Electrically heated clothing in comp

CountLippe

Visit site
over the years there have been some designs of golf shoes that have been banned. I have distant memory of one pair that were designed to aid correct weight transference in the swing, aid stability in the back swing or some such.

I believe 'weight-rite' shoes, worn by John Huston in the masters in the early 90's were banned by the USGA. I had a pair.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Some running shoes have been banned in competition for this very reason.
But the golf rule is very grey imo.
But we use energy to power trollies ,rangefinders etc .
So can’t see anything wrong with a heated gillet.
How many people put their balls in a pocket while having a hand warmer in it ( no pocket billiards jokes)

And if heated gilets are deemed to be illegal, i.e. if the interpretation of the rule is that "energy: is an all encompassing phrase, then any heated hand warmer is also illegal!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And if heated gilets are deemed to be illegal, i.e. if the interpretation of the rule is that "energy: is an all encompassing phrase, then any heated hand warmer is also illegal!
Yes I see what your saying.
This is where the rules get a bit silly imo.
You can have heated accessories or you can’t they should make it simple.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the lack of any outlawing of hand warmers, despite them storing and releasing energy in a technical sense, indicates heated jackets are perfectly fine. The other phrases refer to the store and release, being related to the swing motion itself. Not the general comfort of the golfer.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think the lack of any outlawing of hand warmers, despite them storing and releasing energy in a technical sense, indicates heated jackets are perfectly fine. The other phrases refer to the store and release, being related to the swing motion itself. Not the general comfort of the golfer.
I'm still confused how some seem to class handwarmers clothing? Is the rule that was highlight not a direct reference to clothing? Nothing else? An electric trolley stores energy, and can help a golfer with their swing by tiring them out less, but don't think it meets the definition of clothing.

Furthermore, I doubt many use handwarmers during their swing, so would that be relevant?

Has anyone actually got a heated top out if interest?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm still confused how some seem to class handwarmers clothing? Is the rule that was highlight not a direct reference to clothing? Nothing else? An electric trolley stores energy, and can help a golfer with their swing by tiring them out less, but don't think it meets the definition of clothing.

Furthermore, I doubt many use handwarmers during their swing, so would that be relevant?

Has anyone actually got a heated top out if interest?
Nobody said hand warmers were clothing!
They only came up about putting your ball in a heated pocket,.
A handwarmer in a pocket would have the same effect.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I cant believe this thread has kept going this long.

Yes, I have a heated gilet. Yes I use it.
I’m the same. It is obvious that the energy storage referred to in the rules is body/muscle energy. It is not electric energy, heat energy or anything else.
This thread takes the mick, even by the standards sometimes seen in the riles forum.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m the same. It is obvious that the energy storage referred to in the rules is body/muscle energy. It is not electric energy, heat energy or anything else.
This thread takes the mick, even by the standards sometimes seen in the riles forum.