Stableford scoring is a joke!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say strokeplay, do you mean stableford? Unless I'm missing something, isn't the stroke index irrelevant for medal golf, and only relevant for matchplay and stableford?

Alan P Mills

Assistant Pro
Visit site
http://www.englandgolf.org/page.aspx?sitesectionid=337

taken from EnglandGolf but they quote from CONGU

interesting read, end, I note the following in Appendix G:

The above recommendations for the ‘Handicap Stroke Index’ provision are principally directed atmatch play situations and have proved to be suitable for that purpose. The ‘Handicap StrokeIndex’, however, is also used widely for Stableford, Par and Bogey competitions. In these forms ofstroke play competition the need to have a uniform and balanced distribution of strokes is lesscompelling. There is a cogent case for the Index in such competitions to be aligned to the rankingof holes in terms of playing difficulty irrespective of hole number. Such a ranking facility isavailable through many of the licensed handicap software programs currently used by Aff iliatedClubs. Clubs that conduct a significant number of Stableford, Par and Bogey competitions maywish to provide separate stroke indices for match play and the listed forms of stroke play.To avoidconfusion this would be best done on separate scorecards.
If a golf club conducts Stableford, Par or Bogey competitions in which men and ladies compete inthe same competition, albeit from different tees, it is recommended that a common ‘HandicapStroke Index’ be provided. Such an action will facilitate the management of the competition andsubsequent handicap adjustment.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont even worry too much aboout the stroke index, I just play each hole as I see it. If I play it well I get a few points, if its a low index then I score better. I can balls up just as easily on index 18 as index one and also birdie either 1.

The score generally relates to how well (or badly) you play whether it be strokeplay or stableford. I actually find I score better in medal comps, not sure why maybe I know a 10 ruins a round whereas a blob is just forgotten fairly quickly

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most golf clubs order their score cards in ten of thousands at a time with the stroke index on them, also the SI is engraved or painted on most tee markers.
So there's no chance of changing the SI. index on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The stroke index isn't that important in Stableford competitions, you could be 2 over on any hole, so where the SI is doesn't really matter. In matchplay, what would you rather have, a stroke on a hard par 4 where your opponent might score 4 to your 6 or one on an easier hole where you may equal your opponent's score. I think, as the guidelines say, the distribution is more important. Who wants to receive their last shot on 18?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When I look at our hole analysis on HDID after competition rounds our 1st hole, a par4 index 7 is always ranked the hardest hole closely followed by our 5th Si1, 3rd Si3 and then our 15th Si2. As such, with the exception of our 1st, all the lowest Si's are clearly the hardest holes.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
On the Derby our easiest (Acording to SI) hole is a 190 yard par 3 with OOB all down the left followed closely behind by a 180 yard par 3 with a very narrow green lined by a pond all down the left and pot bunkers down the right :eek: the SI 1 is a 400 yard par 4 where anything right of the fairway or green is over a hedge and dead and there is also a nice big tree in the middle of the fairway to work your drive around off the tee and bunkers left and right to catch any drives that stray slightly.

The PGA has Stroke Index's that I would say represent the difficulty of holes better than the Derby.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi everyone,

just played this this am and had a pretty rubbish round of golf, but after adding up my stroke play score thought I would see how many stableford points I would of got!

Was expecting mid 20's if I was lucky , Anyway it works out that I would of scored 35 points which is very good but only because I did very well on the harder holes!

feel it's a bit of mockery to my round as I had some really bad holes scoring 7 but because I don't get extra shots on them did not really have an impact on my stableford score ! I can only assume that either the stroke index for my course is wrong or perhaps I may subconsciously put more effort in on the tougher holes!

Just curious if other forums members feel the same or experienced something similar?

Taaaaaa

@Matt71 - other than your 'curious' score (which actually isn't really that curious once you appreciate better how SIs are allocated) - why do you refer to stableford as being a 'joke' - a pretty dismissive stance to take on something that is tried and tested and has been with us for a long time.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would it not make more sense then to have a Matchplay SI AND a Stokeplay SI?

When you say strokeplay, do you mean stableford? Unless I'm missing something, isn't the stroke index irrelevant for medal golf, and only relevant for matchplay and stableford?

Strokeplay is the generic term for Stableford, Bogey and medal play.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Matt71 - other than your 'curious' score (which actually isn't really that curious once you appreciate better how SIs are allocated) - why do you refer to stableford as being a 'joke' - a pretty dismissive stance to take on something that is tried and tested and has been with us for a long time.

Perhaps Joke may be the wrong word, sorry!

My concern was that I played bobbins and was dejected by my performance only to see that if I played stableford I did very well and may of been one of the better scores in a comp.

While stroke play It woudl of been near the bottom!

:)

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
surely net medal play your score still would have been one of the better scores in the comp if the worst you managed was a 7

gross, yes maybe it would have been near the bottom, but to be honest you must be one of the highest handicappers in the competition, I'm not sure why you'd expect anything otherwise.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I play Stableford comps I don't dwell on the SI of the holes, more often than not I will not par the holes I don't get shots on, but will often par holes I do get shots on.
Over the course of a round it tends to balance out.