Slow Play - Not worth a punch in the face?

Boomy

Visit site
Obviously it’s only a tiny article in the paper, so much of the story is probably missing but... I wonder if they politely asked to play though? Or if there had been more comments/abuse exchanged prior to the punch. Either way there’s no excuse for punching anyone - it’s only a game! 1168F88C-4604-4FD5-9417-263EE6841A71.jpeg

Grizzly

Visit site
Wow, thats pretty extreme. I was tempted to exchange some frank views when we suffered a 5 hour 30 round stuck behind a society group that lost the rest of their society by four full holes at Pyrford Last Year but...no, there is no reason for that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep and the slowest game at our place on a Saturday morning are a group in their 20s, all really good players, but take ages plumb-bobbing, aim-pointing and goodness knows what else! :)

Takes all sorts!
...not forgetting the obsessives of any age who meticulously point and re-point the line on their ball at a point on the green or in the distance that they have guessed...:rolleyes:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I played our front nine as a single this morning in about 1hour 15mins, could have played quicker but next tee time was half an hour after me - two guys, who must have been at least late 60s and more probably 70s - they caught up at least a hole on me - I reckon they'd have played front nine in an hour and I've seen them and other old boys play that quick before in the early morning at our place.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
my dad's group of 3, 2 x 70+ 1 late 60s will play 18 holes in 3 hours.

Some older people are horribly slow, and won't let anybody through, and moan about everything. A lot of them are very quick

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You know what these old boys are like. 100 yards down the middle, another 100 yards down the middle, pick ball up.

"Stick me down for a 4"

Have you played there? It is quite a short course. If you go off piste, you are searching hard for your ball.. Especially in autumn. Many trees and many, many leaves.
There is more potential for delays than on normal length courses.
Being seventy on such a course won't slow you down.And being 100 yards straight will see you doing a good speed.?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guy is a ned, simple as that. Hope he gets a healthy ban from playing on any golf course.

Less of the ageist comments please.? There is a guy at my club in his early 80s. I defy anybody on here to keep up with him. Spoke to him at the weekend. He got off first on his own and went round in just over 2 hours. Plays off about 15.

Boomy

Visit site

I can’t help but think that instead of muttering and twittering comments for 11 holes, if it was really that slow then why didnt they just ask politely, to play through ?

Also I’m not sure why they imposed a 7pm to 7am curfew ? Was this in case the guy had now became a serial pensioner beater, prowling the streets (or golf courses) in the wee small hours looking for pensioners to punch!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ban PSR's and DMD's for anyone above Category 1 golfers.

For me these two things make me quicker.

We need more education, signage and acceptance of letting groups play through and when to do it.

Other than that it’s about wider tee times spacing, appropriately lengthen courses and cutting rough appropriately. Courses don’t need to be long and hard to be good.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you feel the need to punch someone over golf then you deserve a kicking yourself. Slow play is frustrating, but a polite, can we play through would have sufficed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You know what these old boys are like. 100 yards down the middle, another 100 yards down the middle, pick ball up.

"Stick me down for a 4"
That 4 must be on a par 5 then ?

Wait til he has his disciplinary meeting with the Masonic lodge ?. Pah, Masonic lodge that’s why he got a light sentence. You scratch my back and al give you and extra chocolate flake on yer ice cream next time your passing by your honour.