So winter is to continue

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The forecasts I'm looking at gives N Devon up to 2 Mar 4-7 degrees which is fine, gordies would be in shirt sleeves.

I have had the misfortune to be on Datmoor in August in the middle of a snow storm.

At 4 to 7 degrees, we've still go the BBQ out, in shorts and t-shirts, if the temp drops to 0 we'll just fold our arms to keep warm.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been keeping an eye of the forecasters and it's looking more and more likely that we are going to get a good dumping of snow and very cold weather for the end of the month and into March. Admittedly I do like the cold and snow, but having just joined a new club I was hoping the forecast was going to be wrong.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I take most forecasts here with a pinch of salt TBH. as for bad weather in March and April, can be plenty of bad weather about into May and there has even been snow before in June. locals have a saying up here. Nea cast a clout till May is oot. which is don't put your winter coat away till may is past;)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take most forecasts here with a pinch of salt TBH. as for bad weather in March and April, can be plenty of bad weather about into May and there has even been snow before in June. locals have a saying up here. Nea cast a clout till May is oot. which is don't put your winter coat away till may is past;)

Very true, I have seen snow in June, didn't last very long but none the less it does happen.

The only reason made this thread was that as golfers we hope that come March the weather is on the up. The days are getting longer and normally with courses drying out getting a round in on your home course and not having to travel to play on the links improves as well.

But the forecasters are saying that we are looking at a significant period of cold weather and a lot of snow something we've not had as an entire country for a good number of years. I know there has been snow down the west, in the south, north at different times and it's been coldish (read very cold if not from Newcastle :D hell I'm still walking the dog on a night time in shorts) but this forecast is saying it's going to get cold enough for me to have to put a long sleeved t-shirt on and maybe fold my arms to keep warm and that it's going to be chilly for a prolonged period.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Very true, I have seen snow in June, didn't last very long but none the less it does happen.

The only reason made this thread was that as golfers we hope that come March the weather is on the up. The days are getting longer and normally with courses drying out getting a round in on your home course and not having to travel to play on the links improves as well.

But the forecasters are saying that we are looking at a significant period of cold weather and a lot of snow something we've not had as an entire country for a good number of years. I know there has been snow down the west, in the south, north at different times and it's been coldish (read very cold if not from Newcastle :D hell I'm still walking the dog on a night time in shorts) but this forecast is saying it's going to get cold enough for me to have to put a long sleeved t-shirt on and maybe fold my arms to keep warm and that it's going to be chilly for a prolonged period.

the last 5 or 6 winters here have been terribly mild and people get used to next no winters, so when you do get one its a shock to the system.

Spare a though, for those poor unfortunates down south having to wear long johns and thermal trousers when its 5 deg or more temp wise;)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Was also told this as a kid, but it doesn't refer to the month of May, it refers to May blossom, more specifically the blossom on the hawthorn. May be different up in the highlands though :p :D

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The weather will be naff until March 15th - that's when I fly to Tampa. It's in the 80s there right now but I know that will drop and the UK will suffer a spring heatwave the minute my plane takes off. :-(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The weather will be naff until March 15th - that's when I fly to Tampa. It's in the 80s there right now but I know that will drop and the UK will suffer a spring heatwave the minute my plane takes off. :-(

Thats soo kind of you thanks... are you going for 6 months by any chance?:rofl:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
well reading the snow watch feeds on twitter and farcebook, there are murmurings of he cold weather returning last two weeks of March and into April. They [The weather people] are saying high pressure is building the same as the last cold period and the computer models are starting to trend towards more cold weather arriving.

Now I like a bit of snow and it was nice to see what was a 'proper' winter for a change, but I really do hope they have it wrong this time, no more snow or frost.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
well reading the snow watch feeds on twitter and farcebook, there are murmurings of he cold weather returning last two weeks of March and into April. They [The weather people] are saying high pressure is building the same as the last cold period and the computer models are starting to trend towards more cold weather arriving.

Now I like a bit of snow and it was nice to see what was a 'proper' winter for a change, but I really do hope they have it wrong this time, no more snow or frost.

Not good. We were open to day but loads of standing water and course sodden throughout. It can't snow in April, that's the start of the season and The Masters is on. Doesn't the snow know the angst and frustration it's causing on here

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Plenty of daffodils out in balmy South Ayrshire.
Someone out cutting their lawn on Friday. Light rain yesterday to freshen things up.
Turnberry looked lovely when I drove past last week.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday, course was OK, obviously wet, but the greens were sodden, wettest i have ever seen them.

Hard to play as you thought they would be very slow but in fact they weren't despite water squelching underfoot.

At least it didn't rain but really need some dry weather and wind for a few days to get back to what it should be like in mid March!