Beginner looking for a club in 2020.

Diamond

Visit site
New to the sport and had 6 lessons which finished in September. Living in Warrington and working near Manchester Airport has made me concentrate on clubs situated between the two but I have played some courses further afield. So far I have had a knock at Dunham Forest, Lymm, High Legh, Walton Hall, Poulton, Antrobus, Wigan (Blackrod) and Warrington. I am also going to play Leigh (Culcheth) next week and Mottram Hall (close to work but a fair drive from home).
Having finished my golf lessons in September the drainage of a course is very important to me due to the weather being very wet in the last 2 months and I have seen all ththe courses at their worst. It’s actually a good thing as I intend to play every Sunday throughout the year so I want my money’s worth.
Based on whether I like the course, distance from home, course drainage and the quality of the club house The Warrington Golf Club is top of my list but there is a waiting list.
This leaves me undecided on where to join in 2020 between Lymm, based on a very enjoyable 12 holes back in September (nice pint of Wainwright’s), and Poulton which is very reasonable, friendly and the closest course to where I live. Also Competitions I believe are a Sunday which also suits me.
I will obviously be open minded when I play the course at Leigh next week as it is only 15 minutes away as well. Mottram Hall I have been told is again an excellent course but it is that little bit further from home.

Hopefully I am on the right track with my thought process and if anyone has any advice happy to hear it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Couple on here play at Lynn which I really enjoyed when I played it a couple of years back

Nice clubhouse too, unsure about facilities etc but I'm sure the members will fill you in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Don't underestimate the importance of being close to the course you join. Travelling an excessive distance cn quickly become wearing. May be more pertinent down south, where the traffic can be a nightmare, but if you intend to make best use of the club including using the practice facilities & the social side, living close is an important factor to consider.

Diamond

Visit site
Don't underestimate the importance of being close to the course you join. Travelling an excessive distance cn quickly become wearing. May be more pertinent down south, where the traffic can be a nightmare, but if you intend to make best use of the club including using the practice facilities & the social side, living close is an important factor to consider.

This maybe more important to me as I intend to play after work in the summer and the M56 and M6 can be like a traffic jam at times. Also socially it means I can have an hour in the clubhouse afterwards. Again if I am paying a lot of money on membership I want to join a club where I actually want to use their facilities. If it is a cheaper membership this is less important at least for me.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mottram may be harder to get on at times, due to it being a hotel course and them having lots of visitors and corporate days.

Lymm is good, as is Warrington but only played Dunham once but enjoyed it and as it is one of the members of the Jewish assoc, you will get some good reciprocals - always check out a course's reciprocals, can be a real boon.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Warrington has a joining fee of £1000. Lymm has a trial period of 3 months for £100 for people new to golf. Warrington is a very enjoyable course and perhaps you need to check when the Comps. are at both.

Not sure of your age but many clubs offer a sliding scale of fees up to age 30

Diamond

Visit site
Mottram may be harder to get on at times, due to it being a hotel course and them having lots of visitors and corporate days.

Lymm is good, as is Warrington but only played Dunham once but enjoyed it and as it is one of the members of the Jewish assoc, you will get some good reciprocals - always check out a course's reciprocals, can be a real boon.

Dunham was excellent but the £2k yearly subscription is just a little high for me.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am sure our kid (junior on here) will take you around Lymm again. The trial scheme is really good. I was a member there for several years. Great course and members. It is as good as you will get in south Warrington.
I moved across Warrington and now play at play at Blundells Hill now. Google it and see how far you are away. Happy to arrange a game there if you want. It’s open most of the winter and pretty much always on full tees and greens. Comps are always on Sundays as well.
Your other option is Birchwood. Quirky course, but a decent members club. Poulton is only 9 holes, but I believe is very popular at the minute.
DM me if you fancy a game!

Diamond

Visit site
Warrington has a joining fee of £1000. Lymm has a trial period of 3 months for £100 for people new to golf. Warrington is a very enjoyable course and perhaps you need to check when the Comps. are at both.

Not sure of your age but many clubs offer a sliding scale of fees up to age 30

That's a good point about comps. Most are split weekends but board comps mainly Saturday.

Diamond

Visit site
Am sure our kid (junior on here) will take you around Lymm again. The trial scheme is really good. I was a member there for several years. Great course and members. It is as good as you will get in south Warrington.
I moved across Warrington and now play at play at Blundells Hill now. Google it and see how far you are away. Happy to arrange a game there if you want. It’s open most of the winter and pretty much always on full tees and greens. Comps are always on Sundays as well.
Your other option is Birchwood. Quirky course, but a decent members club. Poulton is only 9 holes, but I believe is very popular at the minute.
DM me if you fancy a game!

Blundells Hill is just the wrong side of Warrignton for me. I have been told it is a smashing course so I may try it next year.
Poulton is closest for me and cheapest and comps on a Sunday so a good option.
I enjoyed the 12 I played at Lymm and handy for diving off the M56 after work in the summer.
I haven't played Birchwood due to it being closed or waterlogged. I believe it is a good course though.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blundells Hill is just the wrong side of Warrignton for me. I have been told it is a smashing course so I may try it next year.
Poulton is closest for me and cheapest and comps on a Sunday so a good option.
I enjoyed the 12 I played at Lymm and handy for diving off the M56 after work in the summer.
I haven't played Birchwood due to it being closed or waterlogged. I believe it is a good course though.

Let me know if I fancy a game sometime...

Guess it depends on what you want/need. Practice facilities at poulton park are also good. Lymm is obviously the more established course and the members are great, but Poulton is great value for money!

Diamond

Visit site
Let me know if I fancy a game sometime...

Guess it depends on what you want/need. Practice facilities at poulton park are also good. Lymm is obviously the more established course and the members are great, but Poulton is great value for money![/QUOTE

Based on price Poulton looks great and I could even get a winter membership at Dunham next winter as well for same price as most courses.

Diamond

Visit site
Well after 6 lessons between July and September, a further 2 in January and having played 13 different courses in 4 months (over winter). I have finally become a member of a club today. Hopefully I will be able to get a card in on Sunday signed and get may handicap for the end of February Ready for the club competitions. I may even book Monday off so I can get another card signed.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well after 6 lessons between July and September, a further 2 in January and having played 13 different courses in 4 months (over winter). I have finally become a member of a club today. Hopefully I will be able to get a card in on Sunday signed and get may handicap for the end of February Ready for the club competitions. I may even book Monday off so I can get another card signed.

I can see the madness in your eyes..... #heshooked.;)

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Did you join Poulton?

Diamond

Visit site
Hi Karl. No I was very close to joining Poulton but I joined Leigh GC. It ticked more boxes that was all and still only 15 minutes from home. The pro at Poulton has been very helpful and I will return for lessons in the future.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Karl. No I was very close to joining Poulton but I joined Leigh GC. It ticked more boxes that was all and still only 15 minutes from home. The pro at Poulton has been very helpful and I will return for lessons in the future.

Great stuff ??? Have you been to see Phil archer at poulton? He’s top!
I really like Leigh. Nice clubhouse and a good course. Steady and straight wins the race around there all day long!!

Diamond

Visit site
Great stuff ??? Have you been to see Phil archer at poulton? He’s top!
I really like Leigh. Nice clubhouse and a good course. Steady and straight wins the race around there all day long!!

I know Phil is at Poulton and I have heard good things. I have to say Alex the young pro has been brilliant with me and for novices to the sport like me I highly recommend him. My friend plays off 10 and had a lesson with a Alex and is now off 8 after a few tweaks.