Stirling Golf Club?

Dkl84

Visit site
I have recently moved to central Scotland and looking for a new course to take up membership. I'm 10 minutes from Stirling golf club, could anyone offer a genuine review? It looks as if it may hold water for a long period after rain, but just a quick observation.

Any other course suggestions would be most welcomed.👍🏼🏌🏼

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played it a few times, once in heavy rain and it was fine that day with the rain. Good layout, excellent condition in the summer and the greens are particularly good.

I don't know how it holds up in the winter but can't see it being any worse than most of the courses in the area.

DCB

Visit site
I've played it a few times, once in heavy rain and it was fine that day with the rain. Good layout, excellent condition in the summer and the greens are particularly good.

I don't know how it holds up in the winter but can't see it being any worse than most of the courses in the area.

I'd go along with this. used to be a favourite on our office outing schedule. Always enjoyed playing there.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played it a few times this year and found it very enjoyable. Good course, some interesting holes, great greens. There was a bit of rain but not enough to comment on drainage but certainly didn't see any indication of problems.

Seems friendly too - I couldn't make the official practice day for the comp I was playing so rocked up on my own and was promptly invited to join three guys that were just about to tee off.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have not played it myself, but a friend of mine is a member and one of my other friends has played it a lot and rates it highly. However Dougie is leaving this year to take up a links membership elsewhere as its wet in winter, but where isn't in winter in Scotland apart from links

Dkl84

Visit site
Thanks to all for the advice. I had a game at Glenbervie a few weeks ago, it's a nice course but can't justify the fee they are asking.

Confident it will be Stirling next year 🏌🏼

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played it a few years ago and thought it was a good course, remember there was a big double green and some goods views especially the tee shot on 18.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks to all for the advice. I had a game at Glenbervie a few weeks ago, it's a nice course but can't justify the fee they are asking.

Confident it will be Stirling next year 

Worth also considering Auchterarder who I believe have good membership offers currently.

Assuming the travel is ok for you.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stirling is a good course, always in great condition during the summer. Not sure how it holds up in winter but I'd hazard a guess it won't be any better or worse than any of the other ones in the area. Glenbervie gets very wet during winter too.
Big double green is the 5th/17th, some good holes but some poor ones aswell. One of only 2 courses in the area with joining fees. Glenbervie being the other, they will let you pay the joining fee over 4 years., if you're a practicer then glenbervie might be worth the extra coin as their practice faculties are by far the best in the area.
You've got the tryst and Falkirk Carmuirs just another couple miles along the road from glenbervie. Both with substantionally less membership fees.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Stirling is a good course, always in great condition during the summer. Not sure how it holds up in winter but I'd hazard a guess it won't be any better or worse than any of the other ones in the area. Glenbervie gets very wet during winter too.
Big double green is the 5th/17th, some good holes but some poor ones aswell. One of only 2 courses in the area with joining fees. Glenbervie being the other, they will let you pay the joining fee over 4 years., if you're a practicer then glenbervie might be worth the extra coin as their practice faculties are by far the best in the area.
You've got the tryst and Falkirk Carmuirs just another couple miles along the road from glenbervie. Both with substantionally less membership fees.

Wouldn't disagree with that assessment at all. We actually discussed Stirling on the way home and wondered if the course could be made more enjoyable playing the holes in a different order, didn't quite flow in places but it was still enjoyable.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you fancy a game round carmuirs to see what you think, I can take you for a game, although it's winter time and there is winter work being done so you would have to play it with an open mind just now.
If you want a playing partner to try out any other courses in the area,including stirling gimme a shout and I'll join you if you want. I could probably get us on most courses around here for visitors rates.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
If you fancy a game round carmuirs to see what you think, I can take you for a game, although it's winter time and there is winter work being done so you would have to play it with an open mind just now.
If you want a playing partner to try out any other courses in the area,including stirling gimme a shout and I'll join you if you want. I could probably get us on most courses around here for visitors rates.

Haven't played Carmuirs for a couple of years, but really enjoyed it when i did last time... noticed they had been doing a lot of work with the drainage at the time, ditches everywhere that weren't there the previous time I'd played. Can only imagine it getting better still.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't played Carmuirs for a couple of years, but really enjoyed it when i did last time... noticed they had been doing a lot of work with the drainage at the time, ditches everywhere that weren't there the previous time I'd played. Can only imagine it getting better still.

Welcome for a bash round whenever you fancy it mate