Spikes or Cleats

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What is your preference in the Winter. I've just finished taking my softspikes out of both pairs of shoes and replacing them with spikes. Find I get a much better grip in wet winter conditions.

Does your club allow spikes or are you restricted to softspike all year?

These spikes will stay in until March now and I'll change back (weather permitting). New set of softspikes for the new season then replace them after 4-6 months (they seem to break on my course or get worn down - not sure why not many paths etc)

Anyway look forward to seeing what everyones preferred choice is for the winter

Happy golfing
Homer

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My new footjoys have wierd spikes, I'm guessing these are sort of soft multi-spikes....dunno, been asleep since 2002, missed all the action. Seem to hold the wet ground well, but take about 25 minutes to clean, as opposed to 20 seconds on the electric roller!

Will probably get a set of classic spikes off my pro, if I'm allowed.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
personally, I find that the cleats give better grip anyway, even in the winter, so I use them all the time. Also saves changing them when I play in Spain or Portugal where they always seem to insist that your have them.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
know what you mean about the footjoy cleats - they're a b****r to clean. I don't know if I can get spikes with the twist-lock so I may be stuck with them - at least I'll keep Greenskeeper happy stripping out the thatch!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you reckon the cleats are permanent on greenjoys?
I hope not, that would be so depressing....never had a set of shoes that didn't need replacement spikes.

I'm worried now....

Dave

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Viscount17

I have a pair of Dryjoys and American Golf do a set of quick lock spike that fit the Footjoys. Give them a try. I changed them for my game this morning. Not only did I not collect crap loads of frost as I do with soft spikes but my grip was much better and they were easy to clean

Happy golfing
Homer