Stand bag or pencil bag?

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi All,

I am after a new stand bag because mine has seen better days.

I only use a stand bag when the weather doesn't permit a trolley or I don't play a full round. This is usually 6/7 holes on an evening after work.

Any lightweight stand bags that people recommend or do people use pencil bags.

What are the pros/cons of pencil bags.

Cheers

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Stand bags are my preference, saves lying it down in the winter when its a bit wet etc and trollies are banned.

Also just generally easier to use in my opinion.

As far as recommendations go, I have this - https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...0-Golf-Stand-Bag-Navy-Red-White.html#SID=1232

Well priced, good brand and good looking, so everything you need from a stand bag.

Obviously there are better options out there, if you plan to play all weather then maybe this - https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...f-Golf-Stand-Bag-Black-Charcoal.html#SID=1232

But overall it comes down to what you think looks good really!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The stand bag can stand up ... hence the name. The pencil bag doesn‘t, which means laying it in the floor for shots. More tiring and, if it is wet/muddy, easier to get the bag dirty.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have a stand bag for the same reasons you state.
How much I'm likely to use it was one of the main criteria I used for how much I was going to spend on it.
It would be great to have the latest all singing and dancing Ping, Sun Mountain etc etc etc that cost an arm and a leg, but if I'm only likely to use it half a dozen times a year then is it worth the money.?
I decided to find a reasonable 2nd hand one.
I've used it less than 10 times in the 2 years I've had it and it cost me 25 quid from a guy on the other side of town.
Its non branded but has enough dividers and pockets and a double strap....
At the rate of use I cant see it ever wearing out.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I use a pencil bag year round for all my golf - takes a full set of clubs, waterproof jacket, tees, glove and balls - I don't need anything else - if I played on a parkland/clay based course I probably wouldn't use one because it would get caked in mud in winter, it's never got dirty on my local links. I've also never found any problem with fatigue picking it :unsure: - another factor in my using it is I'm not a fan of double straps for me (can see why someone carrying a lot of stuff in their bag would like them though).

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a stand bag (Ping Hoofer) that i use on my push trolley. I carry sometimes so this gives great flexibility.
Loads of people at my club have massive tour bags. Can't see the point in those myself.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have only a trolley bag and pencil bag, as a fair weather golfer this works best.

I’m either all in or just carrying 5-7 clubs.

I used to have a hybrid bag but that was mainly for 18s in winter when trolleys were banned and for travel with a full set.

Now I make do and travel with a half set only.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an ultra light weight Sun Mountain bag from about 1990 with a removable aluminium stand (stand removed when I use a trolley). It will take 14 clubs but I normally have about 7 at the most in it.

I would always go with a stand bag because it reduces the mount of bending down.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
In general, I'd recommend a stand bag for convenience and keeping everything dry in winter.

I have an Ogio Fuse 4 for my "full" set (only 7 clubs anyway) which is pretty much as light as the Sun Mountain 2.5 I had before but much better made. It can also be set up with a single strap, which I prefer.

When I'm going minimalist (4 clubs or fewer) I have a leather pencil bag I picked up on eBay for nz$75. It only has two small pockets, but can just about manage a (small) water bottle plus a few balls and tees.

bm

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you plan on using a pencil style bag in cr@p conditions, I’d defo suggest a waterproof one. Otherwise you’ll be laying it in all sort of stuff and ending up with wet everything.

Sun mountain used to do a super light h2no waterproof stand bag, taking into account its intended use id be leaning down that sort of route.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some pencil bags have leg stands now, and the solid sides mean no struggle to get clubs out. But they really can’t take a full set, have minimal storage, and there are loads of very light, waterproof decent storage stand/carry bags about that don’t weight much more. So if you’re after a do it all bag, you don’t want pencil. Mine is for a quick 9 practice evening in the summer. For a full 18 I’ve a hybrid carry - cart bag that almost never gets carried!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got an older model of Mizuno Scratch pencil bag that I keep ready with an old set of irons in my locker. I can just pick up my driver and putter and head out. I love the lightness of using it in summer but it’s infuriatingly impractical for anything but carrying the absolute minimum. And the constant tangle of clubs due to a lack of dividers will push even the most sane person to want to throw the whole lot into the nearest burn.

The real advantage is you look cool as flip with a pencil bag so all the inconveniences amount to nothing when you look that good. ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have a large cart bag, stand bag and pencil bag. The cart bag is for inclement weather so that I can stuff everything I need in. The stand bag is for "summer" when in theory I don't need so much in the way of waterproof equipment and I can then either carry it or place it on the trolley.
The pencil bag is for when the cart bag is in the locker and I can stuff it in the locker along with the cart bag and trolley. It is there for those occasions when I just want a few holes so don't want a lot of gear, I just throw a few clubs in and off I go.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have 2 bags one cart and the other is a lightweight waterproof stand bag. Cart for most of the year, then when they ban trollies I get the stand bag. I used to have a pencil bag but got sick of it getting manky every time I set it down. Mind you I like the ones with the small stand that are beginning to come out.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Meet in the middle - callaway hyperlite 2. Fits a full set in (but tight, but doable) and has the full stands on so it doesn't get too muddy

RichA

Visit site
When I started playing golf again last summer I fancied a lightweight pencil bag and bought the Ping Moonlight. No legs, but the strap sticks up to make it easy to pick up. As someone else pointed out, as soon it it got a bit damp it was a pain in the arse cleaning it every time.
I bought a Ping Hoofer stand bag for the winter. It's really light. I like to carry with a single strap and don't have any trouble at all with weight carrying 12 clubs plus all the necessary extras.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Another one for the stand bag. I managed to pick up a BagBoy technowater for £80. I tend to use my stand bag in the winter so choosing a waterproof one was high on my list of USP's. There's plenty out there. It's really just looking around to see what fits your particular needs.