Cotswolds and Oxon info

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Going to do a mini trip with my regular 4 ball in July. They are all too tight to play big names so I thought get them to Oxfordshire for some value.

Recent info appreciated

I'm thinking Burford. Havent been for years, is it still good? Greens used to be top notch.

Is the Cotswold Country Club what I would have known as Chipping Norton GC? Might stay there if can get a decent deal. Any good these days.

Assume Frilford and Tadmarton still good??

Or Heythrop. Stayed there on the 80s when it was Nat West Training College. What's that like?

Thoughts appreciated!!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cirencester and Cotswold Edge are nice clubs. Cotswold Edge might be a good spot to play on the way from your Gaff

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Frilford is excellent, all 3 courses are, Tadmarton also great but in a different more homely way (always love playing there). Burford has always been good. Further down Studley Wood is a decent track (albeit gets a lot of traffic). Yes Cotswold Country Club is what used to be Chippy, not been there since it changed.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree that Burford is always in good nick, but I always found it a boring course with no standout holes. I would look for more interesting corses to play on your trip, plenty of them around

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Ian, like you, I stayed at Heythrop several times when NatWest owned it. Haven't played there but a friend of mine has and said you really needed a buggy as there are a lot of long walks from greens to the next tee. He thought the course was OK, but it was a few years ago when it had only been open a short while.

My old club Wrag Barn might be worth a look too. Lovely course and continues to be improved year on year.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Agree that Burford is always in good nick, but I always found it a boring course with no standout holes. I would look for more interesting corses to play on your trip, plenty of them around
He he, I suggested similar a few years back and was lynched!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I think generally the area has a number of solid/decent places and it will mainly come down to player preferences.
Frilford is a cut above, but likely only value if playing more than 18 holes. IMO it's strength is in the damper months compared to surrounding courses.

You asked about Heythrop. Apparently the hotel is due to re-open in August. Right now the clubhouse is closed for refurbishment and although the course is fine things are a tad rough around the edges. Maybe check nearer the time.

If your group did come it would likely be memorable. That could be for the interesting holes, design - or it could be for being tired if not used to the walk, and being 'beaten up' if not on your game. You'd likely be fine to play from the white/comp tees if your thing.

In addition to those mentioned could add The Wychwood and maybe Kirtlington. I think @Fragger has had society days at both.

Last edited:

dronfield

Visit site
Going to do a mini trip with my regular 4 ball in July. They are all too tight to play big names so I thought get them to Oxfordshire for some value.

Recent info appreciated

I'm thinking Burford. Havent been for years, is it still good? Greens used to be top notch.

Is the Cotswold Country Club what I would have known as Chipping Norton GC? Might stay there if can get a decent deal. Any good these days.

Assume Frilford and Tadmarton still good??

Or Heythrop. Stayed there on the 80s when it was Nat West Training College. What's that like?

Thoughts appreciated!!

Ian - I worked for NatWest for 34 years and attended a couple of training courses at Heythrop in the late 80s and early 90s. At the time i had only just got into golf so didnt actually play the course - when the Bank owned it was it just 9 holes?
I see the lovely building and grounds are now owned by a hotel group - cant remember exactly when the bank ceased using the site and obviously eventually sold it.
Rich

evemccc

Visit site
My society is playing Burford soon - though I’m not as it clashes with a course I’m playing close to the Surrey / Berkshire border at the end of the month ? — I’ll let you know what’s their general opinion of it

Broadway GC isn’t amazing by any stretch but it’s enjoyable enough and got great views and is in a beautiful area to base yourself

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you want to try something a little different, Cleeve Hill GC near Cheltenham is worth considering.