Should we go back to metal spikes?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found with metal spikes I'd always lose a couple walking across carparks to get to the first tee. Use Soft spikes all the time now and to me there is no difference.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now that we are allowed to tap down spike marks should we go back to metal spikes as I do believe that the plastic things that replaced the metal spikes damaged greens more than what they replaced.....?
Certainly not - purely for the damage they cause! (Fortunately) my club never allowed them - because of the initial type of grass.

And, of course, the new rules have several amendments intended to help pace of play. Those improvements would all be negated by the need to repair all the damage caused by metal spike wearers, even those that 'only' leave spike holes! As for those that do real damage to greens by inconsiderate scraping....!!:mad:

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those that long for the sound. You could do it cheaply with a speaker which plays the sound of clickity clack shoes when you break a laser as you walk along the side of the clubhouse heading towards the first tee.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those that long for the sound. You could do it cheaply with a speaker which plays the sound of clickity clack shoes when you break a laser as you walk along the side of the clubhouse heading towards the first tee.
I am sure anyone putting on nearby greens would be happy with that.
At mine 9 and 18 greens are right by the clubhouse.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can give it the big stare and wait as you scowl at the laser breaker. How dare they click clack over your putt. Haha
That’s the good thing about spikeless you can sneak up on people.
I use mine off the course for walking they are brilliant .
I couldn’t do that in spikes.
I have got some but use them on the practice ground, there in my adizero 1s.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Metal spikes are still prevalent on the tour and I used them up until a couple of years ago, they are harder to source now and also harder to get the type that fit your shoe. Soft spikes can cause just as much damage if people scuff their feet

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Metal spikes are still prevalent on the tour and I used them up until a couple of years ago, they are harder to source now and also harder to get the type that fit your shoe. Soft spikes can cause just as much damage if people scuff their
I would still use them no problem in wet or slippery conditions, especially when playing in competition
my course is quite hilly especially banks around the greens and I would definitely use them in slippery conditions