Slow Play - Not worth a punch in the face?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That 4 must be on a par 5 then ?

Wait til he has his disciplinary meeting with the Masonic lodge ?. Pah, Masonic lodge that’s why he got a light sentence. You scratch my back and al give you and extra chocolate flake on yer ice cream next time your passing by your honour.
Oh dear,I assume that you wouldn't give him one -if you had it?...The chocolate flake that is!..What has being a member of a Masonic Lodge-or any other good cause organisation got to do with being a knobhead-don't get it at all+lawyer pleading poverty on his behalf plus the stress of lockdown---is this not still winter season for outside ice-cream vendors???
Old dude should just have shot him(kidding,honestly!!)
Jimbo

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
P.S...know it's wrong thread but watching Dire Straits-Alchemy Tour on Sky Arts-SUPERB band.Knofler has got to be up there as great guitar player/song writer.The Jam coming on next-1980 concert what anice night!!

greenone

Visit site
No idea, I'm guessing it was earlier in the day. We were half an hour late teeing off and there were no obvious gaps in front of us that I could see.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
How about what some clubs do on the scorecard.. put a target time for each hole. Obviously it will vary on the number of players, skill and fitness but at least it's a gentle reminder of the pace of play that you should be aiming for.
Whilst overall time is important I'm generally of the view it's how the round "feels". The good ones are the ones that flow - as you tee up the group in front has just moved out of range, as you approach your tee shot they've just moved off the green - that sort of thing. It's lots of stop-start that generally irritates people.
As Patrick already mentioned course length can be a factor to time (even between different tees) as can other things. My last 3 courses were 6500 (fairly standard layout), 5700 (& compact & easy walking), 6500 (but with several long walks between holes & some elevation changes). A "fast" round at the 3rd is still longer than a "slow" one at the second I reckon.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my daughters course they are playing 2 balls only at 10 minute starts.
Most rounds completed in 2.5 to 3 hours and they are loving it.(y)
Turnberry Ailsa was busy the other week and seemed to be doing the same, most of the players looked like over 50's to seniors age bracket.

D

Deleted member 15344

At my daughters course they are playing 2 balls only at 10 minute starts.
Most rounds completed in 2.5 to 3 hours and they are loving it.(y)
Turnberry Ailsa was busy the other week and seemed to be doing the same, most of the players looked like over 50's to seniors age bracket.

If it’s 10 gaps and 2 balls then it’s not going to be a big membership as that only approx 90-100 people being able to play 18 holes each day unless they have put restrictions on how many times you can play

Now imagine the club has over 500 members - not so great then

And I have no doubt they are enjoying it - it gives the seniors plenty of time to faff around and be as slow as they want in 10 minute 2 balls

I gave up golf 4 years ago because of slow play.
The OAP's were generally quite quick it was the younger overweight lycra clad posers with their electric trollies and various forms of 'apps' who were generally to blame.

Must be different down south because any slow play issues we have seen are all down to the senior players taking there time.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it’s 10 gaps and 2 balls then it’s not going to be a big membership as that only approx 90-100 people being able to play 18 holes each day unless they have put restrictions on how many times you can play

Now imagine the club has over 500 members - not so great then

And I have no doubt they are enjoying it - it gives the seniors plenty of time to faff around and be as slow as they want in 10 minute 2 balls

Must be different down south because any slow play issues we have seen are all down to the senior players taking there time.

As a very rough guide based on my observations

Many Scots seniors have generally been playing from childhood and were brought up in a certain way by their then elders.
Those 'young' players have become old but still passed on the essence of the game to Scots seniors taking up the game later in life.

English golf boomed in the 1990's and many English seniors started playing at a more older age without this support.

BTW the two balls are down to Covid restrictions. Normal rounds at my daughters busy course with well over 500 members are around the 4 hour mark.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely they'd have let the following groups through though :coffee:

???? don’t be silly -they wouldn’t even dare let someone through , that would be a submission of them being slow and holding up the golf course

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
???? don’t be silly -they wouldn’t even dare let someone through , that would be a submission of them being slow and holding up the golf course
Sound like low handicappers to me - they are usually the only ones in my experience who's 'pride' won't allow them to let hackers through not matter how slow they are.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sound like low handicappers to me - they are usually the only ones in my experience who's 'pride' won't allow them to let hackers through not matter how slow they are.

Nope not low handicappers - just slow players regardless of their handicap , people that walk slowly , take their trolley right up to the ball , ignore ready golf

Mainly people who have been playing the game for a long time and still have the attitude that “it’s not a race” “ a one ball doesn’t have standing” “ we are a three ball and you are a fourball so stay behind us” “ I’m out here enjoying time with Fred”

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Nope not low handicappers - just slow players regardless of their handicap , people that walk slowly , take their trolley right up to the ball , ignore ready golf

Mainly people who have been playing the game for a long time and still have the attitude that “it’s not a race” “ a one ball doesn’t have standing” “ we are a three ball and you are a fourball so stay behind us” “ I’m out here enjoying time with Fred”
So not just old people as you posted earlier? - there are people on this thread who've posted that 'It's not a race and I'm out there to have a break from the rest of my life' how about them?

You're right about ready golf and faffing about - applies to all age groups.