South Coast of Fife (Neuk??) recommendations

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Morning all,

I am putting together a trip to this area in late May next year.

I've managed to get a place in Anstruther for the 4 of us. Now looking at places to play. We're wanting links (we are parkland only the rest of the year), ideally a mix of costs, not all too expensive.

Have seen references to various leven tracks, Elie and Crail. Any thoughts on order of preference? Some idea of difficulty would be helpful, as don't want 3 days of suffering (one of us is off 18, and not the most reliable game on foreign tracks).

Not interested in going up to the St Andrews area, as hoping to go there when our lottery application eventually comes good.

Many thanks,

d

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crail and Elie are both good tracks (I like both Crail courses) and not too difficult - 18 handicap will be fine. If forced to choose one I’d probably go for Elie but not much in it.

I haven’t played leven or lundin so can’t comment on those.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Plenty of options there, personally I'm not a fan of Crail, plenty of better courses around.

Leven and Lundin are both pretty good, though Lundin does have a loop thats a bit parkland.
I certainly would not rule out St Andrews, its more than the Old course, with The New and the Jubilee must plays and not overly expensive IMO. The Eden might also be worth a look though not played it myself.

I would also have a look at Monifieth, the other side of Dundee. Its an excellent course and well woth playing esp as an introduction to the trip as its pretty forgiving.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just checked the green fees at Elie and I must have read it wrong as I can't quite believe they're charging more than St Andrews New and Jubilee.

Anyway, Crail Balcomie is a good course for average players on a calm day, bordering on easy fun without a wind blowing. There are some spectacular holes that hug the coastline and they have a lovely clubhouse that makes it a good holiday golf destination without being too silly expensive. It has downsides that I agree with but for a fun holiday knock about it can be very memorable.

But really, don't overlook St Andrews. It's a quick and easy drive from Anstruther, the Eden is a better course than Crail in my opinion and at £45 a round I honestly don't think you can get better value.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

As an Englishman travelling to play in scotland, I sometimes think it would be cheaper to take out a country membership at some of these places! I guess they're going for the yankee dollar, but it seems a shame for us poor brits to have to cough full whack... Sadly, as we found out on our trip to East Lothian a couple of years ago, nothing beats the links north of the border...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dont miss the award winning chip shop on the sea front in Anstruther, brilliant fish supper.

One of the reasons I booked there is that there is a decent selection of eateries and drinkeries. Thanks for the tip!

Plus, isn't there a nine holer in the town in case we have a spare couple of hours?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The nine holer in Anstruther shouldn't be over looked. The home town and original club of the long time Wiltshire based pro Ian Bolt.. Great fun and some super holes for not much cash...really enjoyed it. Nipped out ahead of the roll-up and played 9 for about £18? <script src="https://adservice.google.com/adsid/integrator.sync.js?domain=forums.golf-monthly.co.uk"></script><script>processGoogleTokenSync({"newToken":"FBS"},5);</script>(cant remember)

We played Elie in May on a glorious sunny day (while on a St Andrews trip) and were charged about £70 odd.... which on balance was a bit too much, but really enjoyed the course! Great sea views and variety.

Rang Kingsbarns who were asking £240. .eeeek ....thought I'd leave that till next time! Walked some it when visiting the House and Gardens that adjoin it... looked brilliant!

ps the famous Anstruther Chippy is great, also another general restaurant on the harbour side was great too... cant think what it was called though. (locals will help!)

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Elie is a great track, very quirky but pricey as others have said. All courses mentioned are good, It's also worth considering Ladybank, not links but also very good and a decent test of golf. However, all that said surely a 20 minute trip to St Andrews surely has to be at the front of your mind.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree about St Andrews, no need to play the Old if you want to save that for a special occasion but the 3 day ticket covers the New, Jubilee and eden which are all good.

And the chippie in St Andrews is better than the one in Anstruther IMHO ;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you wait a week Elie have an open which is £20 the first saturday in June, Crail Balcomie is very playable and enjoyable for all levels just sitting in the clubhouse looking out the window the view is superb. Lundin Links is class id play there over Leven which is untidy. I'll throw in Scotscraig which is worth a visit.

D

Deleted member 17920

Captainron and myself played Leven Links for £25 with tee off times, bargain at that price.

Drive4show is correct, 3 day ticket for £200 to play the Eden, Jubilee and New is top drawer.

Do a 36 hole day and play St Michaels at Leuchars as well as its very reasonably priced and some holes on the back 9 are just superb.

U

User62651

Shame about Elie's prices, the whole town has turned into a second holiday homes community for the Edinburgh wealthy, busy in summer and weekends, dead inbetween, seems like the golf club has climbed in on the local honey pot of money there.

Anstruther - had a poor experience there, turned up as a pair at this holiday course on a weekend, there was a medal of sorts going on apparently and they made it clear(or unclear) through grunts and non-communication that we couldn't play. One person said we could be fitted in, next said no type thing. No effort to say when we could play. Ended up just leaving as it was very unwelcoming. There was next to no-one on the course too.

I would get to St Andrews as well and get on the Jubilee or Eden or New. Kingsbarns is also linksy and close by, if a tad expensive (unless you can show a Scottish address or something like that) but a memorable course to play and wide open.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If you wait a week Elie have an open which is £20 the first saturday in June, Crail Balcomie is very playable and enjoyable for all levels just sitting in the clubhouse looking out the window the view is superb. Lundin Links is class id play there over Leven which is untidy. I'll throw in Scotscraig which is worth a visit.

100% with you there.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Kingsbarns is also linksy and close by, if a tad expensive (unless you can show a Scottish address or something like that) but a memorable course to play and wide open.

Must be scope for the Scottish folk on here to rent out some ID / Utility Bills for us poor old English/Welsh/Irish visitors so we can get on Kingsbarns without selling a kidney! (Esp if , like me, you're paying a green fee for the wife too!)