Slow play Hurts Your Scoring

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s not slow play which really causes me issues with scoring. It’s the inconsistent pace of stop/start rounds where pace of play varies between quick and a snail’s pace.

I’d rather the pace was either steady or slow all the way round. Inconsistent pace messes with my rhythm.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. Get a move on. Using the tried and tested forum method of proving a thing is true using one data point. My best round this year was played in 2:22 and 40 seconds. It would have been much faster, probably under 2 hours, if I wasn’t waiting so much on the from 9. That was from the back tees me holing out every hole.
Ever considered 'cause and effect'? Played faster because you were scoring better!
Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics strikes again!

Boomy

Visit site
I think Billyboots nailed it for me too - I’m not that precious about pace of play as long as it is consistent, keep it steady *whatever* the pace is with no damn stop/starting, standing on tees and second shots - keep it moving.

It’s a balance between people flying around unrealistically quick and people faffing on as if they’re pro’s or just dithering with no awareness or consideration for pace of play. If we get speedy gonzalez, road runner and pals behind we try to let them through asap.. It can be torturous when you as a group are keeping up with the pace of play and on for a 3:30/40 (medal/competition round) but the group behind are firing shots right up behind you and standing staring, arms folded as if it’s our fault we are stopping them getting to the bar… every club has them! I think some folk would enjoy their day better if they just skipped golf and sat in the bar… rushing around a golf course complaining that anything over 2.5 hours is too slow but then spending 3.5 hours sat in the bar ? hmmmmm I’m there, like the majority are to enjoy a game of golf.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are so many issues with this and the stats, I just found it laughable.
Without knowing how the study was conducted we can't really guess at the validity of it's findings.
However there was a study on the European tour that found that how long you took to play your shot had a significantly detrimental outcome on your earnings potential. The actual premise that slow play can negatively affect your score is not absurd.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Without knowing how the study was conducted we can't really guess at the validity of it's findings.
However there was a study on the European tour that found that how long you took to play your shot had a significantly detrimental outcome on your earnings potential. The actual premise that slow play can negatively affect your score is not absurd.
Or, perhaps, that when Pros are not having good results (thus earning less) they take more time over shots!
I'd certainly challenge the 'study' you mention. If that really was the case, the top players would be quick players and lower players would be slow ones. That's clearly, to me, not the case - it seems mixed.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Or, perhaps, that when Pros are not having good results (thus earning less) they take more time over shots!
I'd certainly challenge the 'study' you mention. If that really was the case, the top players would be quick players and lower players would be slow ones. That's clearly, to me, not the case - it seems mixed.
Observational studies by their nature can only look at associations and not determine causation or direction of causation.
At a quick look the study looks as if it was fairly well conducted and the fact that the worst effect of slow play was seen in putting suggests that it is certainly plausible that it is the slow play causing the poor performance rather than the other way round, though one cannot be sure I agree.
Here is a summary of the study
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337563230_The_RSM_Player_Performance_Study

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not slow play which really causes me issues with scoring. It’s the inconsistent pace of stop/start rounds where pace of play varies between quick and a snail’s pace.

I’d rather the pace was either steady or slow all the way round. Inconsistent pace messes with my rhythm.
This is me to.!
I have found the three minute search time counter productive.
Players think three mins isn’t long enough so have a quick search but when we get to the tee they decide to play their provisional.
But all four are out of position and take time to play their shots.
Five mins was better imo as they had time to look why we played through.
Nobody has let us through since this time limit has changed.
Just one of many slow play problems .
I have deffo found in the last ten years the game has really slowed down.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I think Billyboots nailed it for me too - I’m not that precious about pace of play as long as it is consistent, keep it steady *whatever* the pace is with no damn stop/starting, standing on tees and second shots - keep it moving.
I love to get a move on so try where possible to be first out in any draw.

However yes, not having to stand about is the best, once you stop/start, you can guarantee your round is in the shitter

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site