Slow play?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just don’t understand the mentality of some golfers .
Why would you want someone waiting on you all the way around.
The same people on the pavement or supermarket isle would just move out the way with a little “sorry” .
But as soon as they put golf shoes on they turn into arrogant morons.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I just don’t understand the mentality of some golfers .
Why would you want someone waiting on you all the way around.
The same people on the pavement or supermarket isle would just move out the way with a little “sorry” .
But as soon as they put golf shoes on they turn into arrogant morons.

Sadly it only takes one group as well to impact on the whole course.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hate the feeling that I've got someone up my backside (oo-er:eek:) so letting them through just makes sense to me and allows me to play at a pace I can enjoy. Seems the ego thing comes into play too much

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slow play is very easily fixed.

1. Shorter course (courses are getting too long)
2. Playing from the appropriate tee for your handicap.
3. Cutting rough under trees and keeping other rough appropriate.

Slow play is 60% the above and 40% behaviour which have been discussed abode.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played today in a pair, 3:30 roughly, not held up anywhere

Played two weeks ago on same course, same pairing same weather, not held up, 2:55

Sometimes it just takes a bit extra time

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm assuming if they were going that slow, there was a few holes gap between them and the group in front?

I really don't understand why you didn't ask nicely to play through.

There is a British trait where folk would rather fume quietly rather than say anything. Not saying that's the case here, but it is quite common.

mister v

Visit site

totally agree about the rough under trees, we had that for years and then a new greenkeeper arrived and chopped it down, your still punished from the trees but at least you can find the ball easily and quickly

D

Deleted Member 1156

What has the length of the course got to do with it? Slow play is about behaviour not how long it takes to get round. You can get round a 5000 yard course in 3 hours, doesn't mean 4.5 hours is slow if the course is 7500 yards long.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Behaviour will always be the hardest thing to fix, fixing courses is an easier way to quicker rounds.
Not everyone wants to play quicker !
They want to play at a reasonable pace and not be held up by inconsiderate players.
It’s the waiting around on the tees and fairways that ruins it for me .
In our comps 4.20 is the norm now for comps at 6500 yd’s thats just to long imo.
But it’s a tough course and I do understand some players find it difficult but it’s the things they can do to move along that gets me I.e. marking cards ,being ready , bag in right place etc.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
four of us went to play a course in practice for a match we have there in a couple of weeks, we were a fourball. There were 2 threeballs in front of us, the first were 3 older chaps, snd the 2nd were 3 younger chaps. Now the first group let the 2nd group through after 4 or 5 holes and by the 8th hole there were holding us up. This continued for the rest of the round which in fairness did take about 3 and a half hours so it wasn't too bad for a fourball.

Afterwards one of the 3 said to me you ladies were playing very quickly, so the question is did they not let us through because we were a fourball or because we were women?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There was clear gaps ahead of us, however, Like I said I wasn't on the clock and when I stopped thinking about it I spent the time doing fun challenges (Putting/chipping etc) and generally catching up.

One thing no one seems to have hit on was what the pro said about 6.5 hours rounds on the local pro circuits!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Rubbish as usual, how is making courses shorts going to speed things up, the same people with still take for ever regardless.

No tree's on our course to what difference does that make, same with Dornoch but people still take 5 hours to get round.

all about attitude and behaviour

Medal today packed course 3 balls in front round in 3.15 of which one of our 3 ball was a 15 handicap

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in the pro shop today, heard a woman arguing with the pro that it wasn't her fault she was late to the tee as no one told her what her tee time was.... she got to the tee with two other ladies ten minutes late (after the pro practically kicked her out) and they proceeded to hold up the rest of the field with their very slow play. What a delightful day it's been. :rolleyes:
Mind you, I played well though, so not a total waste of time.:D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played a match today and every three and four roll up group stood aside and let us through without any prompting or asking from us. We got let off before the start of another big group and from there we were happy to wait on the tee as we realised it was peak time. Around in 3 1/2 hours and we waited on the last three holes once the match was over so probably lost about 20 minutes

JGolfer

Visit site
Played a round alone today took me 4 and a half hours. Was a 3 ball infront of me. Would not let me past even though they where clearly struggling and it was clear I was a lot faster. Finally got past them at the 9th where they stopped for a coffee(4th time of asking). Then was stuck behind a 4 ball who refused to let me through. (Asked again 3 or 4 times refused each time)

Very frustrating. There are some short par 4s on the course I was playing. Both groups would wait till the group infront had left the green then proceed to hit the ball 200 yards off the tee or fat it. I was playing nice but must admit I did fire some drives up their around 250 yards to give them alittle heads up and to try and entice them to allow me through.

Spoke to the pro afterwards and he seemed to just a accept that was the norm.

Municipal courses for you I guess.

Bright side I shot a 79 so was quite happy with that.