South Coast of Fife (Neuk??) recommendations

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another one to say dont overlook St Andrews and their 3 day ticket. It's unlimited golf on all their courses except the Old, and its valid for any three days within a 7 day period - doesn't have to be consecutive days. Play the New, Jubilee, and Castle a couple of times each and its an absolute snip.

Lundin & Leven are worth going to. But I'm not sure I'd go back to Elie - partly cost, but its just a bit too quirky and has a damned silly "socks" rule. Burntisland is worth a look but its not links.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Elie is a great track, very quirky but pricey as others have said. All courses mentioned are good, It's also worth considering Ladybank, not links but also very good and a decent test of golf. However, all that said surely a 20 minute trip to St Andrews surely has to be at the front of your mind.[/QUOTE

Agreed Ladybank is a good course and worth playing.

Can't believe that it is a slot below Scotscraig in the top 100 in Scotland, as Ladybank if far superior than Scotscraig.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lundin is a great course, a good mix of holes and very enjoyable.
Also look into Crail( Balcomie ) they do reasonable twilight rates.
The 9 holer at Anstruther is worth a go just for the unbelievably tough and crazy Par three, I think it's called the Rockys.

One of the St Andrews courses is a must.

..And the best Chippy without doubt is the Pittenweem Fish Bar.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm off to Elie in the morning. £40 for the round including coffee and bacon roll. Full greens and no mats. You just need to time it right. I also played Leven Links last week for £25 with probably the best greens I've played all year! St Andrews Eden on Saturday was in great fettle too and good value at £22 for the round.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would stick to St Andrews courses. Lundin Links was in disappointing condition when we played it, and not nearly as good a course as New and Jubilee at St Andrews. Eden is well worth playing, and good value. Always played in October and never played St Andrews courses when not in great condition.

Cromars not as good as chippy at Anstruther. Haddock and chips, proper mug of tea and bread and butter for £8.50.

Ladybank is a lovely course.:thup:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cromars not as good as chippy at Anstruther. Haddock and chips, proper mug of tea and bread and butter for £8.50.

Ladybank is a lovely course.:thup:

I wasn't impressed with Cromers either, very poor.
The Indian over the road is superb though.

Thinking about it....St Andrews is just Heaven for a greedy golfer, spoilt for choice.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't impressed with Cromers either, very poor.
The Indian over the road is superb though.

Thinking about it....St Andrews is just Heaven for a greedy golfer, spoilt for choice.

Maisha's is the best Indian in St Andrews down the lane from The Central Bar, Tailend is class

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for all this.

There was me thinking that anstruther was a little fishing village where they all sat out in the afternoon sorting out their nets and pots..... Our last trip was based in North Berwick, so we'll end up having a slightly skewed view of life North of the border I guess.

Unfortunately, dates are not flexible. So the open at Elie is not an option. Will look to plan something like this into a future jaunt though.

You've talked me into St Andrews, despite intending to go there specifically when our numbers come in. Will stay true to the neuk as well though, and prob do crail and one of the other three depending on offers and budget.

Will report back in 6 months...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just tidying this up as returned last night.

We had a great trip. As those resident north of the border will know, the days we were there (sunday thru wednesday) were pretty much wall-to-wall sun, with only an gentle afternoon sea breeze to rustle the shorts. Slightly cloudy Tuesday afternoon (the horror). I think that the reviews of activities probably reflects this.

We travelled up by train and hired a car in Edinburgh to drive to Anstruther. 4 of us, so not really worth the hassle of doing taxis.

Anstruther was a great base - got a nice airbnb house on the front between the golf course and harbour. The village is big enough to have shops, drink and food, but small enough for a nice fishing village vibe.

Sunday evening - arrived and played 9 holes at Anstruther. Bit of a slog uphill at the first, but thereafter a nice big field on top of the cliffs with fine views. A couple of infamous par 3s. Friendly bar staff and restaurant. £20 for 9 plus £4 for a trolley seemed a bit steep for the track tbh - it was fun enough to play after a day's travel, but pretty basic apart from the aforementioned par 3s.

Monday - drove to St Andrews. Great day. walked around the 1/17/18 area. Took pics, watched a few groups of Yanks (everyone seemed to be American) playing these 3. Pics on the bridge. Then on to the Himalayas before lunch. Afternoon on the Eden course (£50). Really impressed by the front 9 or so which run next to the Old course and then along the Estuary. A bit flatter and less exciting after that, but still good. Course was very firm underfoot. Links lies take a bit of getting used to after a winter/spring playing out of bottomless parkland bogs... The old course seemed pretty busy with people everywhere. Not sure quite how enjoyable I'd have found it, as 2 of our 4 struggled a little with their game.

Tuesday - Crail. Played both Balcomie (am) and Craighead (pm). There had been work on the greens on Craighead, so they kindly let us have that on the nod, so total for the day was £79. Still nailed us £10 a head for push trolleys though. Had fantastic morning weather with barely any wind for the Balcomie. It was beautiful, particularly the front 9 or so along (sometimes over) the shore. An odd 'not quite linksy' vibe. Course in great condition. We Enjoyed Craighead in the afternoon, as we were basically the only people on it, so not so much pressure to keep moving. It's also more forgiving in both layout and turf (which was fluffier) but still had tricky shots into and around the greens. Definitely not links, kind of modern heathland overlooking the sea. The clubhouse was spectacular, with a fantastic picture window over the Balcomie and the sea. Would recommend playing Balcomie early, as we started at 0940, and the course was really filled up with visiting americans by about 11.

Wednesday - Played Ladybank before the drive back to Edinburgh. Got it for a bargain £38 each. Lovely heathland course in fantastic condition. The greens in particular were pure. Made a great contrast to being next to the beach, playing with the scent of pine trees and heather wafting around. Very friendly pro shop and great food (esp club sandwich) in the bar. The only very tiny bugbear was that the visitors' (blue) tees made the course a tad short. Not a problem for a bunch of 50 year olds on the 3rd day of a tour, but maybe an issue for youthful low handicap types.

All-in-all a great trip. It's my second scotland tour in a couple of years (the first based in North Berwick) and both times we have been blessed with extraordinary weather. In those condititions, I can't think of better place in the world to play golf. Maybe the Scots just talk down the weather to keep people away?? The coastal scenery in Scotland is just spectacular, it really is the best place to chop about. I'd encourage anyone from down south who hasn't gone there yet to give it a try.