Smart Motorways!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going to City on Saturday the M1 was the worst I have ever seen it for rain and the rd holding water. Anyway there were 4 cars in the 3rd lane doing 50mph. 2nd lane empty 4th waterlogged. Tashy plods up the 2nd lane doing 55mph * undertaking). Eventually got level with the 1st car who is miles behind the cars in the distance. I looked across and down as am in missis Ts 4x4 and the woman driver is looking down whilst she is txting in conditions.ike that. I couldnt believe it.

Maybe you should have got your phone out and videoed her ...... :unsure: ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not ashamed at all. I use my judgement of the road conditions and situation to know whether that little bit over the limit is safe or not, or whether the limit is too much for the conditions.

You just cannot accept you were speeding and your holier than thou attitude doesn't work.
Own your mistake, and stop trying to find excuses.
St Efanovic , has a nice ring to it don't you think :love:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And , currently, not illegal......shows how good our lawmakers are that they can ban use as a phone but not as a camera or video recorder.....:rolleyes:
I thought that loophole had been plugged now. Scrolling through the screen, videoing, taking pics now illegal just like holding a mobile and using it when driving.
They were talking about in the radio last week, that’s why I thought the loophole had been closed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought that loophole had been plugged now. Scrolling through the screen, videoing, taking pics now illegal just like holding a mobile and using it when driving.
They were talking about in the radio last week, that’s why I thought the loophole had been closed.
Being closed? Not sure they've done it yet but it's on the cards if they haven't.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Going to City on Saturday the M1 was the worst I have ever seen it for rain and the rd holding water. Anyway there were 4 cars in the 3rd lane doing 50mph. 2nd lane empty 4th waterlogged. Tashy plods up the 2nd lane doing 55mph * undertaking). Eventually got level with the 1st car who is miles behind the cars in the distance. I looked across and down as am in missis Ts 4x4 and the woman driver is looking down whilst she is txting in conditions.ike that. I couldnt believe it.

I drove down M1 from Sheffield early Saturday afternoon. The rain and driving conditions between midday and 2pm were dreadful - but there were cars with no lights on, sitting in middle lane(s) crawling along as you describe etc. It was awful.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And even if it was, how can a lorry catching fire be anything to do with whether it's a smart motorway or not?

(Aimed at the original poster rather than your post but works better as a reply to yours).

imagine the kerfuffle if a caravan or motorhome had caught fire

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
M25 earlier had the random number generator going. 70, 40, 60, on consecutive gantries. From the 70 one, you could see the 40, and the 60, so very close together, and the traffic, for once was flowing. On that bit anyway.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then you are clearly above the law. You might not always get away with it.
However, see here:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/revealed-the-true-tolerance-of-speed-cameras/

This highlights the inconsistencies. Some police forces are more generous than others.
You will be unlucky to get caught doing 35mph in a 30.
I was recently talking to a woman who had been on 2 speed awareness courses in the space of 3 years. Both times she was doing 35mph in a 30.
Most forces allow you to do the speed limit + 10% + 2mph. But not all. So she was very unlucky.
Also heard about a guy who spent £30,000 trying to undo his conviction. He failed.

I recently attended a speed awareness course.

At the end we were all asked what we had most taken from the course.
Everybody said the speed demonstration of the difference at driving at 30mph compared to 31mph.

This was done on a test track, with an advanced driver in a family estate car,good tyres and a dry road in clear conditions.
Cardboard boxes were placed at a point on the track. At 30mph, emergency stop saw the car stop about a foot from the boxes. At 31mph, emergency stop saw the car smash through the boxes and was still travelling at 8mph at impact!

The guys taking the course said that for this reason the Police will be tightening up the tolerances in the near future.

With this in mind I wouldn't say, unlucky to be caught doing 35mph, rather, serves you right and accept the consequencies.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some know the 20:80 rule.
If you're driving and you hit someone at 30mph then 80,% of the time they will survive.
If you hit someone at 40mph then 80% of the time they will die.
The knife edge, 50:50 live or die speed is 36mph. Hit someone at 36 and you are quite literally, tossing a coin with their life.

Just something to think about...