Spikeless shoes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I took a punt on a pair of Footjoy AWD XL Casual from 2017.

I've got those, bought them in a sale at the start of the season. An old model that they've replaced, perfect time to get them. I've been really pleased with them. Clearly not been tested in bad weather but comfy and no grip issues. A really good choice, based on my own experiences.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear Ecco Biom hybrids all through the winter, with never any issues. This time of year I wear my Ashworth Cardiff’s (more summery colours) which at £40 a pair with a 2 year waterproof warranty are well worth their money.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wear Ecco Biom hybrids all through the winter, with never any issues. This time of year I wear my Ashworth Cardiff’s (more summery colours) which at £40 a pair with a 2 year waterproof warranty are well worth their money.

some great deals on last years ecco s to be had still

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just hijacking the thread slightly since you probably have enough suggestions by now... :lol:

How long do you guys expect a pair of golf shoes to last?? September last year I bought mine, a Callaway pair that were £50 in AG. They've been very comfortable, but ten months on they look to be on verge of collapse. On one of them there's a split between the sole and leather down one side, and a split across the toe on one as well. I'm a bit disappointed at the level of wear and tear shown already really. Is 50 quid just not enough to spend to get a decent pair of golf shoes?? (Note, they are not the canvas summer variety either, they are the all year round supposedly tougher variety.)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just hijacking the thread slightly since you probably have enough suggestions by now... :lol:

How long do you guys expect a pair of golf shoes to last?? September last year I bought mine, a Callaway pair that were £50 in AG. They've been very comfortable, but ten months on they look to be on verge of collapse. On one of them there's a split between the sole and leather down one side, and a split across the toe on one as well. I'm a bit disappointed at the level of wear and tear shown already really. Is 50 quid just not enough to spend to get a decent pair of golf shoes?? (Note, they are not the canvas summer variety either, they are the all year round supposedly tougher variety.)

it will depend on how much wear they get TBH. I have a few pairs and rota them around;) i've found this way mine last me 4 or 5 years at least and i play alot

I had a pair of Fj a few years ago that leaked after a 6 months when they were sent back to FJ they came back to say they were worn to access and the 12 months warranty was void. I had worn them 4 times a week for that 6 months . to them this was excessive wear

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
it will depend on how much wear they get TBH. I have a few pairs and rota them around;) i've found this way mine last me 4 or 5 years at least and i play alot

I had a pair of Fj a few years ago that leaked after a 6 months when they were sent back to FJ they came back to say they were worn to access and the 12 months warranty was void. I had worn them 4 times a week for that 6 months . to them this was excessive wear
I have one pair, but generally I play once per week, at the weekend. So in the time I've owned these shoes they can only have been worn at most around 50 times I'd guess?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've bought cheap, middle and a little above, I'm not paying big for golf shoes. I reckon 18 months or so is about what you can get out of a pair before they start to struggle. Allowing for winter etc that should be 2 seasons. I probably play 30-35 times a year in all.

I gave up stressing about 100% waterproofing a while ago and bought some Sealskinz socks for the winter months. Golf shoes aren't what they used to be...……...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have one pair, but generally I play once per week, at the weekend. So in the time I've owned these shoes they can only have been worn at most around 50 times I'd guess?

you would have to check the small print TBH, 12 months isn't that when it comes to wear and tear i've found

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
you would have to check the small print TBH, 12 months isn't that when it comes to wear and tear i've found
Got no idea where the receipt went tbh, I was more just thinking ahead to my replacement pair, and how much I'd have to spend to get decent quality! Perhaps I just got unlucky with these ones, who knows.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got no idea where the receipt went tbh, I was more just thinking ahead to my replacement pair, and how much I'd have to spend to get decent quality! Perhaps I just got unlucky with these ones, who knows.

Also depend on how well looked after they were as well, damp muddy shoes over winter won't last as long if not cleaned and dried properly, Esp down there you had a wet winter.

I would look at a couple of pairs. and rotate them, plenty of bargains to be had even Ecco for less than half price. some cheap ones for wet muddy days and better ones for summer maybe.

I usually religate my old shoes to winter trash them over that time as they get left at the club over winter then chuck them

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve still got running shoes and other trainers that are several years old and still fit for purpose, so less than 12 months wear out of a pair of shoes isn’t very good IMO.

I’ve ran half marathons and hundreds of gym sessions in a £50 pair of running trainers that are still in great nick and will last years to come.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ve still got running shoes and other trainers that are several years old and still fit for purpose, so less than 12 months wear out of a pair of shoes isn’t very good IMO.

I’ve ran half marathons and hundreds of gym sessions in a £50 pair of running trainers that are still in great nick and will last years to come.

TBH fair through how may half Marathons in them?? and game of golf is 3 miles plus each time, so 3 games a week is the same as a HM as good as, plus over winter mud and water come into it which they don't running on pavments

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah fair point. I guess if you’re playing 150 rounds a year then it’s reasonable. If you play once a week and they’re lasting a year before collapsing that’s pretty poor.

D

Deleted member 16999

Manafacturers reckon decent running shoes last about 500 miles before the cushioning starts to break down.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah fair point. I guess if you’re playing 150 rounds a year then it’s reasonable. If you play once a week and they’re lasting a year before collapsing that’s pretty poor.
Agree! Love my Callaway irons, but as far as shoes go I don't think I'll be looking at theirs again. :lol:

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Manafacturers reckon decent running shoes last about 500 miles before the cushioning starts to break down.

Yeah so I’d have thought a decent pair of golf shoes should last more than that given how much more of a pounding running shoes would take on concrete compared to walking on grass.

I suspect that as with many things in life, price and quality are not always reflective of one another!