Parkland Golf -East Lothian or thereabouts.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our annual excursion to the homeland of golf is rapidly approaching. This year we're based in Gullane.

The thing is, whilst two of us are dead keen on links golf (I mean, come on, why wouldn't you be) the other two have yet to be fully persuaded. And for some reason, they prefer parkland courses. So, although we are pretty sure about what we'll play as regards links, we're less sure of parkland tracks. Anyone got any recommendations for that general area? Happy to travel (within reason). Ta in advance.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Longniddry is a possibility. The Glen in North Berwick is not traditional links being up on a plateau above the beach. Spectacular views and reasonable twilight pricing too.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ta, but have played both and not really sure I'd call them "parkland" (although I accept they're not links either). It's "rolling hills, and majestic trees" sort of thing the other two will be after We were wondering if we might need to head into the outskirts of Edinburgh perhaps?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does seem sacrilege to go to East Lothian and then ignore all the great links but if it has to be parkland then you might look at Haddington. Alternatively, go the whole hog and into Edinburgh for either duddingston or mortonhall, both great parkland courses. If you don't want to go all the way into town then maybe newbattle, kingsacre or broomieknowe on the outskirts.

Edit: or maybe royal Musselburgh is worth considering

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does seem sacrilege to go to East Lothian and then ignore all the great links but if it has to be parkland then you might look at Haddington. Alternatively, go the whole hog and into Edinburgh for either duddingston or mortonhall, both great parkland courses. If you don't want to go all the way into town then maybe newbattle, kingsacre or broomieknowe on the outskirts.

Edit: or maybe royal Musselburgh is worth considering
I know, I know...

But we're up for a week and will probably play 10 or 11 rounds, so we can be generous and let them have a couple of goes at a park course.

Thanks all for suggestions - I'll check them out.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Monktonhall in Musselburgh and Royal Musselburgh are the parkland ones I'd recommend - particularly Monktonhall. RM is closer to Gullane though.

West Linton is another lovely course - moorland, so a different experience again. Bit of a trek, but well worth it imo. And if after something truly unique, The Braids is certainly that!

Of the Edinburgh courses, Mortonhall and Duddingston are the stand-out accessible ones imo. Kings Acre is nice enough too.

Sacrilege going to that part of the world and wanting 'parkland'! :rolleyes:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played the Braids last week and it was in great shape for a muni course. The greens were running lovely. Certainly if you get a clear day there can be few courses with finer views around here.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Foxholer;1087096 Sacrilege going to that part of the world and wanting 'parkland'! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE said:
I know - I play with peasants...

To offer a defence for them, it's not that they don't like links golf - they just need their occisional fix of tree lined fairway. Don't worry though, we'll keep them limited to small doses. (Two of us will be happy to stay the whole week within 10 miles of Gullane)

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Duddingston ticks all your boxes. Excellent course layout, mature tree lined fairways, greens in fantastic condition.

Mortonhall is pretty good.

Monktonhall is not bad.

I don't rate royal musselburgh, pretty average track.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haddington is the closest and not a bad parkland course. Was a member here as a kid but quite a lot of changes made to the course, was in good condition when I played it a year or so back.

A bit further out there's Castle Park just past Gifford that was a young course when I was there, not sure what its like now but had some promising holes when I used to play it.

Royal Musselburgh is pretty short and in good condition from my previous experience, not too taxing a round of golf.

Didn't play many if the Edinburgh ones enough to remember them!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Second for Longniddry for me, not just because my Dads the clubmaster ;)

It's not really parkland though, is it? Sort of in between links and parkland so not really the parkland "fix" the OP is looking for.

Duddingston
Mortonhall
Newbattle

In that order, would be my recommendation. Monktonhall (Musselburgh GC) I know is widely admired but I've not had the pleasure yet so can't comment.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all.

Moreton Hall and Duddingston seem to be getting the most recommendations so we'll investigate in more detail. Rest assured, me and one other will ensure that,in an area of prestigious links courses, only minimal parklland will be played.

I note the recommendations for Longniddry - I have very fond recollections of it, as I had my best round ever there about 6 years ago. Was playing off 28 at the time, and had a gross 83 - 13 shots under handicap. Still never had a better gross score.