St Mellion two night break

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Early July would be ok for me...but asap as Saunton/RND Pairs is 22nd July and already sent off my entry
Would the 13th/14th be okay for everyone?
That's the earliest Ray can make it.
Don't want to go there without him, my oldest mate and we have a lot of good memories of St Mellion trips
???

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Looks like I've got the 12!
3 nice friendly 4 balls......

So the plan is to drive down on the morning of Weds 13th July, play a round on the Kernow course that afternoon, say 3pm(ish) and then play one round on the Nicklaus on Thursday morning, and the other on Friday morning after vacating rooms.
If anybody wants to book another round on either course that can be played on the Thursday afternoon. Me? After walking the Nicklaus on Thursday morning I'll be in an ice bath all afternoon...

1. Smiffy
2. Dando (Single room?)
3. Twire
4. Oddsocks
5. Grizzly (Single room?)
6. Ray Taylor
7. Beezerk (?)
8. IanM (Single room?)
9. Greg Lindley
10. Norman Porritt
11. Ewan Porritt
12. Fish

Reserves
1. SteveW86
2. JustOne

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Clearly travel times are the factor, but humbly suggest slightly earlier tee off on Wednesday if folk can get there, it allows time to chill before dinner….or even shower and change.

and I appreciate I’m closer than several!

Nothing is booked yet Ian, so open to suggestions. I was just thinking about travelling times as you say. I'll be leaving early in the morning, it's a 5 hour jaunt for me (google says less but I know from experience what the drive down there is like).
I'd hate to book the first round too early and be worried that people weren't going to get there on time, but as I say it's early days yet and nothing is definite.
But thanks for your thoughts mate. Appreciated.
(y)(y)(y)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think I’ll find a premier inn for the Tuesday and Friday evenings as google has me as a 7hr drive and I don’t fancy that in 1 day with golf

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Think I’ll find a premier inn for the Tuesday and Friday evenings as google has me as a 7hr drive and I don’t fancy that in 1 day with golf
As I say, it's 5 hours for me from East Sussex. I'll be leaving about 5 in the morning so hopefully I can get in my room and have a nice hot shower before the game...

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately, the new date hasn't worked perfectly for SteveW86, so he has asked to go on the reserve list.
Oddsocks comes in as the twelfth definite.
If I got four definite reserves, I could possibly look at increasing total to 16.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just had a look at the hole flyovers on youtube and I'm not sure i made the right call in putting my name down for this without looking at the course first. apart from the par 3's i don't think i'll be hitting anything more than 7 iron.

we should donate £1 for every ball we lose to H4H

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
just had a look at the hole flyovers on youtube and I'm not sure i made the right call in putting my name down for this without looking at the course first. apart from the par 3's i don't think i'll be hitting anything more than 7 iron.

we should donate £1 for every ball we lose to H4H
That will double the fund then, one hole alone will get £12

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Could be a big bill!

It looks worse on the vids! (honest) :ROFLMAO: Then you get to the green:eek:

A few years back we had our team end of season away trip there. Chap I was playing with hit a towering iron into the 18th green, it came to rest about 5 feet away. He turned to put his club back in the back and it started to move... rolled off the green in to a swale. The language wasn't great!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's tough, but not unplayable. Best I've ever scored around there was 32 points I think, and that included 2 or 3 holes I completely messed up. My personal bogey hole there is the par 5 twelfth. I must have played that hole getting on for a dozen times in total and I don't recall ever scoring a point on it. Trees and undergrowth all the way down the left and a stream that runs all the way down the right hand side and then cuts across in front of the green.....

The whole place though is amazing. Trying to explain it is difficult, but the size of the trees and general layout makes you feel minute. It's the only course I've ever played that makes me feel like that. It's awesome.

Last edited: