Standing behind putts in Texas Scrambles

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We place within a club length on the fairway, drop within a club length when in the rough, some times a club length can take you back onto the fairway.:love:

We have a rule that says ball if the original is in the rough balls must be dropped in the rough of the same type i.e no dropping on the first cut or fairway if in the long grass.

D

Deleted member 1147

Rule 10.2b(4) says a caddie must not stand behind a player once he's taken his stance
Rule 23.5 says that the rest of the players on a side must obey the same rules as a caddie
So it's legal to stand behind an opponents putt (bad etiquette, but legal) but it's illegal to stand behind a player if he's on the same side as you.

I realise that Texas Scrambles are outside the normal rules but, in that format, everybody stands behind and watches putts - technically against the rules but everyone does it (I think!).
Has anyone ever played a scramble where the organisers have specifically permitted standing behind putts? Or do we all just carry on doing it on the assumption that it's permitted?

Personally, I've never seen it mentioned and I really hope there is no team out there that has penalised themselves for sticking religiously to the rules.
I’ve played in TS’s where it’s been specifically banned. But never specifically allowed.

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
Rule 10.2b(4) says a caddie must not stand behind a player once he's taken his stance
Rule 23.5 says that the rest of the players on a side must obey the same rules as a caddie
So it's legal to stand behind an opponents putt (bad etiquette, but legal) but it's illegal to stand behind a player if he's on the same side as you.

I realise that Texas Scrambles are outside the normal rules but, in that format, everybody stands behind and watches putts - technically against the rules but everyone does it (I think!).
Has anyone ever played a scramble where the organisers have specifically permitted standing behind putts? Or do we all just carry on doing it on the assumption that it's permitted?

Personally, I've never seen it mentioned and I really hope there is no team out there that has penalised themselves for sticking religiously to the rules.

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
As far as I can remember. We let the D and C players show us the Line. Everybody does it in Texas. I know it is against the Rules. But know one says anything. Not even the Golf Marshals. Basically we stand behind them and yell. " Show us the Line Bro."

NearHull

Visit site
As far as I can remember. We let the D and C players show us the Line. Everybody does it in Texas. I know it is against the Rules. But know one says anything. Not even the Golf Marshals. Basically we stand behind them and yell. " Show us the Line Bro."
You would get away with standing on the line over here, but be DQ’d for shouting ‘Bro’ on the course .?

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
That is the Norm. We live right on the Coast. Gulf Of Mexico. Surfing and Skateboarding Rules down Here. The Golf courses are Lush. Super Hot in the Summer 101 - 102. They call it the Sub Tropics. A Palm Tree in Every yard

NearHull

Visit site
That is the Norm. We live right on the Coast. Gulf Of Mexico. Surfing and Skateboarding Rules down Here. The Golf courses are Lush. Super Hot in the Summer 101 - 102. They call it the Sub Tropics. A Palm Tree in Every yard
Played some courses at St Pete’s and Naples a few years ago. Now we don’t fly more than 4 hrs.