Side saddle

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So apparently the mad scientist himself, bryson de chambeau, has said by 2017 he'll be putting side saddle.

I can't see the benefits myself but would love to see it done by a professional.

Thoughts?

mwm118

Medal Winner
Visit site
From my small amount of research it seems that many people change due the way it helps alignment, but have yet to see many articles/people mention pace of the putts with this technique. If this technique isn't good with the pace of the putt then I can't see it taking off, even if it drastically helps with aim

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looks like an option, like different grips and putters etc.

I wonder if it goes against one of the fundamental parts of golf, they way we address the ball. It is this which differentiates Golf from other sports.

No rule is untouchable but those which set golf apart from other sports must be offered a higher level of review.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It looks like an option, like different grips and putters etc.

I wonder if it goes against one of the fundamental parts of golf, they way we address the ball. It is this which differentiates Golf from other sports.

No rule is untouchable but those which set golf apart from other sports must be offered a higher level of review.

I doubt it, Sam Snead adopted it years ago after they changed to rules to stop him putting croquet style and straddling the line. Can't see an issue with it myself.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Full judgement will be reserved until he has played tournaments with it....however, my initial thought is that it can not be more effective than the methods being used now!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Haven't seen the interview.
Jack's putting style was considered unorthodox, although not side saddle.
Be interesting to see it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
He's just looking to be in the news again now that his one length clubs no longer grab the headlines.

I heard from a good source that for the same reason he was looking at a biased ball (like in bowls) but it didn't comply with the rules.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I doubt it, Sam Snead adopted it years ago after they changed to rules to stop him putting croquet style and straddling the line. Can't see an issue with it myself.

Sam Snead used it later on in his career to overcome the putting yips. His first fix was putting croquet style between the legs, but that was quickly banned by the powers that be. I have come across several elderly golfers who putt sidesaddle style, presumably for the same reason. Facing the target may also give you better depth perception (due to binocular vision) and judgement of distance, although I haven't yet tried it.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Snead used it for a second place finish at the 1974 PGA Championship won be Lee Trevino. Snead was 62.

Saw him at the RAC at Epsom in 1980 when he was 68. Never seen so many pros stop to watch another pro practice. Never seen such a smooth swing hit a ball so far. A 77 & 2 71's saw him finish at 3 over, level with a certain Ewen Murray.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the guys i play with went though a faze of doing this on short putts, looked very very strange, but far better than the yippy stroke he used before.

what ever gets you in the hole i suppose. This guy was a fantastic ball striker it was horrible to watch on the green though!!!:(