Southerness gc and Powfoot Gc advice.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few of us thinking about playing these 2 courses over 2 days come summertime. Or suggestions for other courses in that area.
Any thoughts on where to stay overnight, hopefully near a decent boozer?
TIA

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We played both of them years ago, my memory of them are Southerness is a magnificent beast. Most of the Par 4s were over 400 yards and many of them had an endless carry over gorse. On the Friday the gale came off the Irish Sea with horizontal rain, it was brutal. On the Sunday we went out and encountered three people the whole round. Like Silloth, if it was anywhere else you couldn't afford it and wouldn't get on anyway.
Powfoot might have been a good course, we played it twice on the Saturday and I can only remember one hole. We stayed at the Paul Jones Hotel in Southerness. The owner introduced us to Big *** The Farmer, and we sat drinking whiskey with him until 5 O'clock in the morning, when he set off on a 7-mile walk home to his farm because he had to milk the cows. Me? I didn't recover until Sunday morning.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
As to the second part of your question. I put a trip together for us to visit Portpatrick, Newton Stewart and Stranraer. Even though the courses look to have the potential to make a great trip we are not going, just too far to travel.

If you have ever travelled on that A75 or any of the B roads in Dumfries you'll understand why. It's been a while since we were over there, and it might have improved, perhaps someone from that way can comment.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Powfoot gc is next to Queensberry Bay holiday park. You may be able to rent a static caravan there. There is a bar on site, a hotel with a bar, outside seating, all with a view of the Solway within a 5 minute walk. Annan is a short drive, or taxi away.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Any thoughts on alternative courses instead of Southerness, it's £90 on the Sunday we want.
Years ago when we played the Steward suggested that one of us could take up membership for not much more than the price you quoted. The idea being that we could travel across on a regular basis, and the member could sign us in. As I said previously, home to Carlisle fine, Carlisle to Southerness not so fine, so it was never an option.

Which area are you travelling from?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few of us thinking about playing these 2 courses over 2 days come summertime. Or suggestions for other courses in that area.
Any thoughts on where to stay overnight, hopefully near a decent boozer?
TIA

Billy, act your age, put your feet up, and watch the telly.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're all from the Motherwell area, so straight down the M74 then cut across country, the roads aren't great I know lol.
All experienced golfers, our ages range from 52 to 76 and handicaps sadly range from 13 to 25 these days.
We're just looking to play 2 decent not too difficult courses at a reasonable price.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We're all from the Motherwell area, so straight down the M74 then cut across country, the roads aren't great I know lol.
All experienced golfers, our ages range from 52 to 76 and handicaps sadly range from 13 to 25 these days.
We're just looking to play 2 decent not too difficult courses at a reasonable price.
Shame, if you had been travelling up from down south I could have been a bit more helpful as I have been looking at clubs in Lancashire and Cumbria for our trip.

Travelling south I can only offer the old standards in the Borders such as west Linton, Peebles etc.

Good luck with your search.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive played Southerness and Powfoot once, and enjoyed Powfoot more, even though most seem to prefer the other way round.

Granted, Southerness was in a 30mph plus wind, but still liked Powfoot more.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
@williamalex1 . Did you go on this trip?
Pal is organising a trip to Dumfries next July for a big birthday. Plan to stay in Dumfries and play Powfoot, Lochmaben and Dumfries & County.
No we decided to play Portpatrick Dunskey 18 holes cost £50 including playing their 9 hole course on the same day or the next day.
We stayed at the Swan Inn Stranraer, a great wee pub with entertainment, good food and prices.
Pub was so good we missed out playing the 9 hole course the next day.lol

Smokey Lomcevak

Visit site
Stayed at Dumfries Villa B&B during the summer. Very pleasant. 3 mins walk from the Waverley which is a fairly authentic place to start an evening. Would definitely advise erring towards blue, rather than green, clothing, however…