Singles match strategy different depending on handicap of opponent?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The hardest thing for me is getting over the fact of giving lots of shots away. I think it's better to play to your strengths and try and win all the holes they don't get a shot, try not to compound bad shots, by following them up with another.
Sometimes being overly aggressive can get you in trouble. I played a guy last year who I was giving 15 shots to, I felt I needed to birdie every hole and that got to me in the end, I should have just just played as normal.

CountLippe

Visit site
Depends on the course and what kind of golfer you are. If you normally play the course the same way every time you play, then I wouldn't recommend changing anything.

If you often 'mix it up' whether it be course conditions or how well your hitting it, then these options can be tailored to you opponent as your used to playing the hole in different ways. E.g. Long par 4's (shot holes) and par 5's (No shots).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

I definitely have a different strategy when playing stroke play to matchplay, I'll definitely try and "prove" I'm worthy of my lower handicap, but my expectation of what shots he will play I think I'll set high so I'm not constantly disappointed that he's hit another fairway or another green in regulation, I can't control that, and if it happens and I need to start making some long putts I better not leave them short!
Can't help think that you may be overthinking it slightly. All you need to do is remember where your opponent is getting extra shots, and then make sure you take 1 less (half) or 2 less (win). This just means, if he is in the cabbage with no hope of getting to the green, assess weather you should try and reach the green or of you can afford to lay up. Golf is hard enough without trying to work out strategies, etc. Just hit, find, repeat

phillarrow

Visit site
This thread has made me realise that I was never as good as I thought I was...even when I was better than I am now. :oops:

My strategy in golf has always been the same, regardless of what I'm playing or who I am playing against:

1) Hit it off the tee as far as I can and hope it stays in bounds/not too lost in the rough.
2) Hit it towards the sticky up thing with a flag on top.
3) Chip or putt it closer to the hole in the ground that the sticky up thing sits in.
4) Repeat stage 3 for as many times as it takes until it drops in - which is usually too many times!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This thread has made me realise that I was never as good as I thought I was...even when I was better than I am now. :oops:

My strategy in golf has always been the same, regardless of what I'm playing or who I am playing against:

1) Hit it off the tee as far as I can and hope it stays in bounds/not too lost in the rough.
3) Chip or putt it closer to the hole in the ground that the sticky up thing sits in.
4) Repeat stage 3 for as many times as it takes until it drops in - which is usually too many times!

So if your opponent has the honour on the first and hits his drive OOB, you'd still try and hit it as far as you can?

phillarrow

Visit site
So if your opponent has the honour on the first and hits his drive OOB, you'd still try and hit it as far as you can?

Yep! Because 99% of the time that I try to play safe off the tee, it ends up going worse!

I play my best golf when my mind is empty and my swing is free. Anything else just doesn't work for me!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your giving lots of shot, just hope that they are not a bandit.
I’ve played plenty of mid teens handicappers who seemingly have lifeys when playing against me and play to single figures…
Played a 26hcp that played to 10. Got thumped that day.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only thing I would do differently when giving away lots of shots would be to calm down a bit off the tee and play more sensibly into greens. Obviously as the hole progresses you may need to change based on what your oppo is doing.

Pretty much every time I play with a high-ish handicapper they expect me to flush every shot and never get in trouble. They soon learn that’s not true, but in matchplay I’d try to show them what they’re expecting for as long as possible and that would mean not going for distance off the tee and playing to the middle of greens. That’s the best way imo to make them try shots they wouldn’t normally try thinking they need to do something special to beat you.

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Definitely believe there is a different strategy depending on the format you're playing...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't be obtuse. It's quite clear what the OP is suggesting.
I'm not being obtuse.

If OP and his opponent were both 5 hcap I apologise...but it wasn't at all clear to me given the question asked that they are - only @Kennysarmy can clarify that one.

My point is very simply that I know that my tee shot when I get a shot is often different than if I don't. And we know from here (as I do from my own experience) that some newbies to matchplay especially don't realised you difference off the lowest. So if both handicaps are the same that doesn't mean they get the same number of shots in the match...it means neither get any.

I was only looking to help if there had been a misunderstanding by OP around how shots are worked out in a match. Sorry for asking.

Last edited:

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I'm not being obtuse.

If OP and his opponent were both 5 hcap I apologise...but it wasn't at all clear to me given the question asked that they are - only @Kennysarmy can clarify that one.

My point is very simply that I know that my tee shot when I get a shot is often different than if I don't. And we know from here (as I do from my own experience) that some newbies to matchplay especially don't realised you difference off the lowest. So if both handicaps are the same that doesn't mean they get the same number of shots in the match...it means neither get any.

I was only looking to help if there had been a misunderstanding by OP around how shots are worked out in a match. Sorry for asking.

Apologies for confusion. Perhaps should have worded better, we both worked out our playing handicaps as 5, so had no shots in the match.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id just echo whats been said before, the player getting shots will have internal pressure to play well on those holes that he gets a shot.

Just go steady on those holes and manage your risks and you should come out on top. As he is normally off 18 (I assume 18-5=13 shots) the player is not going to be hitting many GIR - then its just a short game/ putting contest.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Id just echo whats been said before, the player getting shots will have internal pressure to play well on those holes that he gets a shot.

Just go steady on those holes and manage your risks and you should come out on top. As he is normally off 18 (I assume 18-5=13 shots) the player is not going to be hitting many GIR - then its just a short game/ putting contest.

I’ve kind of found the opposite (off high teens I’m the player who usual gets shots in a match) What happens for me is if I get a shot on a hole it actually takes the pressure right off me

I never set out or target to win any particular hole, my aim is not to lose any hole. In match play I don’t need to win any specific number of holes just because I get a shot or its a tame par 3/short par 5 with a stroke etc. Seventeen half’s and win one hole is all that’s needed (by either player) :giggle:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't have extensive matchplay experience but those I've played in have generally not been decided by who plays best (compared to handicap) the winner has usually been the person who made fewest mistakes compared to handicap

I've found playing to around 36 stableford points will often get the win regardless of handicap

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said, don’t give anything away, don’t be overly aggressive even all hope appears lost.

Do not underestimate the potential for those with a higher handicap to balls a hole up from what seems like a straightforward position. A knifed wedge, a wild putt, a duff, you name it, it’s possible. And those possibilities become ever more possible if you keep the pressure on by hitting greens in regulation and just keeping the pressure on throughout the hole.

If they have a good day, you might be in trouble. You just have to accept that, as you do when inevitably they get a couple of pars. It doesn’t mean they won’t also chuck one or two holes away when they seem to have them won!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OP. You’ve worked hard at your game and scoring 77 or better is good golf. They don’t need to play technically great golf to beat you. That’s what is mentally difficult, when you play a hole really well but lip out for bird, they scab a couple and hole a lucky par and win the hole with a shot. As many as 10 times. ? Or you’re playing good solid GIR par golf and cant get get a win because they’re shooting ropey bogey after bogey.

I get exactly what you’re saying. How do you raise your game when you’re already at capacity and the oppo doesn’t feel like he’s playing the same game or course with all his shots? Welcome to singles handicap golf as a lower handicap. It’s not the same as someone off 14 giving someone off 24 ten shots. The 14 handicap could play bogey golf and win. You have to play par golf or better most of the time, there’s far less room for error. You wont get many lucky birdies in a season not mind one match. Anyone saying that’s just what you have to do cos you’re lower is saying “that’s your punishment for being good at the game”. Hardly a fair argument.

All I’ll say is if they’re not cheating (I.e. deliberately playing to a higher handicap than they need be), then if they beat you, take it on the chin. And think about playing scratch golf somewhere. I have no words of comfort if they’re cheating or WHS is giving them far more comfort room than they need. Last year was rough for the low men in our club. Hopefully things will start settling out this year and we just need to worry about the new entrants who aren’t getting cut quickly or at all thanks to the foibles of the new system.