Slow Play - Not worth a punch in the face?

Boomy

Visit site
That curfew will hit him really hard..... :rolleyes:

Loving the pace of play chat; anyone that counts speed as a badge of honour is as bad as a slow coach! Well, not quite, but they are when they insist a round should be fast regardless of how many groups are on a course.

Agreed, somewhere in the middle is a good pace! Hate being rushed, and especially when it’s unnecessary. If I’m behind a slower group I just enjoy the fresh air and scenery and if an opportunity to play through arises then so be it.

We had 2 guys at a previous club I was at who played every Saturday morning and flew round the course, insisting on playing through, hitting up to you with drives, and just generally rushing the game... guaranteed every time we got in the clubhouse after our round they would be sat with beers and big smiles. After a particularly close shave with one of their ‘hurry up drives’ at me I challenged them and was told it’s all about a game of golf then an afternoon on the beers ? I pointed out it appeared to be more about getting back for beers than golf as they never putted out and can’t of been enjoying the running around the course! We just waved them through whenever we seen them, less stress that way.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I am disappointed the fine wasn't bigger. Punching anyone, especially a pensioner, should carry a fine way higher than that.

Totally agree with this .I wonder if he did this out side of the course and he punched a pensioner what his sentence would be ?
I hope he gets a substantial ban from the course\club .I also wonder how his partners feel ? they should be ashamed to know him, and i hope they thing twice about playing with this
idiot again.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I played our front nine as a single this morning in about 1hour 15mins, could have played quicker but next tee time was half an hour after me - two guys, who must have been at least late 60s and more probably 70s - they caught up at least a hole on me - I reckon they'd have played front nine in an hour and I've seen them and other old boys play that quick before in the early morning at our place.

Flipping this on it's head, I get equally frustrated with people who feel they have to rush around the course as fast as they can and moan if they don't get round in less than 2.5 hours etc. Golf is a difficult technical game and I think it's perfectly acceptable to be allowed to think for a moment about what shot you want to hit and go through a PSR. Within reason of course. For a lot of us this is some me time away from the pressures and strains of work and family life, relax and enjoy your time on the course.

Boomy

Visit site
Flipping this on it's head, I get equally frustrated with people who feel they have to rush around the course as fast as they can and moan if they don't get round in less than 2.5 hours etc. Golf is a difficult technical game and I think it's perfectly acceptable to be allowed to think for a moment about what shot you want to hit and go through a PSR. Within reason of course. For a lot of us this is some me time away from the pressures and strains of work and family life, relax and enjoy your time on the course.

100% agree with this. Like with most things it’s about balance.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I think the assault is less about slow golf play and more about general anger management issues by the perpetrator. Happened at a golf course, but for something relatively minor in the global scheme of things to set him off, same guy could have been triggered to assault anybody anywhere.

But separately, reading all the threads about slow play and doing some idle google search, I came across this company https://www.tagmarshal.com/. I'm sure there are others.

I have no idea about the specifics of this company or the cost, but how come the concept and technology in general is not more widespread? People complain about pace of play all the time - but stories are always anecdotal. Why not use modern technology and data to actually find out the scale of the issue and what may be causing it - and then individual courses can come up with tailored solutions to improve their specific golf experience. Slow play is probably for multitude of reasons, and differ from club to club. Maybe specific players, maybe specific combination of players, maybe too many at the same time and not spaced out, maybe particular holes causing a problem.

We seem to be ok turning roads into smart motorways. Wouldn't it make sense to make golf courses smart too? Was just wondering what smarter people than me who are in charge of the game are planning on slow play (besides noting the problem).
Of course, in the professional game, I think the easiest tech solution is to provide some cheap stopwatches for the marshalls and rules officials.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is that a euphemism? ?

Rosecott has posted a link where there is more info on the court case itself. It mentions the Masonic lodge. Why that is a factor, why it was ever brought up is beyond me. But the Masonic lodge is wheels within wheels. The Masonic judge ? has given the Masonic ice cream ? seller a slap on the wrist for an extra flake ?
Rosecotts link was very informative which shows the ice cream seller to be a real tit.
what I found funny was in court his solicitor says he has really struggled through the Covid pandemic. Yup he is not the only one. His business selling lollies has struggled. So rather than smacking someone. Shouldn’t he be selling lollies, and if his business is shut coz of Covid, why is he in a rush to finish the round quick.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with this .I wonder if he did this out side of the course and he punched a pensioner what his sentence would be ?
I hope he gets a substantial ban from the course\club .I also wonder how his partners feel ? they should be ashamed to know him, and i hope they thing twice about playing with this
idiot again.
Anyone who did that at my club would be out the door.
Violence is never the answer.
I think he would have a few members to deal with as well, hitting someone 30 yrs your senior is just not on for a forty year old.