So winter is to continue

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of weeks back the twitter forecasters were saying the computer models were predicting a likely cold snap towards the end of Feb, then the BBC last week started with an explanation of what 'Sudden Stratospheric Warming' was, but there had been nothing from the Met Office until yesterday and now they have the proof that the air above the Artic has risen over 50 degrees, the consequence of which the Met Office say is a weakening of the jet stream, which will allow high pressure to build.

What the Met Office doesn't know yet is where the high pressure area will sit. Out towards the west of Ireland or up over the north east of Scotland. IF it is the former the likelihood is a coldish weather from the near continent, if however it is the latter then we get very cold Siberian winds and very probably heavy snowfall.

Which ever it is it is going to be very cold from mid to late next week and the Met Office is claiming it could well last well into March.

I like snow, but I'm hoping they have it really wrong.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Maybe, if we all blow very hard, we can move the weather a few hundred miles south just so Brian doesn't get homesick....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm really fed up with this now. For one it means no golf for longer and I'm hacked off with that.

Next, I hate the cold. I was chatting to a fellow dog walker this morning and we came to the conclusion that 5c was around our minimum functioning temperature. Below that is just too unpleasant and we have been under that level, allowing for wind chill, for too many weeks now. Realistically it is going to be March before we get above there again based on the current forecasts for up here.

I've had enough, come on Euro millions lottery.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering the met office can’t even get tomorrow’s weather right I take everything they say with a pinch of salt

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
At least we are in for a dry week in the SW by the look of it. Don't mind the cold and it's been to mild for too many years to kill of the pests and bugs

Looking at the snow cast weather feeds on twitter, they are all saying from today it is going to get colder and then next Sunday it's going to get very cold. The maps are showing -6 or lower for most of the country, around the south west into the midlands they were mentioning severe cold down to or below -16 and there was also the talk of heavy snow.

Considering the met office can’t even get tomorrow’s weather right I take everything they say with a pinch of salt

Normally I would agree, but when several different weather feeds, including the BBC and the Met Office are all saying the same thing, I'd saying there is more than a modicum of reality in it. As originally posted I do hope they are wrong, however the flip side to a very cold winter is generally a warmer drier summer/autumn, here's hoping.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So the weather is going to be pretty much like it is every year !!

We can often get wintry showers in March and occasionally in April!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
At least we are in for a dry week in the SW by the look of it. Don't mind the cold and it's been to mild for too many years to kill of the pests and bugs

So the weather is going to be pretty much like it is every year !!

We can often get wintry showers in March and occasionally in April!

True, we do get wintery showers every year, but what the forecasters are talking about is along the lines of the snow and cold of 2010, only much colder. So a little more than the usual wintery showers.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
True, we do get wintery showers every year, but what the forecasters are talking about is along the lines of the snow and cold of 2010, only much colder. So a little more than the usual wintery showers.

The forecasts I'm looking at gives N Devon up to 2 Mar 4-7 degrees which is fine, gordies would be in shirt sleeves.

I have had the misfortune to be on Datmoor in August in the middle of a snow storm.