Standing behind putts in Texas Scrambles

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Rule 10.2b(4) says a caddie must not stand behind a player once he's taken his stance
Rule 23.5 says that the rest of the players on a side must obey the same rules as a caddie
So it's legal to stand behind an opponents putt (bad etiquette, but legal) but it's illegal to stand behind a player if he's on the same side as you.

I realise that Texas Scrambles are outside the normal rules but, in that format, everybody stands behind and watches putts - technically against the rules but everyone does it (I think!).
Has anyone ever played a scramble where the organisers have specifically permitted standing behind putts? Or do we all just carry on doing it on the assumption that it's permitted?

Personally, I've never seen it mentioned and I really hope there is no team out there that has penalised themselves for sticking religiously to the rules.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, I've never seen it mentioned and I really hope there is no team out there that has penalised themselves for sticking religiously to the rules.
Why should players ignore this rule? Admittedly there are some rules that are impactable to apply to scrambles but this isn't one.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it as simple as saying it can't be against the rules as the whole comp is outside the rules (except what rules the organisers invent)

edit: really didn't read your post properly, ignore me :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule 10.2b(4) says a caddie must not stand behind a player once he's taken his stance
Rule 23.5 says that the rest of the players on a side must obey the same rules as a caddie
So it's legal to stand behind an opponents putt (bad etiquette, but legal) but it's illegal to stand behind a player if he's on the same side as you.

I realise that Texas Scrambles are outside the normal rules but, in that format, everybody stands behind and watches putts - technically against the rules but everyone does it (I think!).
Has anyone ever played a scramble where the organisers have specifically permitted standing behind putts? Or do we all just carry on doing it on the assumption that it's permitted?

Yes. It's a fun format, lets not suck that out of it. Every TS I've played in you work as a team looking at lines on putts, seeing how the other putts go. Not being able to do that has never been raised. I'm sure it could be written down in the local comp rules for the day if necessary but really........

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting, always thought it against the rules and not done it and as you state whenever playing in a TS you see teams all over the course doing it.

Maybe it is best to actually stipulate can or can't in the comp rules.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a game in which every side is allowed three Mulligans for every shot, I don’t lose sleep over the thought of partners standing behind a putt. I suppose I should have it in our ToC as being allowed. It’s part of the fun and I certainly wouldn’t want to prevent it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Why should players ignore this rule? Admittedly there are some rules that are impactable to apply to scrambles but this isn't one.
Why, because other players do it and you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't do the same. Reading the responses #4 and #6 suggests that the OP is not wrong, in that it is quite common players will ignore this rule in Texas Scramble. I've never seen any team punished for it. So, either is actually never ever happens despite comments on this thread, or it is something that is not or cannot be effectively enforced.

D-S

Visit site
If there are mandatory allowances now for a format that was previously not considered to be something that authorities had any interest in, shouldn’t there at least be some sort of guidelines if not rules published? E.G. placing in fairway but dropping in rough, the player whose ball you choose must play the first shot (otherwise it is always placing on the fairway), etc.etc.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
When you are writing those rules, start off with the objective of keeping it simple and making it easy for all groups to play by the same rules. For example, by allowing placing for all players in all situations. The alternative to simple, easy to follow rules is having a referee with each group.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not allowed to at our club they actually quote the rule.
But playing in the Golf Scotland T/S events they do allow watching the line.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We’re expressly told not to stand directly behind the line of a putt. Takes the fun out of a fun format, but there you go ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know I never want players behind me when taking a shot so anybody standing behind me to watch the line would be asked to move anyway.

There is nothing to stop you 'jumping in' as soon as the ball is in motion.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to run a TS at my old course. It was a great way for new members to meet others and to ease beginners into the idea of playing little competitions and learning some rules along the way.
Everyone turned up, put the names in a hat and drew the teams, all very informal (making sure there was at least one experienced golfer in each team)
First prize was 3 balls each so no pot hunters, just the emphasis on fun.
Then we got a new captain, he took it over and changed it to an official stableford comp, all very serious. Needless to say it fizzled out shortly after due to lack of interest.
Pillock

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to run a TS at my old course. It was a great way for new members to meet others and to ease beginners into the idea of playing little competitions and learning some rules along the way.
Everyone turned up, put the names in a hat and drew the teams, all very informal (making sure there was at least one experienced golfer in each team)
First prize was 3 balls each so no pot hunters, just the emphasis on fun.
Then we got a new captain, he took it over and changed it to an official stableford comp, all very serious. Needless to say it fizzled out shortly after due to lack of interest.
Pillock

I have organised a lot of comps at our club. When setting the rules they had to ratified by committee, One of the changes I tried to introduce was placing within a club length on the fairway to avoid having 4 divots in the same area but they would not allow it but were happy with dropping within a club length in the rough:confused::confused:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have organised a lot of comps at our club. When setting the rules they had to ratified by committee, One of the changes I tried to introduce was placing within a club length on the fairway to avoid having 4 divots in the same area but they would not allow it but were happy with dropping within a club length in the rough:confused::confused:
We place within a club length on the fairway, drop within a club length when in the rough, some times a club length can take you back onto the fairway.:love: