Slow play Hurts Your Scoring

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slow is slow, it's not subjective, there's a clock that tells you the time. Pretty simple really
It is subjective. The clock is only useful if the time is relative to something else. Nobody thinks they are slow. Everyone plays at a pace at which they are comfortable. But the faster golfers adopt a condescending view that their perspective is the 'correct' one, and others, being slower are incorrect and a problem.

Anyway, you were missing my point - that it isnt as such the time it takes to play a round that governs people's views of slow play by those ahead of them - its whether they were waiting or not.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how fast or slow they should play.
The only way this can be resolved in my opinion is for the sprinters to go out first and the more deliberate players out last.
Never the twain shall meet

A wonderful idea if only golf was the only thing people had to do on any given day.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
All I know is that if I have to wait to play shots I may as well walk in. I want to be able to walk up to my ball and play the shot . We had a 4 hour round recently and words were exchanged with the group in front of us in the carpark as they were 3 holes behind the group infront of them. I was told we weren't let through as we were over 180 yds behind them. My response was that's a soft 6 iron.
I hope you replied, "well, you were over 600 yards behind the group in front, which is a hell of a longer way than 180!"... ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ok so what other reasons do the faster runners start in front of the slower runners?
Safety and fairness are 2.
And FWIW, a marathon IS a race. A round of Golf IS NOT a race. Though that doesn't mean 'slow play' should be tolerated.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a number of habitual dawdlers within our roll up groups, hence a direct consequence on the pace of play for the people I play with. We have tried politeness, directness and everything between but as some have said, skin of a rhino and to no avail. They are slow in comps as well which has a greater effect on the whole field and I know some have written in but the club seem to bury their collective heads. In general terms, most members consider 4 hours to be an acceptable length of time and in most cases including comps we achieve that give or ten five or ten minutes either way. Is there really any way we are going to change such ingrained habits?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having had the time to check the above, I notice, from the summary, that the results only relate to 'time adddressing the ball' - even though pre shot routine was timed as well! So not a complete summary! I'd like to know why that measurement was excluded, though suspect (it was because) there was no corellation!
And FWIW, it didn't take long for the thread to morph into a discussion of slow play rather than the study!