Signing a scorecard

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imo, as you have stated, they are there to assist the players in complying with Rule 3.3b. However, I don't believe that they have any authority (unless they are also designated as a referee).
Some are, some aren't. But it makes sense.

Steven Rules

Visit site
However, I must admit I have never really known what the official title or job specification is of those people behind the desk at these elite events. Are they 'Returning Officers'?
My experience is that the role/title is listed as "Scorecard Return".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reading through the various arguments and rules stated on this thread I conclude that, if I so do wish, I may sign my scorecard at any point before, during or after my round. Not that I’ve ever done anything other than sign it after the round.

I conclude that my certification of my score is required for the purposes of the competition organisers knowing that my score is certified by both my marker and myself…they do not particularly care when, or indeed how, my own certification of my score was done as long as it has evidentially been done - the evidence being my signature on the card.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm struggling to work out what the benefit is of signing a card beforehand. If you have the card in your hand at the end of the round to check the scores then why wouldn't you sign it at the same moment? What benefit is there to be had by signing it at the beginning and then also checking it at the end?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm struggling to work out what the benefit is of signing a card beforehand. If you have the card in your hand at the end of the round to check the scores then why wouldn't you sign it at the same moment? What benefit is there to be had by signing it at the beginning and then also checking it at the end?
Shep, as an ex Handicap Sec (and also assisting the Competition Secretary), I have noted that players have been DQed many times for failing to sign the card. Or their marker failing to sign it. Certain individuals may be guilty of it more than once.

Ideally, we would remember to do it at the end of the round. But, people are forgetful, they are in a rush, they get distracted by the chat going around them, and they just rush through the process and simply forget. For anyone that has been caught out by that before, I am sure they will be encouraged to sign the card pre-round, or at any point during the round when it crosses their mind, to avoid getting penalised by absent mindedness at the end. It becomes a ritual for some people, and I think it almost becomes second nature to sign the card as soon as they get it.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Shep, as an ex Handicap Sec (and also assisting the Competition Secretary), I have noted that players have been DQed many times for failing to sign the card. Or their marker failing to sign it. Certain individuals may be guilty of it more than once.

Ideally, we would remember to do it at the end of the round. But, people are forgetful, they are in a rush, they get distracted by the chat going around them, and they just rush through the process and simply forget. For anyone that has been caught out by that before, I am sure they will be encouraged to sign the card pre-round, or at any point during the round when it crosses their mind, to avoid getting penalised by absent mindedness at the end. It becomes a ritual for some people, and I think it almost becomes second nature to sign the card as soon as they get it.

Are you saying that signing a card at the beginning of a round is a sign of senility? :D

Swango1980

Visit site
I’m struggling to understand why someone could forget to sign at the end of the road, but not at the beginning?
They might forget at the beginning. But, if they do, they might remember after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. And, worst-case, hopefully they remember by the end anyway.

I suspect if some simply leave it to the end, it gives them only one chance to sign it. If they forget in that moment, disaster :)

I personally just sign at the end, like most I find it an easy thing to remember. However, I've played with 5 or 6 people over the last year who have given me their pre-signed card, when I've been their marker.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m struggling to understand why someone could forget to sign at the end of the road, but not at the beginning?

Wait till you get to my age.

Seriously at the before the beginning of a round I have nobody hassling me about other things (but not always) so it it easy to act in a calm and considered manner. At the end of the round there can be so many distractions from other club related issues it can be easy to forget.

My usual marker takes the mick about me signing before hand but we have had at least one in our group DQd for not signing their card.

I know when I act as scorer I always ask the player if they have signed before handing me the card and there is often a few that have not and we had one DQ at the weekend for card not signed.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder how many clubs will adopt the new local rule (MLR L1) which mitigates the penalty for failing to certify a score from DQ to 2 strokes.

I reckon it's a good thing. DQs should be for serious misconduct and siginificant advantages, not for forgetful moments.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Now that's a bad attitude for a competition sec!
Would it be any better if 'can' was replaced by 'have to'? Many of the scorecard boxes I've seen have warnings reminding players to ensure they have signed their card. As for signing own scorecard before playing, I can't see the difference between that and using the checking process as a memory trigger to do so!

Last edited: