Slow Play on Tour - put on the clock

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A guy wins X$$$$$$$$$$ in a comp, even for some of the minor places, and he might, rarely, get fined $$. He plays at his own pace, in his own comfort zone, which might mean he finishes further up the leader board and, coincidently, he's so infuriating that it costs other player a few shots/places. Him forcing his pace of play is causing other's to lose the thread of their game. Winning that way is immoral.

Shot penalties do equate to fines, albeit in lost prize money, but they also mean a player is less likely to win. And it also means they might struggle to stay in the top 50. I say it should be shot penalties at least.

But I don't know the mechanics of it. If someone is slow over a period of holes would it be a 2 shot penalty. If they are slow over the vast majority of a round would they still only be penalised 2 shots?

Here's a thought; slow play over the first 6 holes, 1 shot penalty. Slow play also includes the second 6 holes, 2 shot penalty. Slow play over 15 of the 18 holes, 3 shot penalty. An average of 3 sets of 6 holes in 4 consecutive competitions, a 1 month ban.

Draconian? Yes it may well be but it will sort out the problem. Don't forget, the vast majority of pro's are playing within the time constraints the tour sets. Why not stamp on a very small minority who are spoiling the game?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played at that level thank you and it rarely got near 4 hours never mind 4-20.
If you allow them 4-15, that is encouraging slow play
I have never in umpteen years of refereeing seen a county or national level stroke play competition where the time par was less than about 4 hours.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a load of stuff that can affect the time for a round (weather/wind for one example).

Rather than a maximum time for a round I'd use the current 40sec 'take a shot' target; this would prevent penalties when play is held up by groups in front or other stuff. The penalty would only come into play after qualifying and the 'cut' being made. Players who made the cut could be informed about the pace of play based upon the actual conditions of the previous two days and an 'official' expected pace for the final two days. Either the referees or playing partners could note the 'offences' on the offender's scorecard.

The players would be monitored and given yellow cards for each transgression, accumulating 3 yellow warrants a red card and a general penalty of 2 shots. Two red cards in the same competition would generate a one tournament ban.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although round times, especially in the Pro game but also it seems at other levels, are longer than they probably should be, it's individual shot times that start to grate on a lot of people. BDC taking 5 hours to play a round in a tournament isn't news, it's slower than it should be but it isn't news.
BDC taking 3 minutes to miss a 10 foot put is big news.
BDC, or anyone for that matter, taking 4 minutes to pace out and hit a 70 yard pitch is news
JB taking days to hit a lay up shot is news.
It's the individual shots taking way longer than is ...
A. Necessary
and
B. Should be allowed
that is antagonising watchers.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a perfectly satisfactory POP process used by the R&A in all their amateur competitions. It is also used by England Golf and many counties.

https://www.randa.org/en/pace-of-play-manual/rules/6-appendices/subrules/8-appendix-h

The European Tour does something very similar.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/european-tour-slow-play-fines-revealed/

European Tour timing.

For threeballs a par 3 should take 11 minutes, a par 4 14 minutes and a par 5 17 minutes.

For twoballs a par 3 should take nine minutes, a par 4 12 minutes and a par 5 14 minutes with time added for tricky holes or long walks.

Otherwise there is a range from four hours 12 minutes to 4:35 for a threeball to complete a round and 3:32 to 3:45 for a two.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Maybe Bryson needs to take a leaf out of Na's book. I recall Na coming out and acknowledging he had a problem and was working on it. Don't follow too closely, expect he isn't a racer but the US fans seem very warm to him these days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today's round will be interesting. You would think that after the scrutiny of the last few days that the tour would have players on a tighter leash today, BDC in particular.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The PGA will not budge, long term until it gets so slow they start losing viewing numbers and even then probably not until they lose advertisers. They may occasionally have a knee jerk reaction to criticism like this situation but as a whole it won't change for a while yet

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The PGA will not budge, long term until it gets so slow they start losing viewing numbers and even then probably not until they lose advertisers. They may occasionally have a knee jerk reaction to criticism like this situation but as a whole it won't change for a while yet

I think (and hope) youre wrong, there is definitely a lot of bad press coming and complaints from some of their own stars, fully expect they release something close season after the Fedex

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think (and hope) youre wrong, there is definitely a lot of bad press coming and complaints from some of their own stars, fully expect they release something close season after the Fedex
I think they will make some formal announcement as a result of the bad press and may even stringently manage it for a few weeks/months but ultimately (bit like when refs get new instructions at the start of a football season) they'll soften their approach and players pace of play will slow down again. Isn't there already stuff about this written into their tour rules and clearly they weren't overly bothered to enforce it until this media storm arrived

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think they will make some formal announcement as a result of the bad press and may even stringently manage it for a few weeks/months but ultimately (bit like when refs get new instructions at the start of a football season) they'll soften their approach and players pace of play will slow down again. Isn't there already stuff about this written into their tour rules and clearly they weren't overly bothered to enforce it until this media storm arrived

I think theres enough momentum now especially from some of their key players that finally they are going to have to start applying their current rules or more likely redefining them with very clear guidelines how they will be penalised.

If I could place a bet that a player will be penalised for slow play the first tour event next season Id have chunks on!