Pro - new shoes

dronfield

Visit site
Hi

Am sure this will have been asked before & hope not a stupid question.

How often will a Tour Pro wear a brand new pair of shoes ie, every few events. Assume not every week as would potentially need to break them in rather than risk discomfort during a round.

Cheers

Rich

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Each to their own, but I'd guess they will have 2 or 3 pairs on the go at any one time, but probably more to match their outfit.

Personally I'd be wearing softer shoes whenever possible (like Justin Rose) as they obviously rarely play in wet conditions.

Also, who knows what kind of customised / adapted versions of shoes these guys get from the manufacturer, compared with what you buy off the shelf. If you think that a pair of top end waterproof shoes might take the average golfer 5 or 6 rounds to really walk in (could be more) a Tour Pro is just not going to accept that and obviously cannot risk tearing their feet to shreds one day.

The manufacturer is not going to want them keeping an older pair of shoes in play and not wearing the latest gear so they may well give them softer kit which they can change regularly. Obviously you or I spending £140 on a pair of FootJoys are going to expect 2 or 3 years out of them. A Tour Pro, 2 or 3 months.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some seem to wear new ones every round.
Often on their twitter feeds showing off "todays" new shoes.

As Grant 85 - they must be using softer materials or a little man in a cupboard is breaking them in, as the risk of buggered feet is a no go.
Although, lots of shoes now are synthetic materials as opposed leather, so that probably reduces the blister risk a bit

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a lovely image of a host of people walking around in circles at Footjoy HQ breaking in shoes for pro's, thanks jobr1850 :D. I wish they'd do that for me as well.

dronfield

Visit site
Cheers all - agree that whilst it looks like they are always wearing new shoes, the breaking in risk suggests that this prob not the case and they do prob have a few in curculation.

Jiminez with his hand made leather "spats" will certainly have a few pairs on the go each season.

Rich

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest they use them during the week in practice on the range and in practice rounds to break them in. Can't see any player risking a pair of poorly fitting shoes affecting their round.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't remember ever having to wear in golf shoes. In fact the only time I've felt uncomfortable with golf shoes was after getting fitted for Footjoy shoes and they were fine until about 8 holes in and then rubbed. Swapped for half size bigger and all fine.

If you have the correct size then you don't need to wear them in, and I very much doubt any tour pro doesn't know their shoe size.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't remember ever having to wear in golf shoes. In fact the only time I've felt uncomfortable with golf shoes was after getting fitted for Footjoy shoes and they were fine until about 8 holes in and then rubbed. Swapped for half size bigger and all fine.

If you have the correct size then you don't need to wear them in, and I very much doubt any tour pro doesn't know their shoe size.
It's not just about size, it's about the shape of the shoe as well. You are lucky if you have no problems but for many, me included, the shape is critical. Too many shoes, golf or normal, are too pointed for me, I need rounder ended shoes. That point will rub my toes, no matter how correct the size. A sharp point is unwearable, a less pointed end can be broken in as the leather stretches, a round end is heaven but rare.