Spikes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Now that the new rules have come in allowing spike marks to be tapped down on the green, do you think clubs will begin to change their policy back and allow spikes in golf shoes again. At this time of year I do feel from personal experience that I have always felt more stable in spikes than cleats and I'm tempted to put a set into an old pair of winter shoes again knowing my PP's can tap down any marks I inadvertently leave

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never come across a course in the UK that has a ban on spikes. I use cleats or Pro Stingers in my shoes when the ground gets soft. Spikeless shoes just don't work when the ground is soft and wet.

D

Deleted member 3432

Its recommended by the club we wear metal spikes during frosty weather.

Mainly due to higher likelyhood of slipping on pathways.

Rest of the time its spikeless due to links turf.

dronfield

Visit site
About 5 years ago i put metal spikes in some old shoes for winter wear - you could hear me quite a few yards away walking along the tarmac to the first tee!

Reminded people of how golf used to sound.

In all seriousness, they were better than cleats on frosty mornings, when suddenly with a layer of ice attached to your shoe you feel like you are wearing platform soles!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I've ever seen a sign banning spikes. Is it a southern thing?

I've never slipped once in plastic spikes, what is the benefit of metal ones?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leeds Golf Centre...first one I found after approximately 15 seconds
I can't be bothered to play your game - if you're that interested go and search..
There are plenty.
Believe me or don't.

1 out of 2500+ so far then. I know of 2 so let’s call it 3 so that certainly back up your point - sorry.

I’ve got soft spikes anyway so I’m fine!!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

From my personal experience I just find I get a better grip with a spike in soft muddy conditions and the frost. Of course the down side was they could leave spike marks on wet greens which is why some clubs banned them. The current dress code on the club website says golf footwear and makes no reference to spikes being allowed or not so think I may be giving it a go and seeing what happens

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From my personal experience I just find I get a better grip with a spike in soft muddy conditions and the frost. Of course the down side was they could leave spike marks on wet greens which is why some clubs banned them. The current dress code on the club website says golf footwear and makes no reference to spikes being allowed or not so think I may be giving it a go and seeing what happens

When did you last try spikes?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have never been banned where I play but a course near to where I live does.

On a personal level I have never had a problem with plastic cleats as long as they are renewed regularly. The only downside to them is I have to regularly check them as the do get grass build up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do metal spikes actually provide more grip or is it all in the head?
Less grip to grass; more grip when searching out stable ground deeper down ie through an unstable surface turf into underlying soil (normally clay).
In many ways it is in people heads.
I've certainly had as many bad falls on banks wearing titanium spikes as I have good cleats.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site

You have been very fortunate that you haven't slipped whilst wearing plastic spikes ,I slipped once and spent 17months signed off work because of it