Southern Ireland golf

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm off to Dublin for a long weekend next year and I'm keen to take in 4 rounds of golf. I'm looking for epic, bucketlist golf rather than proximity to Dublin.

What are your favourites, recommendations, tips? I'm keen for two world famous links and two hidden gems.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm sure you have done your research and are holding back a little, awaiting what others say. Go on, tell us what your favorites are to date

D

Deleted Member 1156

The European is outstanding, Portmarnock is highly rated, I loved the Island. For a slightly lesser but still excellent course look at Portmarnock Links hotel.

Be aware though these courses will all cost you best part of 200 euros each.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm off to Dublin for a long weekend next year and I'm keen to take in 4 rounds of golf. I'm looking for epic, bucketlist golf rather than proximity to Dublin.

What are your favourites, recommendations, tips? I'm keen for two world famous links and two hidden gems.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Dublin isn’t southern Ireland... its about in the middle ;)

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The K club is within 45 mins of Dublin City centre, Druids Glen fairly close as well, my hidden gem would have be Concra Wood, it’s amazing and at €45 a round winter rates its very good value, there is also a great course in Cavan called Farnham Estate, bit further away but a great course than can be played very cheaply, could be wet this time of year though. Rossapenna in Downing’s Co. Donegal is a links dream but an absolute camel hike from Dublin, beautiful part of Ireland though

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Druid’s Glen and Druid’s Heath are both very, very good. Druid’s Glen the best of the two

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ireland and Scotland have both become ridiculously expensive for golf, sadly rich tourists still come and play despite the prices thus keeping the green fees high.

I haven't been golfing in Ireland/Britain for a good number of years now and likewise I couldn't believe the prices when I just checked. I think I paid £65 at Portrush and £45 for Portstewart, Ballyliffen was about £30 as was Castlerock.

Prices are eye watering now.

Some of these courses may as well have a sign at the entrance saying "working class not welcome!"

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your looking for links golf and prepared to pay big money then you won't go wrong with any of the "big names" such as Portmarnock, The Island, The European or just up the road a bit is County Louth, a "hidden gem" is the aforementioned Portmarnock Hotel Links.

If your looking for Parkland then Druids is about as good as it gets along with the K Club and the hidden gem not too far away is Headfort New or as has been mentioned Concra Wood.

Most courses in Ireland (with the exception of most of the "big names") have regular opens and if your a member of a club with an official handicap you will be able to play some of these courses at very reasonable rates.

If it's purely a golf trip your planning and no particular other reason for going to the Dublin area then why not look at a different area of Ireland? The north west coast from Sligo up to Donegal has some of the finest links courses you will play and at a snip of the cost of the Dublin area. Places such as Ballyliffin (2 courses), Rosapenna (2 courses), County Donegal, Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo, County Sligo, Enniscrone and Carne to name a few are all in the top 30 or so courses in Ireland and all can be played at a lot lower costs than the Dublin links courses.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have only played about a third of the top 100 courses in Ireland and NI, but for me Tralee is the best course Ive played in the UK, above Turnberry and Royal County Down.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Entering Opens is a good call... used to go to the south west often, now it’s cheaper to go to blooming Portugal 😀

The South West is very expensive and offer no reductions at all to Irish residents or GUI members. We always have a couple of days away each year and last year I emailed 4 of the well known courses down that way and for the 4 rounds with us all as GUI members and all living in Ireland it was nearly €900 for golf alone. As you say for that money I can get 4 days in Portugal with golf, accommodation & spends.

If you plan well and play in opens you can play some great golf courses for €25-€40 and some hidden gems for even less

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Concrawood is a must ..
Druids Glen a cracker ..
K club has 2good courses including the Ryder Cup course, I prefer the other 1
1hour from Dub south will get u Mount Juliet

Loads of non marquee courses within 45 mins , the heritage , naas , Kilea castle , woodenbridge real hidden gem ..