Slow Play on Tour - put on the clock

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think theres enough momentum now especially from some of their key players that finally they are going to have to start applying their current rules or more likely redefining them with very clear guidelines how they will be penalised.

If I could place a bet that a player will be penalised for slow play the first tour event next season Id have chunks on!
And I totally agree with you about applying or redefining the rules but I still think until they lose viewers and revenue from advertisers, once the initial honeymoon period is over where some of the big names and serial offenders are punished, bit by bit I can see it drifting off and not being implemented quite as vigorously

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And I totally agree with you about applying or redefining the rules but I still think until they lose viewers and revenue from advertisers, once the initial honeymoon period is over where some of the big names and serial offenders are punished, bit by bit I can see it drifting off and not being implemented quite as vigorously

lets hope for golfs sake youre wrong :)

D

Deleted member 15344

I think theres enough momentum now especially from some of their key players that finally they are going to have to start applying their current rules or more likely redefining them with very clear guidelines how they will be penalised.

If I could place a bet that a player will be penalised for slow play the first tour event next season Id have chunks on!
I bet it won’t be a high profile player though - it will be some mid level tour pro and then they will say “look we acted against Slow play”

It needs to be done against one of the big name slow players but I will be amazed if they do it

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bet it won’t be a high profile player though - it will be some mid level tour pro and then they will say “look we acted against Slow play”

It needs to be done against one of the big name slow players but I will be amazed if they do it

Again, like Homie, I hope and think youre wrong. Especially after the latest PGA release!

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I could see them change the time to 1 min and then penalise for over that. A compromise of sorts. Give players a touch more time to play their shots but be very clear penalties will follow for slow play.

Only a guess though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
lets hope for golfs sake youre wrong :)
Me too and as I say, they will act initially. It is how long it is monitored for properly that concerns me. To really send positive messages, they have to target the worlds best, act and hand out proper punishments and let it filter down. Again I have concerns that the big names, lets use BCD as an example, will go to the tour behind the scenes and plead that as he's "meticulous" not slow and so being punished unfairly and it's preventing him playing to his full ability. Conversations will be had and bit by bit, these top players will get more and more leeway again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lots of sports/games have time limits..
Basketball for one...many athletics field events have a time limit on things.
There's no reason the PGA can't define a set time limit and if you go over that time, whether you're slow, fast or meticulous, you get a penalty.
It would simply be a change to a set of rules and those rules often change every year or two anyway.
It's just another change for people to get used to.
And if they get docked a shot it won't take them long

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Wah wah wah. What sort of narcissism gives golf viewers the right to demand people playing for their livelihoods should play at a pace they aren’t happy with just because they find it boring?

And as for other professional players whinging about it - well of course they will. They know it will negatively affect their opposition thus making it easier for them to win, at least in the short term. They’ve played with slow players for years at this stage. They know how to adapt to it but still they whinge because it’s all about unleveling the playing field and making slower players lose their ability to be properly prepared.

If you take thirty seconds to hit your ball, fine. Start your routine later and relax in the mean time. That’s easy to do.

If you take ninety seconds and someone insists you do it in forty five, there’s no way to compensate and you’re immediately disadvantaged.

What an absolute joke.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you take ninety seconds and someone insists you do it in forty five, there’s no way to compensate and you’re immediately disadvantaged.

What an absolute joke.
You take 90 seconds so I take 90, then he takes 90, the the next guy takes 90 .... ad nausem. So everyone takes 90. No one is disadvantaged. That's fair isn't it?
Now that is a joke.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wah wah wah. What sort of narcissism gives golf viewers the right to demand people playing for their livelihoods should play at a pace they aren’t happy with just because they find it boring?

And as for other professional players whinging about it - well of course they will. They know it will negatively affect their opposition thus making it easier for them to win, at least in the short term. They’ve played with slow players for years at this stage. They know how to adapt to it but still they whinge because it’s all about unleveling the playing field and making slower players lose their ability to be properly prepared.

If you take thirty seconds to hit your ball, fine. Start your routine later and relax in the mean time. That’s easy to do.

What an absolute joke.

narcissism? are you for real? get in the real world. for wanting golf played at a sensible pace im a narcissist?

ps speed up you sympathiser ;)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

What an absolute joke.

What a strange post. One of the worst I've seen on here in a long time imo.

Of course viewers/consumers have a right to criticise a product and suggest improvements. After all, without viewers the sponsors go away, and without sponsors they're looking for other jobs anyway.

Other pros moan about it because at the very best it's bending competition rules and unsporting, at the worst its cheating.

Some players don't like waiting around, what makes it so easy to change your natural tempo one way but not the other?

Where's the line? Was it OK for Bryson to take 140 seconds over an 8 foot putt?

90 seconds a shot, 60 shots a round (12 tap ins), 3 ball is only 4 1/2 hours so maybe not that bad after all.... Oh wait, they've also got to walk 5 miles too?!!

What an absolute joke.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
narcissism? are you for real? get in the real world. for wanting golf played at a sensible pace im a narcissist?

ps speed up you sympathiser ;)
I don’t play slow. I’m not a professional golfer either.

And yes. It’s narcissism.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
What a strange post. One of the worst I've seen on here in a long time imo.

Of course viewers/consumers have a right to criticise a product and suggest improvements. After all, without viewers the sponsors go away, and without sponsors they're looking for other jobs anyway.

Other pros moan about it because at the very best it's bending competition rules and unsporting, at the worst its cheating.

Some players don't like waiting around, what makes it so easy to change your natural tempo one way but not the other?

Where's the line? Was it OK for Bryson to take 140 seconds over an 8 foot putt?

90 seconds a shot, 60 shots a round (12 tap ins), 3 ball is only 4 1/2 hours so maybe not that bad after all.... Oh wait, they've also got to walk 5 miles too?!!

What an absolute joke.

Nonsense, narcissistic post. It’s their job.

sunshine

Visit site
They will hand out a penalty to some Asian kid to demonstrate they are doing something about it. Top players will continue to do what they want.

I think sometimes a shot demands longer to execute, because it is particularly tricky or unusual, and this is ok (eg Spieth shot from the practice ground during the final round at Birkdale). It's when that becomes the norm for every single shot that the problems arise.