Signature sizes suggestion

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mikeh et al,
Can we put a limit on the size of signatures on the forum, there are quite a few out there that unintentionally taking up half of a screen on a notebook LCD screen and its getting harder and harder to differentiate between posts and signatures.
From experience most forums limit siggys to 4 lines or a small image and I can see the value in this. We have biography and other areas in our profiles that can show what we have kit wise.
Can we organise a couple of mods to keep things straight also Mikeh, recently a few posts have either wandered or probably needed moderated in some sort or form, I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to digressing and am not insinuating towards any single party, it would just keep things tidier.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Can we organise a couple of mods to keep things straight also Mikeh, recently a few posts have either wandered or probably needed moderated in some sort or form, I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to digressing and am not insinuating towards any single party, it would just keep things tidier.

:eek: Part of me agrees with this, it would keep things all luvy-duvy , but as someone who follows the forum much more than i post , it certainly keeps it interesting , often comical.I suppose it's not so good when people openly insult or take things personally but other wise it keeps it lively :eek:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The thing is andy, forums are notoriously difficult to convey banter, its easier to sound sarcastic or negative when someone was not intent on any offence. Thank christ for smilies! :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
That is the problem. Things being taken out of context, and taken personally, when in fact no harm was meant. We tend to self regulate from that point of view.

Though I must admit to having deleted entire posts, before posting, as having re-read them, it may not come across as I would have wished.

ps I hope Brendy takes my new sig the right way ;) :p

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do folks add their clubs to their signature? It is pointless. You may as well put your favourite food in the clubhouse or yer favourite pint. To be honest I would like to see some pictures so I can put faces to names.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I followed the trend as everyone else listed their kit. I take your point and have taken mine out and added my picture. Sadly it seems as big if not bigger than my original siganture and even though I've adjusted the original picture it still posts in a large format. I've sent a PM to the GM guys so hopefully they can find a way of shrinking me to fit.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Homer, if you want I could shrink it and stick it onto my photobucket? A couple of versions reworked a touch to bring you out of the background.
homer1.jpg

homer2.jpg

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why do folks add their clubs to their signature? It is pointless.

I always thought it was quite useful to see what clubs other people were using. If, for instance, you saw that a particular member was using a certain driver that you fancied buying you could get in touch with him to find out what he thought of it.
Maybe I got it wrong?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Smiffy, there is merit in that though if I was thinking of buying a club, Id research it on more than one persons say so. Id post a query on the forum and get multiple replies though I do that with everything haha. My recent dslr purchase was only made after hours of research on the web, glad I did though.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why do folks add their clubs to their signature? It is pointless. You may as well put your favourite food in the clubhouse or yer favourite pint. To be honest I would like to see some pictures so I can put faces to names.

Some times I like to do pointless things, the same as you putting up your photograph (I take it that it is you) that seems pointless to me. If your argument of putting faces to names was to ring true, then shouldn't it be a head shot?

BTW we have a guest ale on at the moment Dartmoor, lovely pint ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy, there is merit in that though if I was thinking of buying a club, Id research it on more than one persons say so. Id post a query on the forum and get multiple replies though I do that with everything haha. My recent dslr purchase was only made after hours of research on the web, glad I did though.

Appreciate what you are saying, but suppose you were looking for a second hand Benny Driver (for instance) and saw that another member had one of them in their bag (because it told you in their signature).
You could drop them a quick PM asking if they were thinking of selling it at anytime to let you know...that way nipping in before the item went up on general sale or maybe missing out on it if you were busy elsewhere.
I am also a member of a photography forum and all the members have their cameras, lenses etc. shown in their sigs.
I can't see what the problem is myself?
;)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, Im not against show and tell, its the sheer size of the signatures, its tantamount to willy wangling, who has the biggest signature!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brendy and Smiffy

Thanks for all your help. To be fair I wasn't aware how big my signature was. I listed my clubs as that was what the majority were/are doing and not for some ego thing.

I have to be fair and say I can see merits in both arguments but now I've got a half decent pic up I'll stick with it for a while. I think its going to be one of those where you won't please everyone and so there'll need to be compromises on both sides

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
fix the avatar problem and your pic could go there, of course it would be small and better suited to headshots.

alternative is to do some work with the pics so that 'what's in your bag' can go alongside rather than below.

how fashions change. not so long ago, 'what's in your bag' was a popular item and no more willy wangling than telling all and sundry about the latest new set of irons.

freduk

Hacker
Visit site
I think that Id rather see what clubs someone has got than a posed picture of them playing golf. I think that its a bit odd wanting to put up a picture of yourself