My dumb questions about golf.

JenniferRodriquez

Visit site
How Long Does a Memory Foam Mattress Topper Last?

A common question that a new buyer of memory foam mattress toppers often has is how long it can last and whether its lifespan is the same as that of their bed. In this article, we're going to tell you how long a top-rated mattress topper can stay with you and what you can do to extend that period.

➪➪➪ See Page: Best Mattress Toppers - Our Picks and Buyer’s Guide

How Long Does It Last?

You may think that a mattress topper made from memory foam can last for a long time, or at least as long as memory foam beds. But that’s not true.

Mattress toppers, including memory foam models, have an average lifespan of three to five years. However, this applies only to high-end products. Cheaper toppers can last only up to two years. The real number depends on a lot of other factors, such as how well you take care of the topper, the quality of your mattress, the topper’s thickness, how much you use it, and the total weight you put on it.

P7I6hTP.jpg

Weight

You can innocently make your mattress topper’s life shorter by overloading its pressure points. A mattress made from memory foam often has a high-density base and a high-resilience core, making it more sturdy against other loads. However, unfortunately, memory foam toppers don't have these features. More weight in various sleep positions means more open cells will crumple quickly as compared to normal pressure.

Thickness

The normal rule is that thicker mattress toppers will have a longer lifespan, as they will take longer to wear out while providing a greater level of comfort. Thinner toppers tend to break down quicker, so you will need to go to the store to buy a replacement more quickly.

◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆

❖❖❖ Related Article: Mattress Topper Reviews

◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆

The Quality of Your Mattress

As people generally lay toppers over their existing mattress, the mattress’s condition will dramatically affect how your topper works. If your mattress is very old and in poor condition, it will already be sagging and worn out in places. As a result, the memory foam mattress topper will simply adapt to that contour, making the sag more visible because of its contouring and soft nature. This is when your topper begins to enter the end of its lifespan.

Even if your mattress looks brand-new, if you suffer from back pain in your sleep, it's time to replace it, whether or not you have a foam topper on it.

The period of use before you should replace your mattress is seven years. Once it has reached this point, you may find serious signs of wearing out, such as protruding wires, sagging, and cracks. When a mattress is this old, it tends to be less comfortable, lessening the intended effects of memory foam toppers and even decreasing the topper’s lifespan.

How Often You Use Your Topper

The more often you use your topper for mattresses, the shorter its lifespan will be. That's why the topper in your guest bedroom will last longer than the one on your bed. If you spend eight hours every day on your topper, the constant pressure will wear out it more quickly.

QxatbDO.jpg

Maintenance

This may sound strange but, as with other complicated products, how long a memory foam mattress topper lasts depends on how you take care of it.

Toppers are difficult to maintain and clean but that doesn’t mean you can't find a way to do it. You should clean your topper at least once or twice a year – if possible, using a vacuum cleaner. Then spray detergent solution and water on the topper before washing it.

If you do not clean it properly and regularly, the odor, accumulated debris, pet urine, and food stains will ruin it over time.

Conclusion

The lifespan of a memory foam topper, even from the Best Rated Mattress Topper, depends not only on how you use it but also on the condition of the mattress itself. The topper can last a long time if you put some effort into taking care of it.

Last edited:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not a dumb question one of the fundamentals in the golf swing is finding the lowest point of the down swing (where the club contacts the ground) so you can position the ball in the stance where the club contacts the ball first and then the ground.
The best bit of advice I can give you at the moment would be to find a PGA pro and have lessons but I see that is difficult in your case. There are plenty of pros that do online lessons and there are many pros that post on YouTube, the one I found particularly useful is Shawn Clements he has tons of stuff out there.
Asking random strangers for advice can get confusing because we all have our opinions about the golf swing and they may well differ from person to person Bobmac on here is a PGA Pro and is worth listening too, so welcome to the Forum hope this was helpful to you.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
2. I wouldn’t worry too much about a driver for now if I was you. People who have played for years still struggle with a driver as it is such a long club and hard to control.
3. Your club probably has a white line in one of the grooves, just try and ger that line face the target to line up.

4. Yes grip lightly as you don’t need to throttle it as your arms will tense up and you won’t be able to swing well
1. And 5. I will leave to others

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

Point 4, it is one of my problems. When not playing well I grip tighter and tighter, squeezing the life out of the club. I have to consciously relax my arms and grip. I find it easier to do with a driver and fairway Woods, harder with irons for the reason you mention.

The issue is how strong should your grip be? I suspect you will have to play around and find that out for yourself. The thing to remember, I've read this soooooo many times from teaching and playing pros so this is proper advice not me, tension costs distance. The tighter you grip the more distance you lose. Hold that thought and try grip pressures that give you enough control on your club but no more.

Good luck, keep asking questions, none of yours were 'dumb', and enjoy.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
5] It is not keeping your head 'down' that you should concentrate on but keeping your head 'still' [ie not moving].
Your head is on top of a six foot column and weighs a fifth of your body weight. It's all about balance.
Balance is seldom mentioned in golf science, but to me it is crucial.

One old tip for that with a tee shot is to watch what happens to your tee peg after you have hit the ball.
Or with a fairway shot to pretend that there is a 5p piece [tanner in my day] under the ball once you have hit it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Hello

I am new to golfing and trying to figure it out. I want to take lessons but unfortunately there is only one guy in my area and all his reviews are that he basically steals your money and cancels your lessons.

Hi Jennifer, what area are you in? and how far would you be prepared to travel for lessons? I ask this as there are plenty of members located around the UK, it may be that they can give you a good recommendation for a teaching pro. If you're not in the UK, that may not be an option, but it's worth a try.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you get the basics right that will help you.
Learn how to hold the club in a neutral position

strong-vs-weak-gripm.jpg

Then learn how to stand at the start.

Then learn how to stand at the end.

Try and film yourself so you can see if you're doing what you think you are doing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IF you are gong to teach yourself I would always recommend buying a club grip trainer.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Rubber-Golf-Club-Swing-Training-Grip-Trainer-Practice-Aid-Correct-Hand/233587890015?epid=0&hash=item3662ec575f:g:UFgAAOSwWbxevXRv

better if fitted to a club and that will show you how the club face should point as well*3 Without one the grooves on the club should be square to the target line

2. With full swings with any club the swing and weight transfer is the same ie the weight moves to the trailing leg on the back swing and transfers to the leading leg on the forward swing.

4. I was taught that should imagine holding a bird in your hand so that it cannot fly away but not so tight you would kill it.

5. "Look for the spot" Imagine a spot under the ball and you are trying to see it after you have hit the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
IF you are gong to teach yourself I would always recommend buying a club grip trainer.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Rubber-Golf-Club-Swing-Training-Grip-Trainer-Practice-Aid-Correct-Hand/233587890015?epid=0&hash=item3662ec575f:g:UFgAAOSwWbxevXRv

better if fitted to a club and that will show you how the club face should point as well*3 Without one the grooves on the club should be square to the target line

2. With full swings with any club the swing and weight transfer is the same ie the weight moves to the trailing leg on the back swing and transfers to the leading leg on the forward swing.

4. I was taught that should imagine holding a bird in your hand so that it cannot fly away but not so tight you would kill it.

5. "Look for the spot" Imagine a spot under the ball and you are trying to see it after you have hit the ball.

Just two points if I may...

I don't know if those grip trainers come in different sizes nowadays because one size does not fit all.
My other question would be is it a good idea to suggest a transfer of weight onto the back foot as that could easily turn into a sway if unsupervised.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome @JR - I think the only 'dumb' question someone could ask about golf would be 'which end do I hold';)

Golf is a simple game with a myriad of complexities - and often untangling the complexities can be quite a challenge...mostly though only if we choose to make it a challenge.

As an old fella told me when I started playing. You put your ball on the tee and hit it, and you continue to hit it, and don't touch or pick it up again unless you must, until you are picking it out of the hole.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
5. It's not about keeping your head still, it's about maintaining your posture - look on youtube/see a pro about this (and most other stuff as well)

PS welcome to the forum.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just two points if I may...

I don't know if those grip trainers come in different sizes nowadays because one size does not fit all.
My other question would be is it a good idea to suggest a transfer of weight onto the back foot as that could easily turn into a sway if unsupervised.

The grip trainers I have bought or built for others tend to be on the smaller size I'm ML hand and it is a snug fit for me so probably a good fit for someone with M hands or smaller.

Re transfer weight if the lady is going to go the self taught route it is better to learn the correct movement rather than leading to trailing transfer on the downswing I have seen in so many that have clearly not had a lesson. I would say getting rid of sway is possibly an easier fix than getting rid of reverse weight transfer.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hello

I am new to golfing and trying to figure it out. I want to take lessons but unfortunately there is only one guy in my area and all his reviews are that he basically steals your money and cancels your lessons.
Here are my questions about golf so I can hopefully continue to teach myself. I have a lot of free time over the next month and have gotten a book that is helping a bit but I need more help:
Here are my biggest questions in no particular order (please number in your answer so I can read them better).
  1. I can hit a 7 iron and up pretty nicely but anything below that seems to be garbage. Any tips?
  2. I know with a driver I am supposed to transfer my weight to my front foot, do I do the same with irons or should I try to keep my body quieter?
  3. How do I know exactly how a clubs face should be at address? For instance should I try to just put the club down and make the face perpendicular to my target line?
  4. Should I really hold the club as loose as everyone says.. even if I am swinging an iron? (If it hits the grass wont it just cause it to turn?)
  5. Are there any tricks to help me keep my head down and not pull up on the ball?
Thanks for reading and taking the time to answer me. I might add some more questions if people respond.

First of all, Jen, EVERY golf question is a dumb question so don't worry about it.

Here's a mental thought that has helped many new players.

Your goal is to push the ball forward in a straight line. Just forward, not up.
Nothing about your swing makes the ball go into the air.

The ball gets momentarily egg-shaped when you hit it, this parallel to the lofted face of the club.
The process of becoming round again is what makes it go up into the air.

All you want to do, then, is hit it straight forward as forcefully as you can, and if you think this way, you won't lift up on the ball.

Also, balance is a problem with beginners.
This being the case, don't lift your left heel (assuming that you're right handed) in an attempt to execute a longer backswing.
Keep that left heel flat on the ground.
That will help your balance so the downswing will take the intended path.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Don't be scared to get stuck in or ask questions. As you've seen most on here will be really helpful

One question - where are you based? I am sure there must be more than one PGA pro locally that you could use. Ask around as I always think word of mouth is a strong recommendations

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If you get the basics right that will help you.
Learn how to hold the club in a neutral position

View attachment 31047

Then learn how to stand at the start.

Then learn how to stand at the end.

Try and film yourself so you can see if you're doing what you think you are doing.

Check this in front of a mirror as well I was adamant I was the last picture but I was actually the first

That grip causes the right shoulder to be further forward than the left

In to out swing city for me

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along. Don't be scared to get stuck in or ask questions. As you've seen most on here will be really helpful

One question - where are you based? I am sure there must be more than one PGA pro locally that you could use. Ask around as I always think word of mouth is a strong recommendations

I have slight suspicion, given the time of posting and the name, that the poster is not UK-based. I have been known to jump to conclusions.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hello
4. Should I really hold the club as loose as everyone says.. even if I am swinging an iron? (If it hits the grass wont it just cause it to turn?)
5. Are there any tricks to help me keep my head down and not pull up on the ball?
4. You shouldn't be 'throttling' the club, but you need to be able control it properly. Grip tension needs to change throughout the swing and be 'solid' when it strikes the ball. A golf club is relatively heavy compared to most other 'swing and hit' sports equipment (Cricket Bat is the only heavier 'tool' that springs to mind). Have you played Hockey? That (or maybe Tennis, but debatable) are the closest I can think of for a 'reference'.
5. I hate the 'Keep your head down' expression - it's so wrong! 'Under control' is much better. Doon frae Troon has it spot on!

Here's a vid showing a really easy way to swing, though it's not 'traditional'! I know several folk who have adopted this swing, including an ex-Pro. While 'focused' on 'Seniors' (avoiding muscle/joint pain issues) it's relevant for all ages.
Check the comments. Here's another related one more in a lesson mode