like my 6 and 8 iron are just about bareable but probably do need changing. They have been a decent set of clubs to me, I just wondered if its worth getting them re-gripped. I would have a go myself but I am not sure I'd be too confident with it

I've never re-gripped clubs before either, but have a few sets that need doing.
It looks simple enough on ebay so I'll be giving it a go soon and will post how it went.

Imurg

Visit site
Plenty of YouTube video on how to do it - I do all mine and if I can do it (DIY stands for Destroy it Yourself in my house) then anyone can.
The irons will last you at least another year with new grips.
A 3 wood ( or 4 wood) and a putter look like the targets.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
as someone as already said, I'd find a local pro and have him take a look at your swing and capabilities and how well your current set up could work. If the pro is good, they'll not have you spend money unnecessarily. A few lessons would be a good place to build from

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd get the clubs asap. I'd look at places like golfbidder. It may not be the cheapest second hand route but some absolute bargains to be had. recently got a set of Ping I series irons with barely a mark on them. Shiels and Finch have recently done a youtube video from there for their second hand challenge match. Get in a club, get some. Once you have some decent clubs, get some lessons and use whatever you have left to be a nomad golfer this summer and play when you can. Think about joining a club over the winter or next year and you're good to gp

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These are what I currently play with:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Flite-...-Steel-Shaft-TopFlite-Top-Flite-/390843534881

I believe they were around £400 back in the late 90's. They were my step-dads and he gave them to me so they are an adult set.

The grips are shocking, they badly need replacing and I have 3-SW in my set so that is 9 clubs to re-grip.

The heads have some scuffs but they are not in as bad a condition as you would expect for being so old.

That little black plastic piece that sits above the head of the club on the shaft is a bit loose on one or two of the clubs and can be moved by hand.

Those clubs should be fine for getting back in to the game

The little black bit is called a ferrule it is not unusual for these to come loose. As said a little bit of superglue will hold them in place.

To keep costs down grips can be done for less than £10 for 9 grips plus the cost of some white spirit.

I often buy grips from Jl Golf on ebay and this is an example of some of their cheap grips

eBay item number:292466388652

PS the three little lines on the side of the hosel are to show what lie they are (in the middle is standard lie).

Imurg

Visit site
From youtube most people have a vice to hold the club in place. Guess it is pretty tricky without? Let me know how you get on with re-gripping

A vice is useful but not necessary.
I have a towel on the floor, put the club head in the towel and push the grip on.
Easy peasy

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely easier with a vice , especially if you need to get the grip straight after its on.
If you have any doubts use 360 grips for your first set.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
re joining a club - my advice would be find somewhere which has a programme for beginners.

Our place has a great scheme. 6 weekly free group lessons for beginners, then an academy which cost £350 for the first year, this had 12 1-2-1 lessons with the pro, about the same number of group lessons, and unlimited access to the course 5 and a half days a week. if you decided to take out full membership at the end of the year, you got £200 off your first year's fees.

It worked out really well for me, the lessons were invaluable, as was the unlimited playing time, and I met a good bunch of lads who were in the same boat as me, and who I play with regularly now.

have a look on here for somewhere local to you

https://www.getintogolf.org/

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I'd have a look at doing both club upgrade and joining a cub. If you go for one of the many sets available on eBay, then I wouldn't discount the club membership options available to you.

Between Preston and Bolton, so we'll take Chorley as the example. In spitting distance there you've got:
Duxbury, Chorley GC, Shaw Hill, Charnock Richard (re-opening as a 9 hole course end of April), Wigan (Arley), Haigh Hall, Oak Royal, Pleasington or out towards Bolton there's Bolton GC, Bolton Old Links & Regents Park, All of which will (probably) have direct debit payment offers on / 5 or 6 days membership options etc...

If you were going to spend more and go "nomad" for a year or so, then I'd def look at getting lessons first. Could turn out more costly to buy an expensive set, then have lessons and find out that they aren't the set that suits you.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
re joining a club - my advice would be find somewhere which has a programme for beginners.

Our place has a great scheme. 6 weekly free group lessons for beginners, then an academy which cost £350 for the first year, this had 12 1-2-1 lessons with the pro, about the same number of group lessons, and unlimited access to the course 5 and a half days a week. if you decided to take out full membership at the end of the year, you got £200 off your first year's fees.

It worked out really well for me, the lessons were invaluable, as was the unlimited playing time, and I met a good bunch of lads who were in the same boat as me, and who I play with regularly now.

have a look on here for somewhere local to you

https://www.getintogolf.org/

That sounds an unbelievable deal