Slow play Hurts Your Scoring

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
That's the whole problem, some people want to go round in 3hrs 15 or even less whereas there are a few who like taking 5 hours.
The only way you can keep them all happy is to have the faster players out first.
This would also have the knock on affect of hurrying along the chasing groups to not fall a hole behind. If you have the slower players out first, there will be no gaps as everyone slows down to the pace set by the first groups.
But that doesn't keep everyone happy. What about these "slow" players who want or need to play early, or the "fast" players who want or need to play late? Your system isn't fair to them.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
However, if someone expects me to go round with them in a fourball in 3 hours 15 minutes, then they can jog right on! Which they probably do if playing golf that quickly!

You've played golf with me numerous times Simon. You know I don't "race" around, but neither do I like hanging about. When it's my turn to play, I'll be ready. I like a laugh and a joke, and a bit of banter.
I consider myself a fairly quick player, but don't deliberately race around.
A 4 hour round is easily achievable, and as a 3 ball out in front at Cooden my group can usually pull 3 or 4 holes ahead of the group behind us.
Not done deliberately, but save time where time can be saved.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
one out there for smithy and potentially other organisers.

Do you think if you actually asked players before grouping if they consider themselves to swift, average or casually paced golfers it would be better received and more honest?

Being called slow is quite strong, being called something else indicating the same May be more effective?

When I used to arrange away days, from a typical 30 there were 5 that were notoriously slow and around the same who were quick. I would always split the super quick ones and likewise the turtles.

Groups would generally be one fast, one slow, two average. I would also try and not have too many sprayers in the same group or those who take ages on putts. Harder to work the groups but all days were grouped with the same ethos and the groups stayed pretty tight.

Someone did bitch once and I was honest about my ethos, he asked which category he fell into and then pissed himself laughing admitting he “ knows he’s not the quickest “

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally I find that theres often one slow player in a 3 or 4 ball isn't a problem. One of my regular group is much slower than the rest but we dont play to his pace wherever possible. His view is that he isn't going to run round on a Sunday morning, it's his hobby and relaxation. We dont wait if he's last on the tee, we walk as soon as he's seen his shot go and he's a decent length player, and often not first to play next. He takes his time, particularly chipping and putting, but is pretty good at both and whilst he takes more time he makes up for it with less shots.

So, sometimes slower players can be "managed"

NearHull

Visit site
i think the biggest issue is defining ‘slow play’. The real problem is differing playing speeds. If everyone plays at the same pace, it is irrelevant how long the round takes. We try to address the visible impact of a slower group of falling behind by positively promoting the following Club Bye Law. We have also published a Pace of Play Guide mainly taken from EG.

Bye Law C5. The club has published guidelines on slow play and course etiquette which requires ALL players to take responsibility for the pace of play, showing courtesy and respect to fellow members and knowing their position relative to others on the course. All players are expected to comply with those guidelines, play at a prompt pace, adopting Ready Golf principles if appropriate, keeping up with the group in front on the course (not just ahead of the group behind) . At all times a group losing one clear hole on the group ahead MUST invite the following match to go through, to not do so is a clear breach of course etiquette.
However there can be deviation from this norm. If a group playing a match in a Club knockout competition and faster moving group playing casual golf catches them up, the slower group may keep their place if it is clear that if they let the faster group through they would not be able to complete their match due to failing light.responsibility for the pace of play, showing courtesy and respect to fellow members and knowing their position relative to others on the course.

Members do report instances when a group falls behind - generally a hole +, but they will also challenge the ‘slower’ group on the course - the evidence is visible and objective thereby removing the subjective (and often controversial) description of slow play.

The Bye Law and the Pace of Play Guide on their own do not solve the problem, but Handicap and Competitions Committee do hand out warnings for breach of the Bye Law. To date we have not had to repeat a warning.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The only way you can keep them all happy is to have the faster players out first.
This would also have the knock on affect of hurrying along the chasing groups to not fall a hole behind...
This worked at a previous club.
A group of a dozen - all at/around single figures - were always out first and were only there for their Saturday morning golf and a quick drink after. Most members never saw them.

Albo

Visit site
The problem with a system like that is you need to know why the group has taken 10/15 minutes longer than they should....a lost ball adds 3 minutes each time...have 5 in a 4 ball per round and there's your 15 minutes ..they're not necessarily being slow, they may not even be holding up the group behind if they're having the same problems..
Just saying " you're 15 minutes late" is blunt force trauma...
And what about the group behind the group that's 16 minutes over time..?
They'll likely be over time too but it's not their fault...
Thats a fair couple of points, the groups behind i'd suggest would not be punished.

Or start to punish people who are a hole behind and don't let people through, have an open and honest policy, if someone comes in a hole.behind the group in front, ask the group behind if they felt held up/asked and were not let through and sort it out that way.

No issue with slow play if people would let other.groups through when a hole or so behind (not a whole par5). There are ways of improving the situation

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Even the concept of 'falling behind' the group ahead us very problematic though. It defines the quickest pace of play as the 'correct' pace, without any grounds. Effectively it's a rule coloured by the views of the (in their own minds anyway) quicker players

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
one out there for smithy and potentially other organisers.

Do you think if you actually asked players before grouping if they consider themselves to swift, average or casually paced golfers it would be better received and more honest?

Being called slow is quite strong, being called something else indicating the same May be more effective?

When I used to arrange away days, from a typical 30 there were 5 that were notoriously slow and around the same who were quick. I would always split the super quick ones and likewise the turtles.

Groups would generally be one fast, one slow, two average. I would also try and not have too many sprayers in the same group or those who take ages on putts. Harder to work the groups but all days were grouped with the same ethos and the groups stayed pretty tight.

Someone did bitch once and I was honest about my ethos, he asked which category he fell into and then pissed himself laughing admitting he “ knows he’s not the quickest “
I can GUARANTEE that if I asked 36 players how they rated themselves speed wise, four or five would say "pretty quick" the rest would say "average". Even the slowest tosspot there wouldn't admit to being slow..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What do you propose when either group can’t play in your prescribed speed slots?

Tell a sprinter he can tee off at 07.30 and be home by 11.30, I think most would, if they could, change their plans. Similar to slow players...tell them they can tee off first but they will be expected to go round in 3hrs 30mins. They'd hate it and soon change their plans and tee off later.
One thing is for sure, if clubs don't try something different, nothing will change.
Just telling everyone to play at a certain time (decided by who?) is in my opinion a mistake.

No issue with slow play if people would let other groups through when a hole or so behind (not a whole par5).

The problem with that is it takes time and would only add to the length of time a slow group would take.

I'm not suggesting all clubs should implement this idea tomorrow and use it for ever more, I'm saying if some clubs try it and it is a success, it could spread to other clubs. It might even attract new members.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I dont get why this has to be hard to figure out.
If a course says, a round at our course should take no more than 3h30 (for example) for a 4 ball, 3h15 for a 3 ball, 3h for a 2 ball. Everyone knows the expextations, of each group is then timed going round and one found to be slower by more than 10 mins, that group gets a warning each of the players in that group, 3 warnings for any particular player sees you reatricted to afternoon tee times for a month. That should keep pace of play up to the courses set standard.

As has been said in this thread, slow is subjective, but not if the course states what slow is and actually does something about it.

I'm aware this is unlikely to happen

How many courses do you reckon currently set a reasonably accurate estimated time for a round?
(& then communicate that time to the players each day)

Edit : for that matter, how many forum members expectations of time to play a round actually matches what the course stipulates on that day!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seriously? You just ignored the requirement to have a booking system in place?
We had a booking system when we had to due to covid....that requirement has been gone in England since June/July last year.
Our Constitution states that we are a no booking club except at certain times so we reverted to the norm as soon as we could..
No rules broken..

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We had a booking system when we had to due to covid....that requirement has been gone in England since June/July last year.
Our Constitution states that we are a no booking club except at certain times so we reverted to the norm as soon as we could..
No rules broken..
Blimey. So having brought in booking you threw it away? We were a rock up club as well, it was very quickly evident how much better booking was, we will never go back now. We've had one complaint, from a guy in his 70s who refuses to use the internet, doesn't even have an email address or mobile phone. But that's it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Every club has a booking system now thanks to Covid regs.

Not strictly true - a number of clubs removed it when the requirement to book was removed

a booking system will help the pace of play a little

Every club will have pace of play issues at some stage and unless you have an on course marshall everywhere there isn’t much you can to stop

The causes of slow play are simple imo

People taking too long over coached PSR
Poor management of their trolley - some attached to it
Not being ready when it’s your turn to play
Making card on green
And mainly - not playing ready golf

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not strictly true - a number of clubs removed it when the requirement to book was removed
As per my reply above, I find that remarkable, and I speak as someone who grudgingly accepted that we had to have a booking system imposed. It's been a revelation in pacing play, keeping log jams on the first tee away, I just cant fathom a club removing booking.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be fair, as its in the Constitution of the club there was no choice but to drop the booking system as soon as we were able to.
We had a vote a couple of months later but, as I've posted on other threads, a 3 line whip of this in favour of dropping the system ensured we did.
I'd prefer a booking system, as would a lot of members and the head greenkeeper but that battle has been lost.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

a booking system will help the pace of play a little

Every club will have pace of play issues at some stage and unless you have an on course marshall everywhere there isn’t much you can to stop

The causes of slow play are simple imo

People taking too long over coached PSR
Poor management of their trolley - some attached to it
Not being ready when it’s your turn to play
Making card on green
And mainly - not playing ready golf

How about those who can't walk very fast?