Staying hydrated on the course

Siolag

Visit site
Given some of the comments you’d think it’s imossible for a human to run a marathon without drinking a gallon of sugary and salty water. How do they do that without eating or drinking for hours at a time? Its just golf we’re talking about here right? 4 hours casual walking with, probably, an electic buggy doing all the lifting work?

A coffee before a round and I carry a 330ml water bottle but tend to only drink half of it. Most bigger people than me likely need a bit more than that. Only time I eat during a round is if I’m walking past a steak pie and I consider that a greedy treat. On hot days i drink more water but don’t see many of those days.

There’s no single correct amount. The best advice is to drink if you’re thirsty, eat if you’re hungry. There’s absolutely no harm in an occaisional period of fasting. Its worked for hundreds of thousands of years and we’re still here. ?

Elite nutrition used by endurance athletes does not apply to the vast majority of people and especially not to golfers. Nobody can burn 6000 calories and lose 2kg water playing one round of golf. Be warey of the marketing hype of energy and sports food brands.

People do eat and drink during marathons. Generally gels which are high in sugar and carbohydrate.

I agree though, golf does not use the same energy. I steer clear of Lucozade generally as I find it too sweet, but I could see why people would use it.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People do eat and drink during marathons. Generally gels which are high in sugar and carbohydrate.

I know. Many people don’t and can still perform very well though. I’ll use an energy gel on my bike sometimes when I’m eventing or out on a long day in the hills. But its more due to the light packable weight that I use them. A slice of cake would be just as good but it doesn’t travel as well.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're only drinking when you're feeling thirsty you've left it a bit late.
I only drink water on the course, as I did when mountain-biking. Having wee like orange squash was never fun:)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
[QUOTE="Bunkermagnet, post: 2176399, member: 19396"]If you're only drinking when you're feeling thirsty you've left it a bit late.
I only drink water on the course, as I did when mountain-biking. Having wee like orange squash was never fun:)[/QUOTE]

I have a bit of an issue with this. The human body is wonderfully made & in the days before science a person, or animal for that matter, was prompted to drink by feeling thirsty. There is some evidence to suggest that the performance of athletes when dehydrated is unaffected. I just wonder whether the 2 / 2½ litre thing is just a figure pulled out of the air by people who haven't done the research. A bit like the safe level of Cholesterol, which was set at a level that would give the scientists enough people to study.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Usually have a 2 litre bottle of water, banana and a protein shake. Though I have been guilty of a bottle of diet coke and a sausage roll from the 1/2 hut! And when not driving I have been known to have a beer in the bag!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="Bunkermagnet, post: 2176399, member: 19396"]If you're only drinking when you're feeling thirsty you've left it a bit late.
I only drink water on the course, as I did when mountain-biking. Having wee like orange squash was never fun:)
There is some evidence to suggest that the performance of athletes when dehydrated is unaffected. [/QUOTE]
From my own mountain bike riding andd racing, I would strongly disagree there. When you sweat out fluid from your body it needs replacing. So just as trying to ride when having no water to consume left me feeling a lot more drained and tired, so playing golf in the sun and heat leaves me more tired, prone to aching and my concentration levels drop.
Little and often is my way, and more often the hotter it gets.:)

DuckHookDave

Visit site
There is some evidence to suggest that the performance of athletes when dehydrated is unaffected.
From my own mountain bike riding andd racing, I would strongly disagree there. When you sweat out fluid from your body it needs replacing. So just as trying to ride when having no water to consume left me feeling a lot more drained and tired, so playing golf in the sun and heat leaves me more tired, prone to aching and my concentration levels drop.
Little and often is my way, and more often the hotter it gets.:)[/QUOTE]

Bit scientific but will keep it brief..... its not just the water lost through sweating etc, but the salt/sodium. This affects the concentration in the body which can also affect things like the sodium potassium pumps. Thus why people eat bananas to replenish potassium.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'm pretty bad, sometimes i end up chucking the stuff away as its sat in the bag for weeks without being touched. i always intend to be better, but TBH forget most of the time.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I carry a 750ml CamelBack Cold bottle with a Nectar Hydro tab dissolved in water (I prefer the taste to SIS or Hi5). If it's hot I'll take extra tabs & bottles of water and refill on the course. If I take food it's bananas and nut bars or similar.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tennents_6x44_Lager_64978_1.jpg

You cannot be using that to stay hydrated on the course - it's Scottish.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Creature of habit me
750 ml non caloried flavoured water, sips all the way round
Carton of orange juice on the 10th tee (calorie boost)
Meal replacement/energy drink like Slimfast on the 14th tee

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless it's hot I can quite easily get round a golf course without feeling the need for a drink, in the summer I might take some water if I remember.
I suspect there's more cod science written about hydration than corona.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given some of the comments you’d think it’s imossible for a human to run a marathon without drinking a gallon of sugary and salty water. How do they do that without eating or drinking for hours at a time? Its just golf we’re talking about here right? 4 hours casual walking with, probably, an electic buggy doing all the lifting work?

A coffee before a round and I carry a 330ml water bottle but tend to only drink half of it. Most bigger people than me likely need a bit more than that. Only time I eat during a round is if I’m walking past a steak pie and I consider that a greedy treat. On hot days i drink more water but don’t see many of those days.

There’s no single correct amount. The best advice is to drink if you’re thirsty, eat if you’re hungry. There’s absolutely no harm in an occaisional period of fasting. Its worked for hundreds of thousands of years and we’re still here. ?

Elite nutrition used by endurance athletes does not apply to the vast majority of people and especially not to golfers. Nobody can burn 6000 calories and lose 2kg water playing one round of golf. Be warey of the marketing hype of energy and sports food brands.

I am one of those people who starts to get the shakes and dizzy spells if I do not eat and drink on a regular basis. I also get gout if I get dehydrated. One the things the nurses tell me (and some of my mates with the same condition have been told) is to drink on a regular basis to help avoid it.