Slow play again

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you have 7 minute intervals, that's about 9 groups per hour.
If you have 10 minute intervals, that's about 6 groups per hour.
3 groups less per hour from 7am till 6pm is a significant drop in the number of competitors.
So about 100 golfers won't get a tee time.
What have I missed?

I think it suggests they can get more tee times at 7mins, but due to round duration a very similar number of groups will actually complete the round in daylight if they'd used 10 min spacing

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I don't think it's just a "golf" issue, society as a whole has declined, people are just less considerate of others in everyday life.
Totally spot on.
You see the same actions on our highways.
Consideration for others is key.
It would seriously bother me if my group were causing slow play.

In a medal, due to various circumstances, we were waved through 3 groups in one and a half holes.
This resulted in a hole and a half gap to fill in front of us.
We were practically running after our shots to close the gap just to avoid the pointy fingers. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Remember bob, you don’t get any shots back for being fastest in the Monthly Medal!

What's that got to do with anything?

At times it’s really easy to see just how out of touch you are with Golf Clubs.👍🏻

Maybe so, but I can still spot a fool from a mile away

I think it suggests they can get more tee times at 7mins, but due to round duration a very similar number of groups will actually complete the round in daylight if they'd used 10 min spacing

But you still lose 3 tee times per hour 7am-3pm
24 tee times is 72 golfers not getting a tee time.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I played yesterday afternoon at Weald of Kent and endured a 5hr round due to a society.

At one point there was a 3 hole gap between the groups

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We were practically running after our shots to close the gap just to avoid the pointy fingers. :)
This is why it's important to know why there are gaps in the field....
Just because you're a hole and a half behind the group in front it doesn't automatically mean you're in the wrong

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What's that got to do with anything?

Maybe so, but I can still spot a fool from a mile away

But you still lose 3 tee times per hour 7am-3pm
24 tee times is 72 golfers not getting a tee time.

But many of those don't get to finish their game. So its a tee time that's been wasted (in terms of playing a round of golf) and its contributed to a slower play for the entire day

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is why it's important to know why there are gaps in the field....
Just because you're a hole and a half behind the group in front it doesn't automatically mean you're in the wrong
I played out in Spain with 2 other pros and we caught up with a slow 2-ball on the front 9.
Fortunately, they finished after 9 and went in.
When we got round to the 10th tee, the starter told us off for losing 3 holes on the group in front.

But many of those don't get to finish their game. So its a tee time that's been wasted (in terms of playing a round of golf) and its contributed to a slower play for the entire day

Experience and the time of year should inform you when the latest tee time is to finish in daylight

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I played out in Spain with 2 other pros and we caught up with a slow 2-ball on the front 9.
Fortunately, they finished after 9 and went in.
When we got round to the 10th tee, the starter told us off for losing 3 holes on the group in front.

Experience and the time of year should inform you when the latest tee time is to finish in daylight

I guess that's the issue in a nutshell

you book say a 3pm tee time expecting to finish in daylight assuming the expected round duration of XX, but... Because the tee spacing was set at (an unsuitable) 7 min gap, the pace of the day is say 45mins longer. So all its done is jam the course with players creating slow rounds for everyone all day... plus (in my example) the last 6/7 groups couldn't even finish

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess that's the issue in a nutshell

you book say a 3pm tee time expecting to finish in daylight assuming the expected round duration of XX, but... Because the tee spacing was set at (an unsuitable) 7 min gap, the pace of the day is say 45mins longer. So all its done is jam the course with players creating slow rounds for everyone all day... plus (in my example) the last 6/7 groups couldn't even finish
That's why I said ''Experience and the time of year''
You'll know if it's 7 minute intervals, it could be 5 hours and if it gets dark at 7.30, don't book a 3pm tee time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You'll know if it's 7 minute intervals, it could be 5 hours and if it gets dark at 7.30, don't book a 3pm tee time.

and the poor visitors who were told by the club that a round 'should take around 4 hours' don't have the local player experience to know that the reality is an hour longer than the official stated expected duration, so paid a green fee and had to get torches out to walk-in somewhere on the back 9

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The other problem with 10 minute tee times is the bun fight when the comp sheet goes up in the shop.
Too may people chasing not enough tee times.
There used to be a guy at my old club who would be waiting for me to open the shop and then filled in the first 4 slots.
That was stopped.
I know it's mostly done online now but not by all clubs

and the poor visitors who were told by the club that a round 'should take around 4 hours' don't have the local player experience to know that the reality is an hour longer than the official stated expected duration, so paid a green fee and had to get torches out to walk-in somewhere on the back 9

Not many visitors would play behind a comp at the weekend...and the pro should know how long a round takes

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And if you can’t play earlier in the day?

We’re not all retired with nothing else to do!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The other problem with 10 minute tee times is the bun fight when the comp sheet goes up in the shop.
Too may people chasing not enough tee times.
There used to be a guy at my old club who would be waiting for me to open the shop and then filled in the first 4 slots.
That was stopped.
I know it's mostly done online now but not by all clubs

Not many visitors would play behind a comp at the weekend...and the pro should know how long a round takes

Who mentioned a comp

BiMGuy

Visit site
It's only once a month
Oh, that’s alright then. I presume a discount in fees would be offered to compensate for not being able to complete a quarter of my rounds?

10 minute spacing helps. We have them at all times. But it still doesn’t stop a few groups slowing the pace of play down. And it doesn’t help when people don’t stick to their allotted time and tee off early.

At Ely you tee off just as the group in front are out of range on a tricky par 4. Then play a short par 3 and a reachable par 5. It’s madness and groups are backed up right from the off.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It's only once a month

I did, all the way through this thread...the monthly medal. But does it matter?

How many clubs only have 1 medal a month?

I think we alternate stableford/medal on sundays, but then we have a shot gun start for every men’s division comp that starts at 8 on a Sunday morning.

What do you suggest for fixing slow play in this situation Bob? Oh, and we have a lot of high handicappers, so they get to play a lot of shots before they would have to pick up in a stableford.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh, that’s alright then. I presume a discount in fees would be offered to compensate for not being able to complete a quarter of my rounds?

10 minute spacing helps. We have them at all times. But it still doesn’t stop a few groups slowing the pace of play down. And it doesn’t help when people don’t stick to their allotted time and tee off early.

At Ely you tee off just as the group in front are out of range on a tricky par 4. Then play a short par 3 and a reachable par 5. It’s madness and groups are backed up right from the off.
I'm not sure I understand your question.
You say 10 minute spacing helps, but that means less tee times available, especially in the winter.
So more people after fewer slots.
If you want to play earlier in the day, get to the booking system earlier before all the spaces go.
Or
Organise your life better so you can play later.
The golf club doesn't revolve around one person.
Personally I would have 8 minute intervals and close the sheet 5 hours before dark.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How many clubs only have 1 medal a month?
The monthly medal is the main comp at most clubs I believe, and is held monthly.
I know there are other comps held but the same rules would apply.
What do you suggest for fixing slow play in this situation Bob? Oh, and we have a lot of high handicappers, so they get to play a lot of shots before they would have to pick up in a stableford.
There's is not a lot you can do to influence the pace of play on a shotgun start except maybe using an on course marshall and maybe a drone

BiMGuy

Visit site
You say 10 minute spacing helps, but that means less tee times available, especially in the winter.
If you want to play earlier in the day, get to the booking system earlier before all the spaces go.
Or
Personally I would have 8 minute intervals and close the sheet 5 hours before dark.
There are fewer times available, but also fewer people wanting to play in winter.

Anyway, I’m out as I need to go and tell the wife, kids and my boys football team that I am stopping all weekend morning activities with them as I am organising my life better to play golf earlier.

Must be nice to have nothing else to think about!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Or

I guess you have a particular course/s in mind when setting your 8min spacing.

I think each individual course would set the most suitable tee spacing for their course/s. It’s just not possible to say if 7,8,9,10 is suitable without a correct assessment inc the various factors specific to each course, layout, condition, the event/format, the expected weather, standard of player etc etc

I also guess Clubs won’t do it daily or weekly or even monthly, so they should probably err on the side of caution rather than the optimum. No point in spacing at 8mins all the time if that’s the exception and its often better to have 9 or 10 mins