Stopping the ball on firm greens

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Just after tips, I always try to run the ball in but sometime leave myself with a pond or bunker to go over.

Last year had no problem but the greens are rock hard and so difficult to stop on. Any tips......... To give you an idea of firmness, a high shot with a 9i drop and rolls often right of the back of thegreen

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
SRixon Z star, Prov V, NXT Tour S, Bridgestone B330, Nike TOur,

Even tried AD333, Srixon Soft Feel, Pinnacle, Nike Pd SFT,

So in general any ball, went to other course played my usual Z Star stopped lovely, just looking for how to stop on solid greens

They are that hard, that you cant get any check on a ball from a green side chip with 60 degree wedge

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ours are that firm currently its almost impossible to stop a ball on them, have to run it in. couple of the times at the weekend i hit full wedges into greens and the ball still ended up back edge :( definite need for the fcast rain over the next few days (albeit not whilst im out playing in a pro-am at Brocket Hall ideally)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are leaving yourself with a pond or bunker to go over then surely it comes down to course management. We aren't in the height of a dry summer so surprised balls aren't stopping. Ours are firm but well struck mid and short irons stopping pretty well

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just after tips, I always try to run the ball in but sometime leave myself with a pond or bunker to go over.

Last year had no problem but the greens are rock hard and so difficult to stop on. Any tips......... To give you an idea of firmness, a high shot with a 9i drop and rolls often right of the back of thegreen

Hit the ball harder to give it more spin.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chip and runs and take your punishment. Miracle shots do not work...

Our greens are usually very good for holding a shot with a long iron, but you've got to be very careful atm with hitting anything but a wedge. There is a lot more skill needed to play into hard greens than soft receptive ones.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right now the greens are just so hard, Ive hit solid SWs with PROV1s and sometimes they not holding the green
Only good thing about that is knowing ill get extra 30 yards run on the fairway

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
lads, some of you are not catching on that the greens are different from one an other just 100 miles up the road.

ive stated that the greens in the Merseyside area have been bone, and I mean bone dry for weeks on end. it is height of the summer stuff!

ive only seen it this dry for single weeks at a time back home Ireland and that's once a year at most.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The greens at my place are/were bone hard. They are watered, and very green, just bone hard.

I would ask this. When you're looking at holding a green, do you actually look at the green your wanting to hold or just look where the flag is in relation to where you are?

What I mean is it's pointless trying to hold a green that is bone hard that slopes away from you or has cambers and slopes that work against what you're trying to do.

A couple of examples as my track would be our 2nd and 14th. The 2nd runs drastically down hill from front to back, then the greens are as hard as they've been, I play up short and allow the ball to run on using the slope.

Out 14th is the opposite. It has a flat section at the front then runs sharpley up hill to a top tier. With this green I'm usually a little more agressive using the bank to either

a) Pitch the ball into, or just short of it, then let it run back down to the lower teir.

or

b) If the ball is on the top teir, take more club and make less of a swing to keep the spin down, again pitch it into the slop and let it bounce up and run on to the upper tier.

I suppose, what I'm trying to say, is, if it's your regular track, have a think about the green you want to hold and account for any slopes when playing your shot.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As someone else said, hit it harder to get more spin. I suppose hitting it higher will help as well.

Or - and this might sound crazy.........

Adapt to the conditions..... :confused:

Not a dig at the OP, but around the course/clubhouse the last couple of weeks I've heard so many people complaining about not being able to stop a ball on the green, yet they still keep firing at pins!!! Change your game FFS!!!

I feel better now. :)

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it in this country whenever there is any kind of abnormal weather conditions the course or greens go to pot. Last year Greens were flooded, this year no rain for a couple of weeks and the greens are like concrete. I have been golfing in Australia where there was no rain and the greens were always nice and receptive to hit onto. The fairways were quite brown and very firm but the greens were lush. Why can we not do this here

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why is it in this country whenever there is any kind of abnormal weather conditions the course or greens go to pot. Last year Greens were flooded, this year no rain for a couple of weeks and the greens are like concrete. I have been golfing in Australia where there was no rain and the greens were always nice and receptive to hit onto. The fairways were quite brown and very firm but the greens were lush. Why can we not do this here

Ask your ground staff :thup: