Skinny/ Pencil Bags

139sroberts

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking into skinny bags as an alternative to my usual big Titleist cart bag and trolley, particularly when I want to have a quick 9 holes after work, which will fit nicely into the boot of my car with a 1/2 or 1/3 set of clubs.

I have my eye on the Nike Skinny II Carry.

My only query about skinny bags (with no stand) is club protection. I believe they do not stand upright during play on their own, so, when placing them on the ground to play a shot during a round, are my clubs, and I am mainly thinking of my wedges and putter, likely to get damaged and/ or marked?

I would appreciate any other comments on the topic too if any are forth coming.

Thanks,

Steve

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not if you put the bag down gently, no. However there will be an element of bag chatter as they will rattle as you walk. How much they mark will depend on the clubs, forged will mark more than cast, unless you use head covers.

More to the point, the bag will be wet when you carry it, and sometimes muddy. Better to get one with a stand for winter use.

Pinseeker

Club Champion
www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk
i really do not understand the point of these bags! You can buy a stand bag that weighs 3.5pounds so why on earth would anyone want to buy a flimsy bag where you clubs bash together and your constantly bending over to pick the thing up and also no pocketes for drinks, valuables, waterproofs etc. Please someone point out the advantages of these things!

buy either the OGIO vapourlite or the sun moutain superlight and be glad you did!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Advantages.....£25 instead of £85 and a whole whole lot lighter,you can buy plenty now with enough room for waterproofs,balls,drinks the lot,Mizuno scratchsac,titleist with a double strap,seen a callaway one similar too.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The other advantage is storage. When you put a pencil bag in the boot, there is loads of room for other stuff. Especially useful for holiday packing, where boot space is at a premium.

steve

Club Champion
Visit site
try the titleist x81,i have got one,loads of pockets ,very light,good stand and looks great .you should be able to get one for around 50 quid. :D

139sroberts

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. Taking the advice on board, i am now erring towards somthing more practical, if a little bigger.

The Wilson Staff Feather 2lb Mini StandBag has now caught my eye.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a fairly simple Cally pencil bag. It has two pockets, one holds the balls the other anything you like.
I only use this when playing with just a few clubs so if you want to stuff w/proofs into the top you can (this can be an advantage as it will stop the clubs rattling against each other.

Visit site
The wilson staff featherlite carry bag is superb.

About £25-£35

Very small stand (about 6inches) but keeps off the mud etc.

I have used for 2 full seasons without fault.

139sroberts

Hacker
Visit site
The wilson staff featherlite carry bag is superb.

About £25-£35

Very small stand (about 6inches) but keeps off the mud etc.

I have used for 2 full seasons without fault.

I have just noticed Wilson have 2 versions. Are you using the 2lb or 3lb version?

Thanks,

Steve

DCB

Visit site
Re - Scratchsac,

Yep, it's even got a wee mesh pocket on the outside where you can put your..............

water bottle !

Use one of these for holidays and when out for a wee practice in the long summer evenings. Has been a good bag, good base on it. So far it hasn't given me any problems. Holds a full set if necessary (holidays) and is great for a half set for a quick 9 on a glorious summers evening. Not been used much this year then!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too have little understanding for the pencil bag. If you are hardly ever going to use one then you may as well use a light cheap standard bag with leg stands and protect whats in there to a degree,there are some fairly narrow/small/light ones out there.

If its a case of room in the boot, I dont understand why anyone would risk cramming stuff in and risking damage.When my clubs go in they go alone, if there is stuff in the boot they go on back seat.

Unless you use one all the time or as your main use bag I cant understand why anyone would want one?

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a Mizuno weekender pencil bag, We go camping during the summer and there is a lovely nine holer on the site. Car space is very limited and as i only need a half set of clubs this bag serves very well , light weight, slim profile , ample pockets ,good izzo strap and with a stand.
This frees up quite a lot of car space as i don't need to take my pull trolley and the bag is only half the bulk of my trolley bag.
The odd round carrying the cart bag is ok, but i'm up there 5 or 6 times a day, it's where i hone my short game and sand practice.
Mizuno bag £35

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless you use one all the time or as your main use bag I cant understand why anyone would want one?

simple in my case. got it early on when playing par 3's and not wanting to take everything round. now it's useful when I want a 'quickish blitz' with just a few clubs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a pencil bag from my parents as my first ever bag. It managed to eventually cram a full set in (started with 1/2 set and built it up) and even a waterproof jacket. Not ideal but as a kid you made do. Not sure I'd bother although when GM played Ascot earlier in the year Jezz Ellwood had a 1/2 set in a Callaway pencil bag (with little stand) and he managed to knock it round in +1 gross

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use one all the time,don't use driver or 3 wood so only have 10 clubs max most of the time anyway.

Great for summer just leave it in the boot for all those quick 9 holes

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im starting to get some reasoning for one now, especially the holiday camping one. I stand enlightened.