Slow play again

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I find its the outliers that cause the problems at both ends of the scale.

Faster players than me - everyone is slow and boy do they whine about it.

Slower players than me - Annoyingly oblivious and simply don't see an issue

Those somewhere in the middle (where I see myself 🤷‍♂️) are constantly trying to arbitrate between the two but affected by both. There is no complete solution IMHO - if speed is of the essence then prioritise a tee time that works for you and take control of it. At my club that generally means playing early or towards the end of the day, usually a few tee times left at the end. Alternatively, relax and enjoy your golf and focus on what you can control.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say I might not be the fastest but I am not slow, I will out pace people for sure. I try to move fast to the ball and take my time over the shots .. keep it in play and in a place that can be found.
The real time killer is this aim point on the greens.. some guys are fast some are just slow. Given our greens are subtle, we aren’t talking slopey so I don’t understand the time consumption. I do occasionally use a 1/2 form, just see if I can feel the break but otherwise I am look at it, get a line a couple practice swings eyes on the hole to get pace and then play.

Viewer

Visit site
Have to say I might not be the fastest but I am not slow, I will out pace people for sure. I try to move fast to the ball and take my time over the shots .. keep it in play and in a place that can be found.
The real time killer is this aim point on the greens.. some guys are fast some are just slow. Given our greens are subtle, we aren’t talking slopey so I don’t understand the time consumption. I do occasionally use a 1/2 form, just see if I can feel the break but otherwise I am look at it, get a line a couple practice swings eyes on the hole to get pace and then play.

How does aimpoint make them slow then? Does everyone at your course do it then? Maybe they shouldn’t if the greens are so subtle but albeit aim point should make them less ‘subtle’ and more real.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does aimpoint make them slow then? Does everyone at your course do it then? Maybe they shouldn’t if the greens are so subtle but albeit aim point should make them less ‘subtle’ and more real.
Yes I have been playing a very long time and have never played with anyone who used aimpoint.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to say that when I have played courses that have marshals out there it does go quicker. I notice that people do not mess around as much and play ready golf. When I lived near St Andrews, I had a NE Fife links ticket, so played the Old Course at least 3 or 4 times a month. The rounds always moved at a good pace thanks to the course marshals. Never had a problem with them and the couple of times my group got approached by them it was normally very polite and they just asked us to pick up the pace to keep up with the group in front. That was 20 years ago, so things might be different now there.

So maybe your local club needs to have volunteers to go out at weekends and monitor people's pace of play if they are that concerned about slow play.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are saying that sliwer players are displaying bad manners and oafish behaviour. That is offensive.

The logic on the shared resource is utterly flawed. They are not selfish. Are 90s shooters selfish, and 70s shooters are not ? Or are 70s shooters selfish from the perspective of a 65 shooter ?
The shared resource is time on the course not number of shots taken.
Many clubs have a speed laid out, golfs governing body have laid out guidelines, simplified, keep up or move over.
Surveys have indicated many times that a significant majority of golfers have their golf negatively affected by slow play.
If you are not acting in accordance with the guidelines you are taking up more of a shared common resource and negatively affecting the majority of other golfers.
This is quite simply selfish and oafish behaviour a bit like chucking empty beer cans on the course.

Viewer

Visit site
Many clubs have a speed laid out, golfs governing body have laid out guidelines, simplified, keep up or move over.
Surveys have indicated many times that a significant majority of golfers have their golf negatively affected by slow play.
If you are not acting in accordance with the guidelines you are taking up more of a shared common resource and negatively affecting the majority of other golfers.
This is quite simply selfish and oafish behaviour a bit like chucking empty beer cans on the course.

If slow player’s games are being affected by slow play then they should try to hurry up as it may help them!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
What utter garbage. Ridiculous comparison.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont doubt thats the case, and that many do. But it is too simplistic an analysis - and I will say prejudiced and biased, not only in the loaded term 'slow play' which has already shown the perspective of the user. Negatively affected from the perspective of one who regards anyone else not facilitating the world to be as the complainer wants it, to be in the wrong, and to be the one who should change. That is just arrogance.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont doubt thats the case, and that many do. But it is too simplistic an analysis - and I will say prejudiced and biased, not only in the loaded term 'slow play' which has already shown the perspective of the user. Negatively affected from the perspective of one who regards anyone else not facilitating the world to be as the complainer wants it, to be in the wrong, and to be the one who should change. That is just arrogance.
No the perspective is that of attempting to adhere to the desires of the clubs who attempt to keep play going for the enjoyment of their users.

I've yet to hear a complaint that the pace was to fast today.
It may happen but very very rarely.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I don't think it's just a "golf" issue, society as a whole has declined, people are just less considerate of others in everyday life.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
No the perspective is that of attempting to adhere to the desires of the clubs who attempt to keep play going for the enjoyment of their users.

I've yet to hear a complaint that the pace was to fast today.
It may happen but very very rarely.
Funnily enough I hear plenty of comments around being 'pushed' or harried despite being within acceptable time windows for the course or keeping up with play. These comments are by people just playing at an 'average' speed and are not likely to start stamping their feet about it. Unlike the 'faster than average' player behind them.... who huffs, puffs, folds their arms and eventually starts hitting balls sooner than they should.

Its a multi pronged issue and there is no outright solution. People (members) are different, if anyone expects others to always conform to their version of the truth in grey areas like this then they are in for a disappointing experience.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Funnily enough I hear plenty of comments around being 'pushed' or harried despite being within acceptable time windows for the course or keeping up with play. These comments are by people just playing at an 'average' speed and are not likely to start stamping their feet about it. Unlike the 'faster than average' player behind them.... who huffs, puffs, folds their arms and eventually starts hitting balls sooner than they should.

Its a multi pronged issue and there is no outright solution. People (members) are different, if anyone expects others to always conform to their version of the truth in grey areas like this then they are in for a disappointing experience.

If only there was an outright solution where faster players didn't get held up behind average/slower players.

Is it right that marathon races have the fastest athletes at the front of the field, followed by the club runners with the slowest towards the rear?

''the men’s elite race sets off just before the mass start at 9.40am. Then the fast runners go off at around 9.40am, with waves of runners then departing up until the last runners between 11-11.30am.''

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Weirdly I played the last three days all in 4 balls and today was by far the slowest but it took the least time 🤔