Electrically heated clothing in comp

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Two suggestion I’ll add to the debate.

1) a good compression layer would help fire the body around with its elasticity. thereby storing and releasing human energy.

2) would all the discussions go away if I took the layer off every shot? Thereby confirming the rules is more to be taking as storage of human energy.

Swango1980

Visit site
By the lack of definitive answer by the several so-called ruled experts in this forum (unless I missed it), I'm assuming the answer to this question is not clear cut. Therefore, no one willing to confirm the answer one way or the other?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
By the lack of definitive answer by the several so-called ruled experts in this forum (unless I missed it), I'm assuming the answer to this question is not clear cut. Therefore, no one willing to confirm the answer one way or the other?
I am by no means a rules expert but I am going 100% that a heated top is not against the rules. The energy stored in the top is not helping power release or the swing. If anyone tries to tell you they are against the rules I would suggest everyone should be playing naked as all clothing is designed to keep the body warm.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah @jim8flog is pretty good on these things and offered up his interpretation (& I'd agree it's probably intended for muscular energy) but it's not clear to me how to eliminate one type of energy from another, given the rule as it's written
Wearing it between shots seems cool but to actually play a shot 'appears' to be in violation (again, as its written)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the RoG do not seem to address this exactly I agree with your assumption.

But I'm personally inclined to think it's OK.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some running shoes have been banned in competition for this very reason.
But the golf rule is very grey imo.
But we use energy to power trollies ,rangefinders etc .
So can’t see anything wrong with a heated gillet.
How many people put their balls in a pocket while having a hand warmer in it ( no pocket billiards jokes)

Swango1980

Visit site
Some running shoes have been banned in competition for this very reason.
But the golf rule is very grey imo.
But we use energy to power trollies ,rangefinders etc .
So can’t see anything wrong with a heated gillet.
How many people put their balls in a pocket while having a hand warmer in it ( no pocket billiards jokes)
What sort of running shoes?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When you get cold keeping warm consumes energy.

It 'could' be argued that being artificially being kept warm by heated clothing helps stave off fatigue .....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any information about where and when?
It was on the news onTV.
The guy who holds the world marathon time beat his own time by quite a bit.
But it didn’t count because of the shoes

Eluid Kipchoge ran a sub two hour marathon in January 2020 in a pair of Nike shoes but it was deemed illegal because the shoes rebounded to much.
They had carbon plates in the sole and sandwiched spring like material.
They were deemed spring like and gave him an advantage.
Maybe they are the answer to slow play ;)

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
It was on the news onTV.
The guy who holds the world marathon time beat his own time by quite a bit.
But it didn’t count because of the shoes

Eluid Kipchoge ran a sub two hour marathon in January 2020 in a pair of Nike shoes but it was deemed illegal because the shoes rebounded to much.
They had carbon plates in the sole and sandwiched spring like material.
They were deemed spring like and gave him an advantage.
Maybe they are the answer to slow play ;)
Haha. Ahh, ok. I thought you meant some running shoes were banned from golf competitions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haha. Ahh, ok. I thought you meant some running shoes were banned from golf competitions.

over the years there have been some designs of golf shoes that have been banned. I have distant memory of one pair that were designed to aid correct weight transference in the swing, aid stability in the back swing or some such.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
over the years there have been some designs of golf shoes that have been banned. I have distant memory of one pair that were designed to aid correct weight transference in the swing, aid stability in the back swing or some such.
I'm pretty sure they were ecco. There was a protrusion on the left (I think) side of the heel (for right handers) and vice versa. I had a pair. I don't know if they helped my swing but they were very comfortable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they were ecco. There was a protrusion on the left (I think) side of the heel (for right handers) and vice versa. I had a pair. I don't know if they helped my swing but they were very comfortable.

I had in mind HiTech or Etonic.

I tried to find on the web but probably too long ago. All I could find was a reference to Hi Tech which the R&A checked when he said his shoes had added yards to his drives.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had in mind HiTech or Etonic.

I tried to find on the web but probably too long ago. All I could find was a reference to Hi Tech which the R&A checked when he said his shoes had added yards to his drives.
Aah. They could have been Etonic. It was a long time ago.