Leather soled shoes

RichA

Visit site
Random question for a golf forum, but I can't bring myself to join a fashion forum...

Will I regret buying really nice leather soled shoes when the pavements become wet and slippy?

The Barker shoes with Dainite soles, that I've had for 10 years, are being resoled. I'm looking for a new pair to share their burden. I walk to and from the station and, when you add all the in between movement, I'm probably covering about 6 miles per day on foot.
They don't make the old ones anymore. The ones I like best have leather soles, which I haven't experienced for decades.
Anyone wear leather soled shoes all year round and cover similar mileage care to give an opinion please?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it's not that helpful but I once looked at a pair of leather soled shoes that had a sticker on them saying 'not for excessive outdoor use'. Promptly put back on the shelf.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Random question for a golf forum, but I can't bring myself to join a fashion forum...

Will I regret buying really nice leather soled shoes when the pavements become wet and slippy?

The Barker shoes with Dainite soles, that I've had for 10 years, are being resoled. I'm looking for a new pair to share their burden. I walk to and from the station and, when you add all the in between movement, I'm probably covering about 6 miles per day on foot.
They don't make the old ones anymore. The ones I like best have leather soles, which I haven't experienced for decades.
Anyone wear leather soled shoes all year round and cover similar mileage care to give an opinion please?

Yes you will; best kept for high days & holidays.

If you must, scrub them in then get a rubber outsole stuck over them & keep replacing that.

RichA

Visit site
Yes you will; best kept for high days & holidays.

If you must, scrub them in then get a rubber outsole stuck over them & keep replacing that.
Thanks - suspected as much.
I couldn't bring myself to do that. I'd liken it to spending £300 on a fitted golf club and immediately sticking lead tape all over the back.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother these days. I have 2 extremely nice pairs, one in black and the same in brown. Leather-soled, look and feel amazing. Pain in the arris for 60% of the year. I wont bother again. Gimme comfort and dry feet and not fifty quid a pop to get them resoled when the leather splits as they have gone wet/dry/wet/dry etc...

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had leather soled shoes for work once... Didn't know they got slippery when it rained. I fell over in the middle of the road in central London.

I won't buy them again.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My previous employer sells these within their range. I had the joy a few years ago to pick up a £300 pair for £40 in the sample sale. For £40 they were nice shoes, but I got wet feed in them on occasions. I guess there is a reason why they do foto shoots at Lake Como in the summer rather than at St. Paul’s in the rain. ‘Our’ (well, their now) shoes have a rubber bit in the heel for anti slippiness.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Leather soles on a nice pair of brogues or boots are great in the summer. When winter comes, take them down the cobblers and have them put rubber soles on. Then replace the rubber soles as they wear out.
Modern shoes don't have the option to stick a sole on, so I tend to avoid them.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Don't walk on wet wooden decking in leather soled shoes. I did so at my sisters wedding, with a freshly poured pint. I soon ended up on my back, with said pint all over my brand new suit. Lesson learnt.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have a lovely pair that I had bought whilst shopping in New York. They made their debut on a very wet day back in London and negotiating the long ramp down to the Waterloo & City line isn't something I have repeated since. They're now only worn in very particular (weather) conditions.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not seeing anything on this thread to recommend them. What is the benefit of them?
Perfect if you want to sprint along the pavement and slide to a stop, like Normal Wisdom in a 1960s film.
Probably better for your knees if you're doing a tango too.
Pretty niche these days but all the expensive shoemakers still make loads of them.