Spikes/Cleats

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know spikeless shoes are growing in popularity but many, even most, still have cleats in their shoes.
Do you have a preference?
Do you care?
There seem to be so many different designs as well as 3-4 fixing systems....is there a difference between them?
Anyone still use metal spikes?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cleats 😱😱. We are not Americans.

I'm on spikes still but there is no real choice as it comes down to what actually fits my shoes. I have puma shoes and they have a specific fitting mechanism. Their own spikes are rubbish, snapping and falling out one by one and I am replacing them with Adidas ones for no other reason than I thought they looked smart.

I'll be going spikeless next time. My son has Adidas boost shoes, he has not lost grip once and he says they are ridiculously comfortable. The days of spiked shoes are numbered.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have metal spikes in my winter shoes. Soft spikes in a pair of FJ Contours, and 2 pairs of Adidas Gripmores. All of them do the job fine. But the Gripmores also get used away from golf.

Cleats? What is this cleats you speak of? A shellfish?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ive a couple of pairs of Ecco spikeless shoes i'm mighty impressed with, but still have a few pairs with spikes...Which TBH i prefer.

I still have a pair of gortex ecco with metal spikes for the winter, but with how mild it was this year didn't wear them once.

main gripe is as mentioned the different types of spikes used. I went to change a couple in my Bio M and they were a completely different tread to any of the other pairs, so now have to buy a pack of these to ad to the box of mixed spikes with 4 different treads in.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a huge range of shoes and whilst it's obvious that some soles suit some conditions better I don't have any 'spikes' on the basis that they don't add anything imo. If there is grass present then even soft spikes will grip the grass fully if kept clear (carry small hard brush when required).
The rounded spineless (eg stuburt) lose grip quickly in damp conditions, but the good pimple ones (e.g. Eco street) work well on damp grass, and can be the best overall when damp grass curringts are clogging softspikes etc.
Cleats seem to have fallen out of favour but the FJ Synrgy soles with a mix of cleats and sole elements are excellent in wet and muddy conditions, and much easier to keep clean than soft spikes.
My comment about the stinger type spikes is based on experiences on clay soils. I can see the case for them on firm stable soil with little grass.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Another user of Pro Stinger in the winter. In the summer I do use either some form of softspikes as a preference but also have a pair of Skechers GoGolf studded soles. I still prefer the softspikes over the studded models as ours is hilly course and can be slippery when damp.
I'd agree about all the different types of fitting systems being a pain and definitely about the Puma spikes which just break up. I've replaced them with Masters ones with no problems.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I still think there is a place for both. When it's really wet and muddy through the winter months I use shoes with soft spikes. As soon as the ground starts to firm up a bit I'll switch to spikeless shoes. I'm currently using Adidas in both forms - Tour 360 in the mud, and Gripmore's at the moment. Both shoes have been excellent thus far.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one even sells metal spikes anymore do they? I never see them.

My golf shoes are about 8 years old I reckon - adidas ones which are the old style soft spikes - so they have screw in studs but these don't spike out as much as the ones you see now. They're probably halfway between the spiked and non-spiked shoes you see nowadays. (I know I've described that badly but I didn't know how else to say it really. I suspect they were the 'summer shoe' option of 8-9 years ago, given that completely spikeless didn't really exist then.)

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have some pro-stinger for winter, soft spikes in a couple of pair and a pair of spikeless. Wooden sleepers as steps don't really go with soft spikes as I found to my pain a couple of years back!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I prefer soft spikes simply on a comfort basis. I have never really seen any difference in grip between metal spikes and a pair of shoes with a good grip pattern and newish cleats except in the ice and snow on a tarmacked road.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No one even sells metal spikes anymore do they? I never see them.

My golf shoes are about 8 years old I reckon - adidas ones which are the old style soft spikes - so they have screw in studs but these don't spike out as much as the ones you see now. They're probably halfway between the spiked and non-spiked shoes you see nowadays. (I know I've described that badly but I didn't know how else to say it really. I suspect they were the 'summer shoe' option of 8-9 years ago, given that completely spikeless didn't really exist then.)

Try this http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Champ_Pro_Stinger_Spikes.html