Smart Motorways!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cruise control is a marvellous thing. When entering an average speed section of road I just set it and sit.

Until I get a car with adaptive cruise control I prefer the speed limiter , only because I set to the limit and then slow down , speed up.. repeat until end of limit

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now none of you are speeders. None of you have ever exceeded the speed limit either intentionally or unintentionally. You are without sin. For that I will award you all the newly created Order of Stefanovic.
I've been done for speeding in the past, and no....I don't keep to the limits all the time.
However if I get caught it's no-ones else fault other than my own. Own your error, and stop bleating or blaming anything else. You screwed up, accept it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been done for speeding in the past, and no....I don't keep to the limits all the time.
Then you should be ashamed if you deliberately exceed the speed limit, which I have never done (very nearly true).
There is an element of bad luck if you are actually caught, because every motorist does exceed the limit at some time.
Why do they allow vehicles on the road which can go at 200 mph and above? That is crazy. Recently I heard a someone say he'd been a passenger in a car doing 125 mph on the M5.

As for today, guess where the M6 had a delay of 70 minutes at 8 am because of an accident?
Vehicles shunt in the smart section when the speed limit on the screens start to vary. There is no hard shoulder to pull over, only a refuge area every mile.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then you should be ashamed if you deliberately exceed the speed limit, which I have never done (very nearly true).
I'm not ashamed at all. I use my judgement of the road conditions and situation to know whether that little bit over the limit is safe or not, or whether the limit is too much for the conditions.

You just cannot accept you were speeding and your holier than thou attitude doesn't work.
Own your mistake, and stop trying to find excuses.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
If you could wait for a few years then the autonomous vehicles will help enormously, as they will remove the need for drivers to understand the obviously very difficult concept of a smart motorway or for old people to understand mini roundabouts . We can then all waft along at the speed limit happy in the knowledge that we are not renegade law breakers.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
There is an element of bad luck if you are actually caught, because every motorist does exceed the limit at some time.
Why do they allow vehicles on the road which can go at 200 mph and above? That is crazy. Recently I heard a someone say he'd been a passenger in a car doing 125 mph on the M5.

As for today, guess where the M6 had a delay of 70 minutes at 8 am because of an accident?
Vehicles shunt in the smart section when the speed limit on the screens start to vary. There is no hard shoulder to pull over, only a refuge area every mile.

Forgive me father as I have sinned. I did 75 on a motorway the other day as the conditions were clear. I also did 54 for about 10 seconds in some 50 mph roadworks as a 38 tonner was right up my chuff.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Until I get a car with adaptive cruise control I prefer the speed limiter , only because I set to the limit and then slow down , speed up.. repeat until end of limit

Yup - use that when road is busy - more likely to use CC when road is quiet but I just have to keep to the average speed. And watch others whizz past me or get irritated with me when they are stuck behind me when I'm in the inside lane (I'm not that 'bloody-minded' to sit doing the average speed in the middle or outside lane)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Forgive me father as I have sinned. I did 75 on a motorway the other day as the conditions were clear. I also did 54 for about 10 seconds in some 50 mph roadworks as a 38 tonner was right up my chuff.

you're going straight to hell and will suffer an eternity of hot pokers up your backside

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm not ashamed at all. I use my judgement of the road conditions and situation to know whether that little bit over the limit is safe or not, or whether the limit is too much for the conditions.
Then you are clearly above the law. You might not always get away with it.
However, see here:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/revealed-the-true-tolerance-of-speed-cameras/

This highlights the inconsistencies. Some police forces are more generous than others.
You will be unlucky to get caught doing 35mph in a 30.
I was recently talking to a woman who had been on 2 speed awareness courses in the space of 3 years. Both times she was doing 35mph in a 30.
Most forces allow you to do the speed limit + 10% + 2mph. But not all. So she was very unlucky.
Also heard about a guy who spent £30,000 trying to undo his conviction. He failed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then you are clearly above the law. You might not always get away with it.
However, see here:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/revealed-the-true-tolerance-of-speed-cameras/

This highlights the inconsistencies. Some police forces are more generous than others.
You will be unlucky to get caught doing 35mph in a 30.
I was recently talking to a woman who had been on 2 speed awareness courses in the space of 3 years. Both times she was doing 35mph in a 30.
Most forces allow you to do the speed limit + 10% + 2mph. But not all. So she was very unlucky.
Also heard about a guy who spent £30,000 trying to undo his conviction. He failed.
No, I dont consider myself above the law, and I fully accept I might not always get away with it. But then I don't moan when I am caught (once in 34 years).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Going to City on Saturday the M1 was the worst I have ever seen it for rain and the rd holding water. Anyway there were 4 cars in the 3rd lane doing 50mph. 2nd lane empty 4th waterlogged. Tashy plods up the 2nd lane doing 55mph * undertaking). Eventually got level with the 1st car who is miles behind the cars in the distance. I looked across and down as am in missis Ts 4x4 and the woman driver is looking down whilst she is txting in conditions.ike that. I couldnt believe it.