Electrically heated clothing in comp

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rules folk assistance pls : On another thread about winter clothing https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/winter-clothing.113416/#post-2561322

I wondered if an electrically heated rechargeable gilet was permissible in a comp or if it breaches (equipment) clothing rule 4.3 as below?
(is 'energy' in the definitions of RoG)

Equipment Rules

4. Clothing (Rule 4.3)

Articles of clothing must not incorporate features:

designed to assist the player with his alignment; or
that might otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

Use of Compression Clothing: Compression clothing has been available for many years and its use is widespread in both the winter and summer for temperature regulation and sun protection. Compression garments are not considered unusual equipment and consequently are permitted under Rule 4.3.

Use of Posture Garments (e.g., shirts): Posture garments, as currently available (2012), are considered to be a type of compression garment and should be permitted under Rule 4.3. These include: Posture shirts, Posture/sports bras, Girdles, and Shaping undergarments.
Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy, or Inhibiting or enhancing movement, are considered unusual equipment in breach of Rule 4.3.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What causes me to wonder is that there can be little doubt or dispute that 'electronic energy' is both stored and released in this garment :unsure:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
But is it stored by the clothing? To my mind it is stored and released by the battery, not the clothing. I think this rule is designed with something else in mind, clothing that somehow stores the energy from your swing movement and then releases it through the swing, providing more power than the player alone can generate.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But is it stored by the clothing? To my mind it is stored and released by the battery, not the clothing. I think this rule is designed with something else in mind, clothing that somehow stores the energy from your swing movement and then releases it through the swing, providing more power than the player alone can generate.

Yeah been wondering that too but the rule above isn't that specific it just says 'Clothing incorporating features designed to....store and release energy'
Hopefully the experts will come along shortly (and likely tell me I'm being ridiculous) ;)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yeah been wondering that too but the rule above isn't that specific it just says 'Clothing incorporating features designed to....store and release energy'
Hopefully the experts will come along shortly (and likely tell me I'm being ridiculous) ;)

You are ?. I think the store and release is the clincher for me; you have to create the energy it stores and then releases. I see it as a complete process whereas the charging of the battery takes place prior to, rather than during play.

But as you say, someone who actually knows what they are talking about should be along soon ??

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can do that for you :):) (don't know whether I'm right tho').

Interesting, but will wait to see what the experts say.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You are ?. I think the store and release is the clincher for me; you have to create the energy it stores and then releases. I see it as a complete process whereas the charging of the battery takes place prior to, rather than during play.

But as you say, someone who actually knows what they are talking about should be along soon ??

Isn't the fitted battery a 'feature' of this clothing though ;) Weirdly AG and other golf websites don't sell these products

Surely the energy refered to is your body's energy?

I did wonder that & that's why I'm asking if 'energy' is in the Definitions for Equipment Rules/RoG otherwise who knows if it refers to 'muscle energy' or 'electrical energy'... or both:giggle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Isn't the fitted battery a 'feature' of this clothing though ;) Weirdly AG and other golf websites don't sell these products

I did wonder that & that's why I'm asking if 'energy' is in the Definitions for Equipment Rules/RoG otherwise who knows if it refers to 'muscle energy' or 'electrical energy'... or both:giggle:
…or maybe it has pockets so that you can store a few cans of ‘Red Bull’ …gives you wings…?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My interpretation of

Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy,

Is clothing giving a spring (not the season) like effect or similar and nothing to do with batteries to provide heat.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does that actually exist?? Because that sounds amazing. :eek:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My interpretation of

Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy,

Is clothing giving a spring (not the season) like effect or similar and nothing to do with batteries to provide heat.

Many thanks, can I ask how have you been able to dismiss electrical energy from your thinking to get that interpretation?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Excuse me madam would you mind lifting your shirt to see if you have a conforming bra on.

Years ago I played in a mixed comp. One of the ladies in our group was having an issue with pulling the ball left.

The other "gent" in the group suggested that perhaps the cause might be that one of her bra straps was too tight.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Years ago I played in a mixed comp. One of the ladies in our group was having an issue with pulling the ball left.

The other "gent" in the group suggested that perhaps the cause might be that one of her bra straps was too tight.
Hope he ducked quickly! ;)

salfordlad

Visit site

Left strap for a right-handed player and vice versa?