Slice to hook!!!!!!!!!

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
When I first took up golf I hd a slice. I didn't extend my arms out from my body and failed to turn my hands over when striking the ball.

I corrected that after a couple of lessons and now something else is creeping in that I am at a loss for.

My drives more often than not fade away high and to the right. Unfortunately now I seem to have developed a hook that comes into play with my lower irons and every so often my driver.

I have a feeling my hands are turning over too much and that my body is getting ahead of my hands as well.

Any ideas or tips for anything that I can work on down the range this week? I have a outing on saturday that I'd like to get round in less than a 100!!!!

I'm off 21 and I'm quite happy with my shortgame on adaroun the green. It's just the ball striking and these bloody ball movements that are twisting my melons!!!!!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I also went from horrific slice to horrific hook.

Not yet solved it.

So I can't really help you I'm afraid.

But the kind folk on this form have put most of it down to grip, grip, and er, grip, after I post some pics. Far too strong it was. Blindpete will avail you of the horror at some point if you ask him!

D

Deleted member 1147

I went from hook to slice and now I'm not doing too badly.

My main problem always used to be that my swing was too flat (as per the video lesson).

I was inconsistent when I hit the ball, I'd either swing around myself on the way down and slice it, or cast at the start of the down swing and hook it.

By my backswing being more virtical I've significantly reduced the problem.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
The biggest fault with most golfers, especially beginners, is getting through the ball properly. The amount of players I see with a reasonable back swing to then keep their weight on their right foot resulting in a slice. The other one is to have a good back swing to then come over the top. In other words, starting the down swing from the top instead of the bottom. This can result in a pull hook or you end up trying to steer the ball to correct a wrong.

This little Hogan vid really sums it up and is so important to a good ball strike.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey.....one of the most common problems in golf......

I'd bet your "hook" with the short irons is actually a pull hook, which means......drum roll.......

You are actually getting good at squaring the face or even closing it a tad through impact. GREAT!

Now, all you have to do is fix your path to either dead straight or a little in-out.

Chances are (and no dig at Gil-E, everyone's different) you are in need of either flattening your plane or learning not to spin you torso open on the downswing. Practice plenty of "pumping drills" when you pull the club down from the top and go back to the top and/or use the drills for creating a more in-out path, either the shaft drill (which I do every practice) or TonyN's 3 ball drill courtesy of t'internet.

If I were you, don't worry, be happy, just trust in the physics, learn to push it a bit and you'll be safe soon enough.

D

Deleted member 1147

.......Chances are (and no dig at Gil-E, everyone's different).......

No prob's RGUK like you say we're all different.

I know when I hit a low, weak slice or a big hook that I've lifted my heal to trigger my down swing. This is my new main reason for the hooks and slices as I come over the top to hit the ball rather than pulling down to my right pocket. But originally it my flat swing - in slow-mo you could see how it happened so clearly!