Strategic-school vs Penal design - Which do you prefer?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I prefer a mix that tests every aspect of the game. I like lash it holes, and I like holes that make me think off the tee. I like a few greens with tight pins and dodgy slopes, and bunkering around a green that might force you away from the pin.

I also like a mix of fairway bunkering that challenges players off the tee, irrespective of length.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I dont think youve described the difference very well.

Id describe them like this
Strategic - Many different ways to play, many different shots could achieve the desired outcome, by employing stretegy you can lessen some hazards but maybe increase others

For instance a hole with a bunkered area for long drives, but a green that slopes away. It would be a strategic decision to either risk the long drive with the reward that your second shot would be much more likely to be successful. Or choose a strategy to lay up from the drive yo avoid trouble and depend on hitting an excellent approach.

Penal - very obvious best strategy failure to execute means a significant penalty. 17th at sawgrass, fly ball onto green and stop ball on green or else.

Id have to say i dont think the 2 are mutually exclusive. Id say the opposite of a strategic hole would be a prescriptive hole.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We had a par 5 where you had to hit an iron off the tee - maybe a 5iron, no way was a wood an option. The amount of people that visited the course and said how ridiculous it was not being able to hit driver on a par 5. But, you had to get that iron in a critical position to make the 2nd shot easier and take a load of water out of play, and also leave yourself a short iron to the green. It was a great hole. They eventually built a tee further back so it's probably a 3 wood off the tee now, still a good hole though.

This is it before the new tee went in, as you can see, double dog-leg. Water and OB right on the 1st shot, water on the left on the 2nd and 3rd. The wind would also swirl in the trees, just to add to the confusion. ;-)

Is that Willow Valley. I’ve not played it for a long time but did a few times when it fits opened. I thought a few holes would be really unfair to higher handicap players.
Some holes only had one way to play them unless you were a very big hitter.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is that Willow Valley. I’ve not played it for a long time but did a few times when it fits opened. I thought a few holes would be really unfair to higher handicap players.
Some holes only had one way to play them unless you were a very big hitter.

It is.

Not sure it's unfair to the high handicapper - certainly saw the comp wins spread across the full spectrum of handicaps when I was there. It is however, very punisihing if you are having a bad day, and of course high handicappers are more likely to suffer then.

sunshine

Visit site
We had a par 5 where you had to hit an iron off the tee - maybe a 5iron, no way was a wood an option. The amount of people that visited the course and said how ridiculous it was not being able to hit driver on a par 5. But, you had to get that iron in a critical position to make the 2nd shot easier and take a load of water out of play, and also leave yourself a short iron to the green. It was a great hole. They eventually built a tee further back so it's probably a 3 wood off the tee now, still a good hole though.

This is it before the new tee went in, as you can see, double dog-leg. Water and OB right on the 1st shot, water on the left on the 2nd and 3rd. The wind would also swirl in the trees, just to add to the confusion. ;-)

This is the perfect example of penal design. A wood is not an option, there are no choices, you have to select the right club and execute.

Me, I prefer strategic holes. On a par 4 or 5, driver should always be an option off the tee (not always the right option).

A good course has a combination of penal / strategic / difficult / easier holes.